HMV Anime Day, Win Free anime for a year

hopeful_monster

Thousand Master
Knew that you get your attention. Well yet more fall out from Amecon while travelling back on the train ran into the two people from the Manga stall, and a guy I randomly met in a queue. Since we were all going to London he asked if we were planning to go to the Anime Day in Oxford Street HMV 20th of August starting about 1pm until late? . Said maybe, as it involved getting more time off, and after going to a very badly put together event (for Red Dwarf) was less than enthusiastic.
He tried to sell it to us, saying there would be
Japanese game demos, Kendo Association live martial arts and Taiko Drummers live, live J-Rock bands - Electric Eel Shock and Miso Soup. Also there will be special guests, cosplay, spot prizes
Now I have been told one or two other things, one is that anyone cosplaying as an ADV character will get the spot prize (t-shirts, DVD’s ?), that there will be discounts on anime (to the point that HMV will be selling the at a loss), but the most interesting was that if you buy anything and get your recipt stamped you are entered into a competition to get all new anime releases for a year :!: :eek: :twisted:
The only real solid info I’ve found on is here- and the piece of paper I got the con (and expo) which I can’t find amongst all the other crap I brought back, so unsure if 100% accurate. If it is true however and you win you own me a DVD or sixty.

I'm going to be there :p. Its 2 days before I get my exam results and I need somthing to take my mind off it all. Won't be cosplaying though V_V

hopeful_monster said:
Have an idea for a cosplay character... now just have to see if my sewing skills are up to it.

I have loads of ideas, but I simply don't have the time to get my hands on any cosplay outfit or material to make one. :(

Well, this is nice to know.
I wonder how many people will cosplay on that day, will be like an anime invasion to Oxford Circus... you'd have to have a lot of guts to cosplay all the way there. :D

If this is going to be something really good, I'll probably go.

Just had an ADV promo e-mail through which looks to be relating to the event:

Dear Anime Fans,

To Celebrate the HMV Anime Sale Day this Monday 20th August 2007, 1pm - 6pm at the Oxford Street Branch. ADV Films and Manga are offering TWO lucky attendees the opportunity to Win Fresh Brand New Anime DVDs FOR THE REST OF YEAR!.

To enter this competition it's VERY SIMPLE:

Come down to HMV Oxford Street branch on Monday 20th 2007. (Nearest tube stop: Tottenham Court Road.)
Attend in Cosplay as a character from ANY ADV Films show AND buy an ADV title from the Anime Sale. Or come as yourself and buy ANY TWO anime titles from the Anime Sale
Show you're receipt to our Staff on hand, who will take down your details, and enter you in the prize draw.

The winners will be announced at 5pm on the day. There will also be spot prizes and give-aways through out the day.

The day's events will also include live performances from Japanese bands, Electric Eel Shock and Miso Soup, a live marital arts display from the British Kendo Association and video game tournaments and live sampling from the likes of Atari, Sega and Ubisoft, showcasing some of the best new games from Japan for PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii and DS.

Show your support and come down for a chance to win anime for the rest of the year!

See you there!

ADV Films Anime News
ADV International Inc

Which I'm guessing is the details that were on the flyer
hopeful_monster had :)

If there are many people going do we want to make it a AUKN summer meet up, or at least meet up and doo stuff? There are a few decent places to eat round there, and there is also Tales of Earthseas playing down nearer Leicester square (3min walk) as well as Forbidden Planet, and Blackwell's (which is still doing it's 3 for 2 offer on all manga)

hopeful_monster said:
If there are many people going do we want to make it a AUKN summer meet up, or at least meet up and doo stuff? There are a few decent places to eat round there, and there is also Tales of Earthseas playing down nearer Leicester square (3min walk) as well as Forbidden Planet, and Blackwell's (which is still doing it's 3 for 2 offer on all manga)

Sounds good. I'll be up for it. xD.

Damn I was meant to be in london on the 20th I could have gone to this but thanks to my greed for cash i agreed to work overtime, looks like I'll be missing all the prizes

Manga Girls will most certainly be there.

Not in cosplay, but I will have my M.G badge on my blazer.
Will be there around 5pm.

A friend will be there in cosplay and I plan to take her picture.

She doesn't know this... yet!

M.G xx

I was there and I even got on-stage as part of the cosplay thing! :D Free t-shirt and some free DVD's in the post :D Just please someone tell me they got some photo's. Camera died after about a shot or two so don't have a picture of me in my marvellous (not to mention hot) Chiyo Chichi costume. Amusing thing was that remember how there was the thing about turning up in an ADV character costume? Well there were only three people who did... myself, a lass in a Rei from Eva Plug suit (and cat tail?), and Joseph who works for Manga entertainment... if that's not irony i don't know what is.
Didn't win the free animé for a year thing, but from what i could tell not many people entered (less than 50 by my estimation).
After went for a meal with Mustang, Gara, Noface and a few other people i met at the cosplay thing. Taked about everything from 4chan, elitist anime fans cosplay ideas. Nice too have an adult conversation about animé with a beer in hand.

Although I did take a camera, I never actually took any snaps.

Saw lots of people from Japan Ex and a number of the Naruto kids from the British Museum. Ninja kids are so cool.

Matt and Mello from my Japan Ex article took me to a japanese cream puff place. Followed by a trip to an Okonomi-yaki restaurant, where they cook the food in front of you on a hot griddle. I have never tasted anything like it but it was so tasty. (straight out of Hana-Kimi)

And then some japanese parfait (I know it's just ice-cream, but it sounds so much cooler when you say it in french!) It was a sundae with coffee and cinnamon icecream on a bed of coffee jelly. (very Tokyo Babylon)

It's strange, I've lived in London for a long time, but today I felt like I saw a part of London I've never seen before. I'm very grateful to Matt and Mello for showing all these new things to me.

M.G xx

Back