How many Anime films have you seen on the big screen?

How many Anime films have you seen on the big screen?

• None

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One

• Two to Three

• Four to Eight

• Nine to Sixteen

• MOAR

• Total voters
None, the cinemas near me (swindon has 2 cineworlds) never show them so the best I can ever hope for is that an anime is showing in London next time I visit my girlfriends parents

I've been lucky enough to see three on the big screen. I saw Spirited Away subtitled at the Showcae cinema at Teesside Park, Howl's Moving Castle dubbed at Middlesbrough Cineworld and Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence at City Screen in York. Ghost in the Shell 2 was the best one I had seen at a cinema (visual wise anyway).

Howl's Moving Castle is the only film I've been able to see on the big screen.

I was going to Spirited Away but the one performance in the local Cineworld, in the area in fact, was fully booked. After Howl got a proper release I hoped Ghost in the Shell: Innocence would get the same treatment but it didn't.

(What does MOAR. stand for?)

GitS: Innocence, Steamboy, Cutie Honey (live action but anime-related), Howl's Moving Castle and The Cat Returns. There may be a couple more but that is what I remember off the top of my head. I'm not counting in all of that the various anime I have watched at conventions, which are technically on big screens. That would push up the total a fair bit, though.
Ginji said:
(What does MOAR. stand for?)
It's a funky spelling (or possibly misspelled) version of the more :p

The Barbican had a Ghibli festival when Mononoke first came out on DVD, I saw (this was before the hype of Spirited Away - can't remember if I ever saw that in the cinema or not):
Nausica Valley of the Wind
Grave of the Fireflies
My Neighbour Totoro
Princess Mononoke

Then it was Howl's Moving Castle on general release.

Anime All-Nighter (which was Gits: Innocence, Karas, Place Promised in Our Early Days and Final Fantasy Advent Children)

Also seen Cromartie High School Live Action at the ICA.

Ushio said:
The Barbican had a Ghibli festival when Mononoke first came out on DVD, I saw (this was before the hype of Spirited Away..)
Then it was Howl's Moving Castle on general release.

Anime All-Nighter...

Also seen Cromartie High School Live Action at the ICA.

This boy from the provinces bursts into tears! The hype and an Oscar didn't get more than a single performance for Spirited Away.

Okay, I am going to have to confess... I've seen Howl's Moving Castle about 10 times (Does that make me a geek - I think it does...) This was the movie that got me in to anime so afterwards I went to see the latest Ghost In The Shell movie and Steamboy. But as you don't often see anime on the big screen I now make the effort to go.

I've seen Howl's at Manchester and Millennium Actress at Ayacon, both of which were excellent. The anime all-nighter at Sci-fi London was the best though: Voices of a Distant Star, Ghost in the Shell 2, Karas part 1, Advent Children and Place Promised in our Early Days, back to back with free coffee and muffins! :)

Saw a few back in the old Manga Entertainment VHS days. ( Back when they were releasing Crying Freeman, Akira, Urotstukidoji. etc. lol - God i'm old :oops: )

The only one I can remember the name of though was Golgo 13, and that was only because my mate fell asleep about 20 minutes in, and I remember thinking afterwards; ' Lucky bastard, wish i'd thought of that.' lol :roll: :wink:

I think everyone's seen howls moving castle at least once or twice at the cinema!
I myself saw it under the kids range in cineworld for £1.00! Although it was showing at 10am ! :roll:

I stil haven't seen HMC at all. :X

And only one for me...Yu-Gi-Oh.

Last thing I saw at the cinema was War of the Worlds when it was brand new. I just never have a reason to go, and an anime movie wouldn't exactly get me excited about going. :$

Oh, actually, I saw the Pokemon movie all those years ago, so technically I've seen two. Though I've only seen one I'll admit to.

Espy said:
Oh, actually, I saw the Pokemon movie all those years ago, so technically I've seen two. Though I've only seen one I'll admit to.

Thanks for reminding me.

Yes I've seen Pokemon 1 & 3 at the cinema for some reason.

As mentioned in a previous thread, the only anime I have seen at the cinema is Spirited Away...

...and I am sure I saw Transformers: The Movie at back in the 80s! :)

Back