Haibane-Renmei

Spee

Brigade Leader
Well, what can I say? I watched the second volume of it last night and came away with the opinion that it isn't actually the polar opposite of Serial Experiments Lain at all, as has been described in the past. Certainly episodes 6 and 7 in particular could be seen as Lain-level depressing.

Anyone who hasn't picked up this series yet will be in for a treat, especially those that value the aesthetics the most. It has very few faults that I can think of and is certainly a refreshing change from more contemporary stuff like Stand Alone Complex and Witch Hunter Robin (what I mean by that is the subject matter - I have nothing against either of those series).

*edited for a slight spelling mistake*

Last edited by a moderator:
to tell you the truth, i think it's the most achingly beautiful piece of animation i've ever set eyes on. after watching the second volume only the best Miyazaki stuff moved me as much as that. i'm not ashamed to say i was on the edge of tears in the episode where Kuu reached the Day of Flight. the whole episode was so tastefully done.

overall, i think it might end up as one of those really underrated series because the style of the show by its very nature doesn't really draw attention to itself and relies on subtle methods to tell the story, which might catch some viewers unawares.

as for Lain, i'm not sure how HR compares until my Lain DVDs arrive. :p

I'm a massive fan of ABe and I'm determind to take a look at anything he has been involved with. Lain was definently where his reputation exploded, but I wouldn't go into it expecting anything like Haibane. His projects tend to go from one extreme to the other so where Haibane is a warm, relaxed and "friendly" series, Lain is a cold, fast moving and stylish science fiction story.

Ah. I see what you mean. It is a much "friendlier" series than Lain as you say, but that doesn't mean that it is without its own melancholy and sadness, re: Kuu's Day Of Flight and the aftermath for Rakka; what other works has ABe done apart from Haibane, Lain and Texhnolyze? (it takes me ages to remember how to spell that!) He's fast becoming one of my favourite anime "gurus", along with Hideaki Anno and the ubiquitous Hayao Miyazaki.

When Kuu did reach her Day of Flight, (I always thought, like the guy who sold Rakka that pea soup, that Kuu was an feminine-looking guy!) I didn't cry, but it was definitely moving. It just opened up another entire series of questions; Paul will probably correct me here, but it all seems to me about having a succession of lives. Perhaps that was why only naïve Rakka 'mourned' for her. It didn't seem to me like the show was trying to convey that Kuu had actually died as we understand death to be.

I think I will be giving this a try once the series has been fully released on R2. I admitedly couldn't stand Lain , I had no idea what was going on from the second episode onwards , one of the few animes ive been utterly bored of by the end. However , I am told this one is a little easier on the brain cells , and I certainly like the charecter designs and general artwork.

I only ordered my copy of Haibane vol 2 this week (having spent all money last week on the play.com), however I loved vol 1, it was incredible all around (quickly becoming one of my favourites), certainly far more visually stunning than Lain. I actually find it quite hard to quantify my feelings for Lain, although there were individual aspects I didn't like, the series overall holds a kind of fascination for me, nonetheless to me it has a very different feel to Haibane.

Personally, I'm going to hold out on a boxset collection. I realise it's a slim chance, but if it isn't announced by about 6 months after the last volume is released, then at least I'll likely be able to pick it up half price by then.

Back