How do I become involved with the site (if I wanted to be)

Invisible Crane

Adventurer
I've bee using the internet for a long time but one thing I've never had the chance to do is be more involved with a website (community management, being a forum mod, etc). Now granted I might not have any experience in these sort of things, but still I'd love to have the chance at doing that sort of thing. So with that I was wondering, say I get to be involved with AUKN in that sort of way. What do I need to do to achieve this?

There's a lot of reviewers and news reporters already on the site, and it's not like we're in drastic need of any forum moderation so the best thing for AUKN - really - is to just be apart of the community.

Jayme said:
There's a lot of reviewers and news reporters already on the site, and it's not like we're in drastic need of any forum moderation so the best thing for AUKN - really - is to just be apart of the community.

Oh...crap!. Now what am I supposed to do to become more involved than just a member of the community. I'm sorry I just get frustrated over the fact that I've never been able to be more than just a fan of something. Not just here, but well anywhere on the net as well. I'm sorry but the idea of me being just a nameless head in the community does not sit well with me. I need that chance to show I can be productive behind the scenes and maybe finally know what it's like to have some authority rather than just be a subordinate

Invisible Crane said:
Jayme said:

Oh...crap!. Now what am I supposed to do to become more involved than just a member of the community. I'm sorry I just get frustrated over the fact that I've never been able to be more than just a fan of something. Not just here, but well anywhere on the net as well. I'm sorry but the idea of me being just a nameless head in the community does not sit well with me. I need that chance to show I can be productive behind the scenes and maybe finally know what it's like to have some authority rather than just be a subordinate
Been in a similar position before. Trust me dude, it's overrated.

But, anyway, if you wanna, I suggest being an active member in a community first. Then, you might be asked to be a mod or something.

Or, you could always start your own site. But, I suggest you be fully motivated first, otherwise it will never take off.

Yup, just posting about anime benefits a small community like this greatly imo, no need to worry about doing anything "extra".

Invisible Crane said:
finally know what it's like to have some authority

I'm still waiting for that day ;_;

More seriously, what the others said; if you contribute and get involved from the outside, you'll both become more respected by the community (well, most of it), and be a natural person to ask if Chaos decides to open role applications.

R

Re: How do I become involved with the site (if I wanted to b

Invisible Crane said:
So with that I was wondering, say I get to be involved with AUKN in that sort of way.
Send money to Otaku-san's VN fund charity. That's quite a sufficient way to be involved.

Alternatively, you could try to steal his top-hat.

Invisible Crane said:
Jayme said:

You can be very beneficial by helping the site by just creating new topic or posts. For other more direct methods:

1.) Post any Anime/Manga news stories you find in Anime News & Rumours section.

2.) If you see any new DVD artwork, DVD/Blu-Ray offers, New UK available anime Streams post them in relevant topics in General Anime Discussion.

3.) Answer or giving out advice to questions put out on the forum If you are able to.

4.) If you are creative type, new artwork, Anime reviews and creative writing are always welcome in the Creative Arena.

5.) If you see any mistake or problem on the site feel free to post them in the general site feedback.

Invisible Crane said:
and maybe finally know what it's like to have some authority rather than just be a subordinate
This is exactly why you shouldn't be a mod. People who want power make for the worst mods.

Your contribution is discussing things with the rest of us. That's what makes a community work.

Maxon said:
Invisible Crane said:
and maybe finally know what it's like to have some authority rather than just be a subordinate
This is exactly why you shouldn't be a mod. People who want power make for the worst mods.

Your contribution is discussing things with the rest of us. That's what makes a community work.

Trust me, I would not abuse my power if I had it, considering most people who are mods on forums are younger than I am it makes me feel a bit insecure or something

Sounds more like a desire to be a mod than a need. I didn't make it to this status from asking. I contributed like everyone else, i just started to get the respect of others on the site then the old site owner asked if i'd lend a hand.

Though i can understand the problems that can arise with teenage mods/admins. A lot of them love abusing power, and it is annoying to be on sites with people like that, but i usually just try to grin & bare it, or don't post there.

My advise is exactly as said before, contribute like the rest and gain a certain respect, then yeah, who knows what happens. At the moment though, we have a very capable team both behind the scenes and from what you can see, so there isn't much chance of a spot opening any time soon.

Invisible Crane said:
Maxon said:
Invisible Crane said:

Trust me, I would not abuse my power if I had it, considering most people who are mods on forums are younger than I am it makes me feel a bit insecure or something
Believe me, age matters not. I know an admin on a forum I used to frequent that is close to 40s and he let power get to his head. He started making up ******** rules and ignoring requests for rule changes but had the audacity to claim he was getting more lenient.

Also, being a mod is a thankless job and probably more trouble than its worth on more popular forums. Like what has been said already, if you contribute to threads then you are still doing your bit.

Maxon said:
Invisible Crane said:
Maxon said:
Invisible Crane said:

Believe me, age matters not. I know an admin on a forum I used to frequent that is close to 40s and he let power get to his head. He started making up ******** rules and ignoring requests for rule changes but had the audacity to claim he was getting more lenient.

Also, being a mod is a thankless job and probably more trouble than its worth on more popular forums. Like what has been said already, if you contribute to threads then you are still doing your bit.

oh so ur calling me 40 now?

ok that's it, i'm banning anyone who's username has an "m" in it

Ryo Chan said:
Maxon said:
Invisible Crane said:
Maxon said:
Invisible Crane said:

oh so ur calling me 40 now?

ok that's it, i'm banning anyone who's username has an "m" in it
Good thing mine doesn't then.

Back