Hana Yori Dango/Boys Over Flowers

Miaka-chan

Stand User
Hana Yori Dango is a wonderful romance story written by Yoko Kamio. It's a tale of poor girl meets rich guy and thinking about it, it has a "Pygmalion" feel to it (if you know what I mean!!).

Tskushi Makino is the girl in question. She comes from a poor working class family that insisted she go to an elite private school, her only wish is for the next 2 years to pass without hassle, so that she can leave and get a job! This wish comes to an abrupt halt when she faces up to the F4, a group of 4 wealthy and influential boys who spend their time lording it over the entire school. Anyone caught opposing the F4 are harrassed and bullied until they crack and leave the school for good! Tsukushi is stupid enough to challenge the F4 and here is where the story begins!

Admittedly, Hana Yori Dango is a typical shoujo anime but unlike the average romance story, the outcome isn't obvious and the way Tsukushi is treated will have you on the edge of your seat at times. It's definitely not your average "feel good" anime either, there are times you'll feel anger, there are times you'll laugh out loud and there are times you will weep.
The character design is very simplistic and unchanged from the original manga style. There is no one with brightly coloured hair, or eyes but this doesn't detract from the appeal. It doesn't come with brightly coloured intricate backgrounds either, they are very subdued and grey at times. I didn't find this affected my enjoyment of this anime, as it allowed you to concentrate on the characters rather than their surroundings!
There is a wonderful soundtrack, with one of the most "up beat" intro songs I've heard in a long time. The incidental music within the show is very orchestral and soothing.
This is my second viewing of Hana Yori Dango and I took a big risk and watched it dubbed. I had visions of something dreadful, as the F4 are soooooooooo cool, would they sound like pratts, would I be able to even listen to them for more than 1 sentence :? Yet again, I was pleasantly surprised with all of the VAs!! I'm almost certain Tsukasa's VA is the same guy who did Hotohori in the dubbed Fushigi Yuugi and I found it quite amusing when I realised that Kazuya's VA was the same guy who did the grown up version of Gohan in DBZ :D I have one BIG complaint with the dub though, one of the main characters is called Rui, it isn't supposed to be one of those names where the "L" is mispronounced as an "R" and yet Rui became Louie and it was very very irritating but that is my only complaint!!

If you are looking for a really good romance to watch, filled with humour, heartache and a bezillion wonderful characters, then look no further than Hana Yori Dango :p

I am also reading the manga at the moment, I'm up to volume 10. It is just as wonderful in original form (on paper!!) and although the anime does follow along the same lines as the manga, there are a few differing story arcs and it is most definitely worth reading as well as watching :mrgreen:

hmmm, yes it cirtainly does look interesting. The character design doesn't look anything special, but as you say if it's a good story then it doesn't matter, also i always enjoy hearing that Gohan voice so i will enjoy that part of it too. Sounds like one to look out for then

It does look to have a good story , to be honest the charecter design has always put me off this show. Ive mulled over buying it a few times now , but the general look of the charecters and the Viz's DvD covers ( which look pretty dire to me ) , have kept this from jumping high enough in my list to buy.
Maybe I'll reconsider :)

Those pics on the front cover of the Viz DVDs make them look ugly! Please don't go by that at all!! They are much nicer looking in the anime :D
It took me a long time to get around to watching HYD as all the images I had seen were of everyone in leotards and dance dress, I assumed for a long time it was about a dance school :lol:

Some cute pics for you to look at :D

I watched th Taiwanese TV-drama when it was on TV here. Both series 1 and 2 were GREAT!!! The woman who played Elsa is a total BABE too!!!
I haven't read the manga or watched the anime though :cry:

Chris said:
I watched th Taiwanese TV-drama when it was on TV here. Both series 1 and 2 were GREAT!!! The woman who played Elsa is a total BABE too!!!
I haven't read the manga or watched the anime though :cry:

I never fancied the Taiwanese drama version of HYD or Peach Girl! I guess cute human girls don't hold much fascination for me :lol:

Back