guilty crown

devilrules666

Combat Butler
Guys hi! Was wondering if you guys could give me your feedback on guilty crown. I have been whenever to buy it or not. Any help would be appreciated. I hear the second half goes downhill fast and it putting me off buying it.

Oh boy, where to begin? :D

Guilty Crown is, moment-to-moment, one of the most entertaining animes out there. If there's one thing I don't think it can be accused of, it's being boring. It's incredibly well-animated and directed, with an absolutely terrific musical score. There's even a few interesting characters in there. I'm sure on Blu-ray it will look and sound absolutely amazing.

Having said that, it also has some of the most jaw-droppingly sloppy writing and story development I've ever seen. Characters will act one way and then do complete about-faces, just to bend to the will of whatever the plot is that week. Twists will come out of nowhere just for the shock value, you will utter on more than one occasion "are they f****** serious?!" The main female character, Inori, is a total non-entity and I didn't really care too much about her, amazing character design though. Finally, the main character, Shu, gives us Yuuki Kaji at his worst. Whiny, screeching and nearly intolerable at times. There are a few moments where it looks like he'll get better, but than the writing reverts him back. He might fare better in the dub, but I don't know.

Ultimately, I think it will all depend on your expectations going in. Being a noitaminA series, I was expecting intelligently written sci-fi executed with style and verve. Once I'd gone through various states of rage and euphoria, I ultimately lowered my expectations at around episode 19ish and began watching it just for the entertainment value each week. In that respect, it absolutely delivers. I call it my favourite comedy of 2011 for a reason :lol:

I got about as far as the scene in the first episode where someone pulled a sword out of a girl's throat, then decided it wasn't for me and maybe it was time to scrub the hard drives. Although I was trying to watch it seriously, so your mileage may vary...

It's brilliant - especially the first half. It's also one of the best looking shows, hands down, that I've seen on Blu Ray recently. The soundtrack (by Supercell) is amazing too, and I like how it all gets a bit meta with how Inori is the singer of these songs in the show itself. (yes, it's one of those main female character is a popstar too shows - hello Gundam SEED!)

I literally whipped through the first half - it's that good. It properly ratchets up the tension and the villain Major Segai is brilliant.

The second half is still good, but doesn't quite match up - it gets a little rapey in places too. The main character basically becomes an absolute bastard, and one of the female characters basically uses sex to get what she wants (again, hello Gundam SEED!)

So in short, if you like glossy mecha shows with angsty characters and a great soundtrack, you'll probably love it.

Back