Hayao Miyazaki's next movie announced: Ponyo on a Cliff

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Studio Ghibli have finally announced Hayao Miyazaki's next (and possibly last?) anime project will be "Gake no ue no Ponyo" or in English; "Ponyo on a Cliff". The movie is about a 5-year old boy named Sousuke and the goldfish princess Ponyo (who apparently desires to be human). The character of Sousuke is said to be based on his son-turned-director Goro Miyazaki.

According Nausicaa.net "This film is expressed in a watercolor and pastel-like freehand drawing. Studio Ghibli President Toshio Suzuki mentioned, "70 or 80% of the stage is the sea. How will we express the sea and a wave in a freehand drawing, it's the director's challenge.""

An image from the movie has already appeared online, courtesy of Ghibli World. It should be released (in Japan) during the summer of 2008.

This is already shaping up as a really interesting movie, especially that the young boy is based on his son. I can see the Japanese press licking their lips in anticipation of that given how the rift between Miyazaki Snr. and Jnr. was played up during the Gedo Senki fiasco.

The art style (especially with it being mostly set at sea) sounds especially beautiful. The complexity of something being based at sea, the constant movement of the waves, it should be extremely challenging to animate.

It's the animated sequal to snakes on a plane! Sounds alright, actually, hopefully won't be as weak as Howl's Moving Castle. -_-

I'm looking forward to seeing this. I haven't seen Gedo Senki yet, but if the bad press is anything to go by, Miyazaki will have to work wonders to rectify Ghibli's name. If it's his last movie too, it should be something to see!

I doubt it will be his last film - he makes every one as if it's his last! That and the fact that 'retirement' isn't a word in the Hayao M. vocabulary.

That said, Howl's wasn't quite as good as his previous films, although it was still a brilliant effort. I'm still really looking forward to this one, especially the underwater scenes. The pic has a really nice aesthetic to it but doesn't give much away in terms of how the film will look overall. It'll be a very pleasant surprise I think. :)

I really loved Howl, one of my favourites, but then again I'm one who loves fantasy worlds full of magic, and HMC was arguably the Miyazaki film most styled in that fashion.

I'm not sure about this film, the watercolour effect sounds interesting (but I am a bit sceptical, I didn't like the effects in The Yamadas), but I'll wait until there's more than one picture and a little bit of information on the film before I hype it up.

Espy said:
I really loved Howl, one of my favourites, but then again I'm one who loves fantasy worlds full of magic, and HMC was arguably the Miyazaki film most styled in that fashion.

I'm not sure about this film, the watercolour effect sounds interesting (but I am a bit sceptical, I didn't like the effects in The Yamadas), but I'll wait until there's more than one picture and a little bit of information on the film before I hype it up.

I also loved Howls moving castle and wouldint classify it as weak as a stand alone title.
I can understand it being immedietly compared to his previous films and Spirited away was always going to be a hard to follow but hell,I still love it.

Hard to say if this will be Miyazaki's last film or not, since he's been talking about retiring since Spirited Away. The bottom line is that there are still plenty potential Miyazaki classics on the way if his imagination continues to be as vast and intricate as it always has been. It doesn't show any signs of wearing thin, that's for sure. This new film sounds pretty interesting, and since it's Ghibli, it's bound to be top-notch.

Kuonji said:
Hard to say if this will be Miyazaki's last film or not, since he's been talking about retiring since Spirited Away. The bottom line is that there are still plenty potential Miyazaki classics on the way if his imagination continues to be as vast and intricate as it always has been. It doesn't show any signs of wearing thin, that's for sure. This new film sounds pretty interesting, and since it's Ghibli, it's bound to be top-notch.

I have to ask what anime is your avatar from, i like it.

Nyu said:
Kuonji said:

It's Sachiko from Maria-sama ga Miteru. ^_^

Kuonji said:
Nyu said:
Kuonji said:

It's Sachiko from Maria-sama ga Miteru. ^_^

Ah good, i have that show it's just in the "to watch" que. What do you think of it? any good?

Back