Gunslinger Girl 2 getting UK Release on 16/05/2011

Neferpitou

Stand User
gunslingergirlilteatrine.jpg

Gunslinger Girl 2 getting UK Release on 16/05/2011

The Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino Anime has appeared on Play.com Upcoming Anime DVD Releases section. Its scheduled to be released on 16/05/2011 for an RRP of £34.99.

Source: Play.com

If the first series didn't exist... Il Teatrino would be above average.

I was actually on the verge of importing this last week. I placed the order, then changed my mind and cancelled it, thinking that I didn't actually want to pay that much for a show that I liked, but didn't love.

Good thing I cancelled.

I'm excited about this, but I'll only pick it up if I can get hold of the first series. That's the bigger problem for me.

Just Passing Through said:
If the first series didn't exist... Il Teatrino would be above average.

That pretty much covers my feeling on it too. What I saw of Il Teatrino seemed pretty watchable, but I'll never forget the crushing disappointment I had after seeing the first episode. I can't help but wonder how it might have turned out in Madhouse's hands :(

Maybe when/if it turns cheap I'll give it another go with adjusted expectations.

Wow, this feels like a release that has taken quite some time. I imported the Japanese release, passed up on the US BDs due to it being suckFuni.

cool was going to import this but i will wait now. I was also going to get corpse princess on region 1 as well. sometime it pays to wait a little while! :D

Guess I will still import Tsubana season 2 through!

Not a show I would have expected Manga to release, unless the first series sold surprisingly well for Revelation. But if I really wanted this, and I can't say I do, I'd have imported the Region A/B Funi Blu-ray set.

£34.99 RRP? That might be a mistake. All Manga's recent 12-13 episode DVD sets have had a £25 retail price.

fabricatedlunatic said:
But if I really wanted this, and I can't say I do, I'd have imported the Region A/B Funi Blu-ray set.
Eh, really? Isn't it one of the ones they ****ed up (Samurai Champloo, etc)? I can't quite be bothered to check atm, but I might do if no-one clarifies soon-ish.

ilmaestro said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
But if I really wanted this, and I can't say I do, I'd have imported the Region A/B Funi Blu-ray set.
Eh, really? Isn't it one of the ones they ****ed up (Samurai Champloo, etc)? I can't quite be bothered to check atm, but I might do if no-one clarifies soon-ish.
Even if it is, it can't be worse than DVD quality, is on fewer discs and is still cheaper than the UK DVD release (that's my justification for importing several of Funi's admittedly poor BDs anyway).

ayase said:
Even if it is, it can't be worse than DVD quality, is on fewer discs and is still cheaper than the UK DVD release (that's my justification for importing several of Funi's admittedly poor BDs anyway).
Yes it can be if they applied a bad filter. You could lose detail that was there if you upscaled a dvd yourself. Some of them looked realy, realy bad.

I wasn't aware there was any doubt about that. FUNi has the UK rights after all, and I think the only exception to their exclusive relationship is Chobits.

Regardless of the quality of the blu-ray version, I only paid £17.99 for my copy. With a RRP of £34.99, this release is going to cost more (play.com has it for £25.99).

ilmaestro said:
Yeah, I do literally mean the BDs for some of their shows have less detail than upscaled DVDs, because of the extreme DNR, EE, etc.
Now that you mention it, I do remember hearing that Funi removed the grain from Samurai Champloo for its BD release--grain that was deliberately added post-production. Oh dear.

Shiroi Hane said:
I wasn't aware there was any doubt about that. FUNi has the UK rights after all, and I think the only exception to their exclusive relationship is Chobits.

Not exactly exclusive...

MVM releasing Tower of Druaga in April. (They get dibs on Gonzo titles I think)

Funi are re-releasing Samurai Champloo on both DVD and BD in May. Any chance the BD is a proper version, or simply the broken release in a different box? The price doesn't suggest a budget re-release, with the RRP only $5 less than the original release. Have they said anything about this?

Back