General Movie News Thread

20thCenturyBoy

Thousand Master
I thought seeing as we have an anime news thread and general anime discussion thread that it might be best to have one for movies too? It would mean all the news for things like Batman/Superman, Avengers 2, etc. as well as lesser films that might not get as much attention, could go into the one thread.

This might end up with me just posting loads of stuff and no one else caring :lol: , but let's give it a go anyway.

Though it's unlikely to succeed, as these things rarely do, there is an official petition and facebook page to campaign to get a sequel to the awesome and manly Dredd. The campaign is being driven by Rebellion the company behind 2000AD, the home of the Judge Dredd comic. I've signed and 'liked' the pages and hope more people do, but I think it will likely be all in vain, if you haven't seen Dredd then I personally urge you all to do so.

Giving us a nice Japanese connection is the trailer, at long last, for the much delayed Keanu Reeves flick 47 Ronin. I've got a bit of a soft spot for old Keanu and think he gets a bit of a bum rap, the guy actually has an incredible personal story and how anyone can look at the sad/happy Keanu pictures and not love him is beyond me? This one's went through some production problems, which usually is a bad sign, but the trailer was better than I expected, World War Z showed all the same signs of problems but came out fighting, plus these posters for the film look quite cool:

47r_tsr1sheet_keanu_rgb_0722_1_big.jpg

47r_tsr1sheet_woman_rgb_0719_1_big.jpg

47r_tsr1sheet_armor_rgb_0719_1_big.jpg

47r_tsr1sheet_skull_rgb_0722_1_big.jpg

There are plans for a new instalment in the Rocky franchise...Not about Rocky. According to this there have been talks to make a movie about Apollo Creed's grandson who decides to become a boxer and seeks out Rocky as his mentor. It's novel, but I'm not convinced. When I first seen the headline I imagined it was going to be some sort of prequel focussing on Apollo Creed, and the thought of anyone but the mighty Carl Weathers as Creed irked me some. But when I saw the outline for the plot and the potential involvement and endorsement of Stallone it made it seem a bit better, but I still have my doubts.

Lastly, it seems not one, but two JCVD's classics are up for a remake: Bloodsport and Kickboxer. All I want to know is when are we getting a Street Fighter remake? (And no, Legend of Chun-Li does not count!)

"All You Need Is Kill" has been renamed to "Edge of Tomorrow". All I can think of now is:

LIVE AND LEARN! HANGING ON THE EDGE OF TOMORROW!

Last edited by a moderator:
The maestro himself, John Williams, is returning to score Star Wars Episode VII, as well as VIII and IX. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I really hope this is a great. I was/am slightly concerned it won't be, but this clip is classic Alan.

vashdaman said:
I really hope this is a great. I was/am slightly concerned it won't be, but this clip is classic Alan.

"What's the worst 'monger'? Fish, iron, rumour or war?"

Classic Partridge indeed.

SO looking forward to this, every time I see the trailer it looks better and better.

Trailer for Diana has been released.

Urgh. This is going to win at least one Oscar, isn't it? Especially after the baby having been born.

Have to say this looks incredibly bad from this teaser. I loved the last film but this looks awful. Not helped by the fact it has Gervais :evil:

Though, it does have the wonderful Ty Burrell.

And last but not least, Bruce Willis is officially out of Expendable 3 and Harrison Ford is in. I don't care much for either guy, as long as there's plenty of everyone else and explosions and blood and manliness then I'm happy.

A Diana film? I suppose it was only a matter of time wasn't it. That's one film I don't think I will ever have the impulse to watch.

New Thor: The Dark World trailer.

Looks so good. Less mucking about on Earth more gallivanting and fighting in the the rest of the 9 worlds.

I certainly hope there are less Earth scenes - they ruined the first movie for me.

And watch the Diana film not even touch the subject of what the majority of people believe really happened 9.9.

Of the solo Marvel Phase 1 films, Thor was definitely my second favourite behind Iron Man 1, so I'm really looking forward to the second one. I hope they keep the careful balance of humour and drama that the first one pulled off so well.

Ath said:
Of the solo Marvel Phase 1 films, Thor was definitely my second favourite behind Iron Man 1, so I'm really looking forward to the second one. I hope they keep the careful balance of humour and drama that the first one pulled off so well.
I have yet to see The Incredible Hulk, but my favourite Phase 1 film was easily Captain America: The First Avenger. I don't really care about Cap's character much, but the film itself was brilliant, with how it really managed to grab the feel of World War II nostalgia films and the Red Skull's similarities to Hitler. Second of course, is the first Iron Man.

To be honest, the Marvel movies I'm looking forward to the most are Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Doctor Strange.

The Incredible Hulk is quite underrated I think, it's a fine movie that had some cool nods to the TV series. Mark Ruffalo is a better Bruce Banner than Ed Norton though, I hope he gets a solo movie in Phase 3.

Though Captain America was my least favourite of the Phase 1 films, I still thought it was a really good movie. Importantly I thought they really nailed Cap's character arc, which gave the film real heart ("Whatever happens tomorrow you must promise me one thing. That you will stay who you are. Not a perfect soldier, but a good man."). The 1940's WWII atmosphere was great and I adored the whole Star Spangled Man scene. I still can't believe they got Robert Redford in Captain America: The Winter Soldier! I love how the directors say they're going for a 70's political thriller vibe, so getting Robert Redford in the cast is a cool touch.

Guardians of the Galaxy is the film I'm looking forward to the most in Phase 2, I'm not familiar with the original source material at all which means it has the potential to be the biggest surprise. Marvel haven't let me down yet.

The first half of Thor was my favourite of Marvel Phase 1. Brilliant Shakespearian family drama and wonderful, gorgeous fantasy setting. The Earth stuff really brought it down for me. So naturally the new Thor is probably what I'm anticipating the most of Phase 2, think Guardians of the Galaxy will be loads of fun too, and I really want to see what they do with Doc Strange.

The Incredible Hulk was quite good and was definitely better than the Ang Lee/Eric Bana attempt, but for me it just kind of feels seperate from the rest of Phase 1. Think they'll get round to doing a "proper" Hulk solo at some point, probably Phase 3 or 4.

The Avengers was pretty rubbish though, in my opinion. I thought it was an insipid snooze fest. I got maybe 3/4 of the way through and just gave up. Thor was quite good though, I didn't even mind the earth bits generally because the humour worked quite well (much better than Avengers). I even much preferred the Green Lantern to The Avengers, don't think that film deserves all the hate it seems to get; if you just switch your mind off and let it wash over you, it's pretty great.

vashdaman said:
The Avengers was pretty rubbish though, in my opinion. I thought it was an insipid snooze fest. I got maybe 3/4 of the way through and just gave up. Thor was quite good though, I didn't even mind the earth bits generally because the humour worked quite well (much better than Avengers).

Don't get me wrong, some of the "fish out of water" stuff with Thor was absolutely hilarious, but the whole tone of the film just shifted and I thought that the warriors 3 actually looked really silly in their outfits in the setting of Earth. Avengers was a lot of fun, but was at times a bit too Whedon-istic, ie. everyone seems to work at the quip factory. Best parts of Avengers for me were Thor and Loki, kinda just wanted to see them have the rest of the movie to themselves (yeah, I really like Thor).

I even much preferred the Green Lantern to The Avengers, don't think that film deserves all the hate it seems to get; if you just switch your mind off and let it wash over you, it's pretty great.

:evil:

No.

:lol:

Green Lantern was like a throwback to the days of Daredevil/Fantastic Four in terms of comic book movie quality.

Each to their own though. :)

In more Marvel news apparently they've got things planned out until 2021 :eek: That's just insane. There's also a brief mention of that if Guardians is a success it'll obviously expand the universe a lot more into aliens/space, and even if it fails there's a plan B that the potential "psychadelic and magical" take on Dr. Strange with it's supporting cast could spin off into another Earth based superhero team. I'm guessing The Defenders (Dr. Strange, Hulk and Namor).

The Warriors 3 on Earth looked like someone walked in on some D&D players larping. With The Avengers, I loved it the first time, but my opinion has dimished on rewatches.

And I actually liked the first Fox Fantastic Four film. Silver Surfer was a load of rubbish though.

With Marvel, I do think the 2021 thing is interesting - I wonder if the superhero movie bubble would have burst by then? I agree with you 20thCenturyBoy with the inevitability of a Defenders movie. I've heard rumours that Marvel are going to be bigging up Doctor Strange as the centre of the MCU once RDJ departs, so Defenders would be a good way of doing that. A Black Panther film also seems pretty likely as it has been practically confirmed by Stan Lee (and there are rumours of him cameo-ing in Avengers: Age of Ultron).

They must have a lot of faith in Doc Strange if they plan on making him the central focus of the Universe. Surely the next logical in line would be Cap? And what would be happening with Iron Man then? Yeah, RDJ is leaving but are they just going to let Iron Man go with him? Or do they just not think that the character will have the same drawing power minus RDJ, no matter who they get to replace him, and minimise the character's importance? Black Panther is an absolute nailed on, for me. Just a case of what cool, imposing black actor who's come out and said they want the part (which is quite a few already) they actually decide to give it to. Idris Elba would've been a choice if he wasn't already Heimdall, but I'd like to see Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje get it.

In news from the DC side, the latest rumour on casting the new Batman is in...And is possibly the worst idea anyone has ever suggested.

Orlando Bloom

Seriously.

Do DC even want to actually compete with Marvel or just hand them some easy wins?

Back