Gensoumaden Saiyuki/Saiyuki!

Miaka-chan

Stand User
I remember starting a thread on Saiyuki before, so I will start again :lol:

I am now almost half way through rewatching the series but this time I decided to watch the dubbed version! I am still pleasantly surprised at how good the dub is - the banter between Goku and Gojyo is hilarious. The dub VAs seem to fit the characters perfectly and other than one or two overly squeaky females, I can't find fault with the dub at all!

Saiyuki is my favourite anime adaptation of the Monkey King legend! Filled with bishounen and bishoujo alike, which is why I think this anime can appeal to anyone :D I remembered last night just why I enjoy this anime so much :wink: (Genjo Sanzo dressed in nothing but jeans and bandages :twisted: ).
I keep having flashbacks to the cheesy series of Monkey made in the 1970's and Gojyo has never looked so good!! (I used to watch Monkey every Friday evening with my Dad and I seem to remember having a "thing" for the pig :shock: I was only 9 at this time, so I'm allowed :lol: ).
I think this is one of the only anime that I don't skip the op. & ed. themes after a while. I just LOVE the music!
At the time I first watched Saiyuki (about 3 1/2 years ago) I found the animation style rather strange but it doesn't seem so odd these days! All in all, Saiyuki is just brilliant! Even the odd filler episode is watchable because of the great characters and amusing scenarios!

I soooo have to watch Saiyuki, i was talking to a girl ages ago about this series because she did fan art from the series and i remember thinking the characters were attractive. I have really been meaning to watch Saiyuki or at least read the manga for ages, i think Genjo Sanzo is really yummy so i should defiantly get around to it

Charter_Mage said:
I soooo have to watch Saiyuki... or at least read the manga ...... i think Genjo Sanzo is really yummy so i should defiantly get around to it

Watch it rather than read (or if you have the funds, do both :lol: ).
Seriously, you should watch as Sanzo is in his prime animated :wink: Plus you'd miss out on the music :(

I will do, but i will have to get a R1 dvd player first i think, it's about time we got around to it though as the dvd player we have the moment completly sucks, i should keep sitting by while it ruins all my lovely anime dvds

Well you know i don't really know much about the series or the manga but i did read a preview of the manga that was in one of those shutterbox manga preview books and it actually looked more male orientated

Man every time i come to this topic a have to quickly double back up the page and pause for a little while at that picture

Ramen89 said:
Is there anything for a typical male anime fan such as myself in this series?

Oh! yes! plenty of bishoujo (pretty girls) with big...ahems :lol: Lots of action and adventure, humour etc. If I can find some more pics of the other characters, I'll post some!

Charter_Mage said:
Well you know i don't really know much about the series or the manga but i did read a preview of the manga that was in one of those shutterbox manga preview books and it actually looked more male orientated

The manga possible is more male orientated, I'm not sure, as I've not bothered with the manga. I can drool over Sanzo in the anime and my numerous artbooks :lol:

Charter_Mage said:
Man every time i come to this topic a have to quickly double back up the page and pause for a little while at that picture

There is a pic I know exists I was trying to find to post here but couldn't find it :cry: Bacially it is from the opening credits of season 2, it has all 4 guys in tight black leather trousers (nothing else!) all chained up together :twisted: I'll have to try to find it again :wink:

Ramen89 said:
Cool :) , werent ADV hinting at releasing it over here a while back?
I'm not sure but I think it would be a very good title for UK release because it does have such appeal to both male and female anime fans. I think the only think it doesn't contain are mechs :lol:

Ramen89 said:
Its based on the story of The Journey to west right?
Yes! The story of the Monkey King, aka Son Goku!
There's a fun fact file on the first DVD of Saiyuki that actually tells the true story/legend of the journey and the people and infact the most true to life version is the cheesy 1970's programme; Monkey :lol:
I found the tidbit very funny!
Dragonball and Dragonball Z are also based (very loosely) on the legend!!

Yea I've seen all of Monkey, I think it was more Dragonball rather than DBZ tho. How are the other two seasons of Saiyuki, Reload and Gunlock?

Ramen89 said:
Yea I've seen all of Monkey, I think it was more Dragonball rather than DBZ tho. How are the other two seasons of Saiyuki, Reload and Gunlock?

Don't know, haven't seen them yet! I know the animation changed for the second series and I'm not sure yet if I want to watch them! I most probably will, when funds allow :lol:
The movie is really good, it's called Requieum.

Miaka-chan said:
There is a pic I know exists I was trying to find to post here but couldn't find it :cry: Bacially it is from the opening credits of season 2, it has all 4 guys in tight black leather trousers (nothing else!) all chained up together :twisted: I'll have to try to find it again :wink:
I would love to see that, i think i would like to be the one that chained them all together :twisted:

Charter_Mage said:
Miaka-chan said:
I would love to see that, i think i would like to be the one that chained them all together :twisted:

Mmmm :twisted:
I actually got to part 2 last night and remembered just how sexy the opening credits actually are. Good job Sakura is only 19 months old and can't understand what her Mummy is saying at that point :lol:

Miaka-chan said:
Ramen89 said:
Is there anything for a typical male anime fan such as myself in this series?

Oh! yes! plenty of bishoujo (pretty girls) with big...
Personalities?

So, is there anything in the series to attract a somewhat atypical male like me? Actually, forget that: I don't even know what I look for in an anime, so there's no reason to suppose that you will. It does look quite interesting, though. I'd probably pick up a UK release, or maybe a US boxed set.

Side note: Monkey was great, and I've managed to convince a friend to buy the complete series. I have no idea how I've seen it before, though, given that I'm clearly too young to have seen it when it was broadcast in (I think) the mid-eighties. Mysterious.

Back