How do you find new Anime titles to watch?

Jimi-Jam

Dandy Guy, in Space
I was just curious in getting some idea on how you all go about finding new anime series to watch.

I tend to get a bit bewildered by the vast quantity of stuff out there and end up not knowing where to turn next, so in short I guess I’m looking for any good tips you have on successful anime hunting.
Maybe it’s through trail and error – see a title and give it a go, reading a good review on the net, recommendations, word-of-mouth, suggestions from users on this site…?

Perhaps this applies more to seeking out fan-subbed titles that haven’t yet received an officially release over here.
Just to be clear (complying with forum rules) - I’m not talking about where you find them - more on the how.
Could equally apply though to finding a series already out on DVD that you didn’t know of before.

Over to you…

Basically I either hear about it from friends or find it while browsing websites and forums. I also listen to some anime podcasts that have clued me into a few shows. That’s mainly it. Basically the ways you've guessed. :)

Usually when I am randomly surfing the net I find series, or I just try every first ep I can get my hands on and the series I like I just keep watching

I search the internet, or I share information with various people on MSN, they tell me stuff and I tell them stuff, however I usually watch/read stuff on a whim, then give a few episodes, if it's crap it's never finished, if it's good it's watched until the end.

I just look at the reviews on here and just watch what has a good review. Or I just ask people on msn what good animes are out there.

I browse genre's on Wiki or ANN and make choices from there, then eventually download 1 or 2 eps of the series, and make my final judgement off of those.

Unless it's something from Kon, then it gets watched without protest.

Reading what people say on here, ANN, suki, 4chan... ok, not so much 4chan ^^;

Browsing torrent sites and randomly picking up available shows.

From friends, although usually it's me recommending things to them.

Anime Nano.

90% of the time i find them through fansubs. I do keep an eye on the calander of release on anidb as well. Other than those its just from forums just like this one!

if theres an amazing amv on youtube i usually end up watching that anime mostly. otherwise its from forum conversations and looking at anime on wikipedia :l

Well, I've only liked anime for about a year, so there are still loads of "classics" that I've yet to see like Cowboy Bebop etc. But I usually find out about new anime releases from PLAY.com's listings. Or from forums and ANN ^_^

Mainly seeing a name of a anime; looking up on Wikipedia (checking out the animation, basic plot). Then try to get a hold of the first episode.

You come across the good animes to check out several times across the internet. Remember names :D

Talking to someone usually gives me the final push into watching something that i am totally not sure about.

I started Lovely Complex via YouTube, bit of a weird experience watching something in extremely low quality, in sound and video. Stupid YouTube.

Newtype magazine is my BIBLE. I get the American version (which I can read!) and it always includes loads of info on new anime series in the US and Japan, as well as loads of other related Japanese stuff. Comes with a DVD with some anime episodes and a manga insert too. A bit pricey, usually best part of £10, but well worth it in my opinion.

Other stuff I just find browsing on the net for related stuff and seeing on bookshelves/in stores.

Just what everyone seems to be liking at the time.Thats how i found Death Note.I had known about it for absolutely ages but finally gave in after the constant about of fanart/fiction/discussions/whatever i found on it kept on coming :p

Mainly through forum threads and general recomendations. If I'm on the fence about a paticular series I read the reviews at a couple of places as well, if I'm still not sure.

Also, at the beginning of every new anime season in Japan, I look at the list of new shows that stealth40k linked to as well as the season preview posts at a couple of blogs I occasionally visit and pick out what looks interesting. Then I keep track of what everyone's saying about them and what seems to be popular and choose what I watch on the basis of that.

Mostly word of mouth by people who post on this forum *you know who you are* :wink:

Or checking out mags like NewType or more recently AnimeLand and a few japanese websites. Also You Tube, Veoh and generally trusting my gut instinct - I only got into Last Exile by pure chance and I've never looked back...

Back