Gundam Seed Destiny does an Evangelion.

kupocake

Stand User
Looks like Fukada tore out the Band Aid for his second Gundam anime series. Christmas Day saw the Japanese broadcasting of Final Phase Plus in Japan, and the fansubs are appearing now. What was rumoured to be a half-hour recap with an OVA-like ending tagged on is in fact something considerably more interesting... or pathetic if youre inclined that way. Basically theyve gone and remade Seed Destinys Ending. The battles are different, (the Tri-Stars are back in and losing the battle, as they were in a magazine teaser) and for some reason, Athrun is along for the ride in the final scene.

So its official: Fukada run out of money when making Seed Destiny. As if all the clip-shows didnt confirm that already. And to think there are rumours going around that therell be a third series...

(sorry for poor punctuation. My keyboard is giving me grief)

I didn't realise so much had been changed; reading about it a few days ago, I gathered that was just the same with a drawn-out conclusion. I'm just glad there is the faint possibility of a slightly better ending than "Kira PWNS ALL because Kira SELLS."

I'm disappointed greatly in Fukada; I enjoyed Seed, and Destiny started out pretty well. But then it turned into the Archangel Reunion Tour, with Death Count for New Characters about 12, Death Count for Seed Characters -1, and Shinn becoming even more of a static, undeveloping wrench that he was at the start of the series.

If Fukaka directs a third series, I will not be traumatized as so many Gundam fans profress they will be, but my expectations will not be high.

Anime News Network said:
Gundam Seed 3? (2005-12-26 14:07:48)
According to Moonphase, the February issue of Comic Gum reports that Sunrise is now planning a new Gundam Seed work. No further details are available. Source: Gunota

Well, here's the news we've all been waiting for with anticipation as eagar as the Pacific is shallow. It seems there are no details so far, though, so that might mean Fukada has been cut down, but considering how finnancially sucessful his reign has been in Japan, I doubt the powers that be will have.

Regarding the extended final episode, I'm amazed that they actually have given Athrun some sort of semi-demi-quasi-important role in the plot. He started out as seemingly the mentor of Destiny, but ended up being shoved to the side while Strike Freedom had all the fun; if Athrun was the one who confronted Dullindal, it would have made more sense than Kira, who had barely met the man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chomolungma said:
It seems there are no details so far, though, so that might mean Fukada has been cut down, but considering how finnancially sucessful his reign has been in Japan, I doubt the powers that be will have.
Final Plus seems to heavily hint that there'll be something beyond Destiny. The dialogue goes something like this:
Final Phase Plus Plus! said:
Athrun: Shinn... I would like you to meet someone. Kira, the pilot of Freedom Gundam. You may remember him from such series as "Gundam Seed", "Gundam Seed Freedom and occasionally Destiny".

Shinn: Gurgle Splutter ZOMG I'm like your biggest fan! Please forgive me for that whole nearly killing you thing a while back!

Kira: Hey no worries kiddo! I'm the main character here! Cook me, bake me, nuclear explode me and i'll be right back at ya right as rain! And you know wha t's so great about being the MAIN character? You get to show endless compassion to people! So take a friendly pat on the back, and everything will be just ok!

Shinn: Wait... wasn't I the main character?

Kira: Sorry kiddo, the fans have spoken. Interflora send me tributes by the day. Shame really, all those poor things die after a while... Say, listen up. I have a proposition for you. No matter how many times those flowers die, we can always replant them. Capiche?

Shinn: err... not exactly Mr Yamato sir...

Kira: Well, what i'm trying to say is that... well, I could do with another subordinate you know. Another co-star to sideline Athrun just that bit more. My agent is on the phone telling me there may be a third season and that I need someone willing to sign-up for cameos, possibly to get sacrificed as a ratings boosters and well, I think you're up to the job. Join me, k?

Shinn: Sign me up Mr Yamato sir! I've already perfected insubordination, and i've pretty much got Subordination down too!
Joking aside, Final Plus is definately better than the ending we did get. One too many clipshows meant that what needed two episodes was only given the one. The battles are better (the four gundams face off for longer, there's more animations and it just generally doesn't feel so rushed whilst still being sufficiently tense), the bloated cast are all accounted for (more Tristars, Orb, Yzak&Dearka), and the after-phase gives the characters some much needed closure. Athrun's appearance in the climax is actually kind of pointless, perhaps fanservice more than anything else (though as chomo says, it would have made more sense than Kira being there in the first place). I can't shake the feeling when looking at the frames with Athrun in, that he shouldn't actually be there, that if he'd been there all along the shot would have been drawn differently and that theres a tiny bit of awkwardness in the way he's just been inserted (he says very few lines but commendably, he gets to shout "Gladys Captain" rather than Kira who originally did, when he can't have actually known or really cared who she was.)

Shame about no closure on Athrun's relationship situation though. I can hear the CagallixAthrun fans clutching at straws with the new shot added to the remixed opening featuring them, and equally MeyrinxAthrun fans will be keen to take Athrun walking away with Meyrin (as Shinn does with Luna and Kira with Lacus) as a sign, even if they hardly look as lovey-dovey as the other couples.

The Final Phase Plus Plus is perfect. :D

Ah, Athrun, the less screentime he has the larger his harem grows. I disliked the way Cagalli was scorned in the latter part of Destiny; sure, her popularity may have gone down to how she acted at first, but, like Athrun, she turned from one of the main focuses to barely a side-character. The whole conflict was over Orb, and Cagalli was not involved? I'm also an Athrun X Cagalli fanboy, i'm afraid, because I want to keep all pairings firmly into the main characters of Seed.

Poor Athrun, always shunned in this series... I suppose any improvement on the gross anti-climax of episode 50 is worthy though. Why so many recap episodes? It may have been budget, but still; the Meer recap episode was perhaps the most pointless in the whole series. Minor character dies, so let's spend the next episode recounting her entire past in the show! I'm looking foward to watching this, however, be it mainly with curiosity.

Chomolungma said:
Minor character dies, so let's spend the next episode recounting her entire past in the show!.
The biggest problem is that this character was actually supposed to be important somehow. Trouble is, they killed her and suddenly realised that, actually, she hadn't got any screentime or development. So in a pathetic attempt to make us care, they recapped again, and had all the characters crying over her. Lacus is pouring her eyes out! It must be sad!

Ork_dreadnought said:
You know, when I read the title of this thread, I thought it meant that there had been a mind bending climax, where everyone died.

Small hope :)
Yeah, I was a bit disappointed that nothing truely drastic happened. All that happens is that Dearka and Hilda get a little damaged. Woo-Hoo.

Ork_dreadnought said:
Does anyone die in Seed/Destiny worth mentioning?
I thought you had seen Destiny? Do you mean in general Destiny or just in Final Plus? No-one who dies in Destiny lives in Final Plus, and no-one who doesn't die in Destiny dies in Final Plus, so no change.

Ork_dreadnought said:
Does anyone die in Seed/Destiny worth mentioning?

Well, if you're refering to the series in general, Mwu comes back to life, miraculously surviving Seed; Meer, Dullindal, Ray, Talia, Jibril, Stellar, Auel, Sting all die, and i'm sure there are a few others I can't remember, none of them being characters from Seed.

Back