Greetings

MrChom

School Idol
Hi, I've been posting a few days, figured I'd finally introduce myself. My name is Mike "MrChom" Chomyk (no point hiding behind a username when a search of any anime society listing 2004 had my full name, location and email in there).

I used to be treasurer of Aberystwyth Anime Society but moved back to the Midlands about a year ago. Stopped watching anime for about a year, but suddenly (with new Slayers) I find myself back into it.

Hmmm....what else.....hmm....oh yes, I like to think of myself as eccentrically British (despite my Ukrainian/Irish roots) with a strong love of tea (loose leaf tea is a drink fit for gods), and also boiled sweets....my friends claim I was blasted out of the 1950s and just happened to land here...I intend to prove them right just as soon as I find the right hat, and a bubble pipe that looks decent.

Anyone who's been to Amecon has seen me, though sadly I couldn't fulfill my role of propping up the bar last year due to driving in each day from Coventry.

Ooh, a fellow tea lover? Kick ass. Yes indeed, Tea is God-Worthy! Not sure about the boiled sweets thing though ^^'... but, meh... Welcome To The Forums, We've Got Fun And Games.

Welcome to AUKN MrChom. Sure you'll be easily pleased and confused with some of the converstaions that await you in the forum (if they haven't already). Where abouts in the Midlands you from? You've been lucky to have some form of anime comunty near by in the past. I for one am almost alone over in Barrow in the NW. T_T

Believe me, if any conversation can beat the one about a baby elephant dressed as Groucho Marx I had at an animesoc meeting some years ago then I'll eat my trilby.

I'm from Bloxwich, as my location thingy on the left says :D

For those not in the know on Midlands geography, if you drew a triangle between Dudley, Cannock, and Birmingham then Bloxwich would be in its deep black heart.

As for having an anime community, yeah, it was cool, we got 120 members one year, with about 40 regulars to 2 weekly screenings, a social, and our fantastic Gerard Kraus Memorial BBQ (he attended every single one, we just wanted a name for the thing, and it was funny to "kill" our first promotions officer for the name).

Might try Birmingham next year, I already go to their World of Warcraft TCG society, and they accept non-students.

Sounds like you've had an extensive comunity history. I'm jealouse of course. If I hear someone even someone mention an anime of even just the word "Anime" (or manga) I'll chew their ear off for as long as they can handle it.... which, typicaly isn't very long.

I know of Bloxwhich but never been there. Geography was my worst subject too like.

Voddas said:
Sounds like you've had an extensive comunity history. I'm jealouse of course. If I hear someone even someone mention an anime of even just the word "Anime" (or manga) I'll chew their ear off for as long as they can handle it.... which, typicaly isn't very long.

What can I say, I like people to enjoy themselves, bringing together 100 nerds for human (or barely human in some cases) interaction and anime was awesome. Even if I got laryngitis from spending our post-Freshers' Fayre party talking to people and trying to get them to talk back...anime fans can be a very quiet bunch round new people....

I also spent far too much time begging Hugh David, Andrew Partridge, TOny from MVM, Andrew Whelan from Tokyopop and Faceless Manga Drone #6 (they change so often) for posters, DVD, Manga........basically anything. We gave out about £200 of DVDs at Fresher's Fayre 2 years ago....and some Booby prizes.....Sailor Moon Art Boards.

Oh, I also wrote articles for the last two Amecon conbooks, not this year though. Couldn't think of a good topic. Community building is a great activity :D

I know of Bloxwhich but never been there. Geography was my worst subject too like.

We have a metal Tardis (supposedly a monument to our Viking Heritage), an Asda, and that's about it. Looking to move to Brum when I can afford it.

Your just rubbing it in now! :p

Well I'm glad you found your way to this site coz this is where I get most of my anime related communication. There's also a large spread of ages so you'll never feel out of place. Plenty of arguments to, if you like speaking your mind then this is the place. You probably already know taht by now if you've beenposting before this thread.
It keeps me entertained whilst I'm at work. ^_^

Welcome to the nut house known as Anime UK News. ECT is regularly practised and enjoyed by the inmates as a recreational pass time.

Welcome to the forums!

It's a long shot but a couple of friends of mine did film studies at Aber. One of them did a Dave Gorman-esque stunt in which he challenged people to message him and invite him to their clubs/social stuff. I'm sure the Aber Anime Soc was one of those...oh well. Welcome anyway. ^_^

Martin said:
Welcome to the forums!

It's a long shot but a couple of friends of mine did film studies at Aber. One of them did a Dave Gorman-esque stunt in which he challenged people to message him and invite him to their clubs/social stuff. I'm sure the Aber Anime Soc was one of those...oh well. Welcome anyway. ^_^

Oh, I vaguely remember him, not too well, mind. Came on our forums as "MeetMe" and managed to rub our president up the wrong way inside of five seconds, ahh, memories.

Welcome Faye Valentine! (Sorry, but it was hard to resist...) ;)

Hope this community doesn't scare/bore ya to bits... although the last one's hard to do, so you may come out looking like sheep's wool if that happens. :D

Anyways, enjoy the stay! It's good to have ya!

Hey MrChom, welcome to the forums. Although I'm quite new myself I just wanted to say hi so.... hi!
And get to know some of the people here, they are very helpful.

Oh and guys you will tell this chap about you lot being "animals" right...? ;)

Chaz said:
Hope this community doesn't scare/bore ya to bits... although the last one's hard to do, so you may come out looking like sheep's wool if that happens. :D

Believe me, given the amounts of oddness I've been surrounded by in anime fandom I don't think there's much left that could genuinely scare me. Being part of an anime society gives you a wonderful chance to view all the creeps, freaks, and oddballs out there...

Besides, once you're seen Monica Rial drawing one someone who's passed out at an anime convention before signing a pair of panties she's worn on her head everything else is just so passé.

BlackWolf said:
Hi and welcome :p oh and don't worry about posting an introduction some people have waited weeks before doing that :lol:

I'm still putting off my intro till next year when its the anniversary of my appearance :p

Welcome to the forums Mike :thumb: from what i've seen your a down to earth, funny guy who likes computers and anime :D

hope you aren't put off by petty squabbles that appear on here from time to time, most members are....sorta....normal.

afew looney tunes are running about and there's also the "serious" brigade parading around from time to time, but generally speaking, its a good place ^^

Back