How to avoid being ripped off by dodgy traders at the Expo

Pirated DVDs/BluRays I where I draw the line. I have only ever purchased a pirate DVD once, and that was because there was no legit release. It has since been replaced with the legit version.

However, I feel no worse off for the fact that one anime soundtrack I bought off ebay was a bootleg. The music still works.

Mutsumi said:
I feel no worse off for the fact that one anime soundtrack I bought off ebay was a bootleg. The music still works.
Aside from literally being worse off for it since you gave your money to a criminal for a physical item that is worthless. If you feel that you have to turn to the dark side on music and so on then you may as well leech off the net for nothing. At least that way the criminals don't get to line their pockets. That and you would still have your money to spend on pies.

Mangoanimuman said:
At least that way the criminals don't get to line their pockets. That and you would still have your money to spend on pies.

It is not in the best interests of a clown like you to suggest I arm myself with pies. :p

Also, bootleg items are not worthless. The worth of an item is determined by the amount one is prepared to pay for it, therefore if I spend £10 on a pebble and do not wish to sell it, that pebble is worth £10 to all concerned. If I wished to sell it, however, it would probably be worth less, unless a pebble aficionado were the buyer. They could offer me £20, therefore the pebble would be worth £20. This is how an item's worth is determined.

However, nothing in this thread matters any more, because now Marmite have made Marmite flavoured chocolate. This travesty transcends all notions of 'on topic'.

Mutsumi said:
However, nothing in this thread matters any more, because now Marmite have made Marmite flavoured chocolate. This travesty transcends all notions of 'on topic'.

That can't possibly be true. *quickly Googles* OMG it's true. Now I like chocolate and I like Marmite, but the two combined... I think I'll stick to Guinness Chocolate, thanks.

Mangoanimuman said:
Project-2501 said:
The big question is are they actually counterfeit goods or just unlicenesed?

They are the same thing. Unlicensed goods fall under the heading of counterfeit. There's a link a page or two back which explains that. You can also ask Consumer Direct if you want UK specific confirmation of it.
He means are they copies of legit merch, or are they things thrown together from other bits of artwork, "original" designs, etc. The chances of you not answering something in the manner of a state-controlled robot, however, look pretty slim, so it's no surprise you didn't get that.

Mangoanimuman said:
They are the same thing. Unlicensed goods fall under the heading of counterfeit.

They are not the same. If they were then doujin etc.. would be classed as counterfeit and thus illegal.

Counterfeit is a direct copy of an already existing product produced with the intent to defraud.

Unlicensed is when an original design is based upon a copyrighted or registered design or image.

I have no doubt that my Haruhi mousemat is unlicensed, but its unlikely to be counterfeit as I've never seen them for sale anywhere else. Tokyo toys might not have the legal rights to stick Haruhi's face on the mousemat but there is no law saying they can't make and sell mousemats. And unless Haruhi's face is a registered trademark or a registered design I have a feeling there isn't much law to stop them. At worst its a copyright infringement, but its not actually a copy of an existing product, its only a partial copy.

Most of out avatars are unlicensed but they are not counterfeit. (and fall under fair usage when it comes to copyright...) Does this website have permission to use screenshots in DVD reviews or the images from sites like play.com?

Project-2501 said:
And unless Haruhi's face is a registered trademark or a registered design I have a feeling there isn't much law to stop them. At worst its a copyright infringement, but its not actually a copy of an existing product, its only a partial copy.

A Copyrighted product may not be copied in whole or in part without the owner of the rights express permission.

I doubt that anyone would be too bothered if you take a Naruto image down to your local T-Shirt Printers and asked them to make you a custom T-Shirt. However, if you were to ask them to make you 200 so you could sell them down the market then that's a different issue altogether.

Project-2501 said:
Most of out avatars are unlicensed but they are not counterfeit. (and fall under fair usage when it comes to copyright...) Does this website have permission to use screenshots in DVD reviews or the images from sites like play.com?

I think you've gone off on a tangent here. The use of images as avatars and in reviews, etc are not making anyone any money. I don't see the relevance.

Shiro Inu said:
I think you've gone off on a tangent here. The use of images as avatars and in reviews, etc are not making anyone any money. I don't see the relevance.

Fansubbing and P2P doesn't make anyone any money. A copyright infringement doesn't require exchange of money.

Mutsumi said:
It is not in the best interests of a clown like you to suggest I arm myself with pies. :p
Because you might rage and break your monitor by throwing pies at it?

Not a very scary internet threat that.

You had a bit of a lame try at taking the thread off topic too. You aren't very good at trolling are you?

You and Project-2501 are both in denial that you got mugged off when you bought the counterfeit stuff. You are like those Nigerian 419 scam victims who keep forking out the money because you believe they are nice people and will eventually give you a big fat payoff.

Face it you two. If anyone ever sees the counterfeit stuff in your collection and recognises it for what it is they will either pity you for having wasted your money or laugh at you for being a mug and not knowing crap from legitimate goods. The latter is the kind of attitude Durial666 has. He's showed clearly enough in his posts that he is one of those blame the victim types. He's laughing at you.

Project-2501. Stop wasting your time by waffling on about people's avatars and whatever. You know that this thread is about counterfeit goods sold at the Expo and you know that Trading Standards treats unlicensed goods as counterfeit. Denial is not a river in Egypt honey. Wake up and realise that Tokyo Toys have ripped you off with your mousemat and whatever other counterfeit crap they have sold you. If it is too late for you to report them to Trading Standards and get a refund then think about how you can help other people to avoid getting ripped off by dodgy traders.

And if any of you still don't get it. You can buy the counterfeit crap that the sellers here are pushing direct from the Chinese 'wholesalers' at much lower prices if you really have to have it. Why waste any more of your money than you absolutely have to?

Mangoanimuman said:
Project-2501. Stop wasting your time by waffling on about people's avatars and whatever. You know that this thread is about counterfeit goods sold at the Expo and you know that Trading Standards treats unlicensed goods as counterfeit.

I don't by counterfeit goods. I have bought some unlicensed goods but they are not counterfeit (as they are not copies or labeled as being genuine) and trading standards don't treat them as counterfeit. If you look in the other thread you will see I've actually bothered to check up the law on this with someone who deals with such things on a day to day basis.

Trading standards are very hot on real counterfeit goods and they would have raided Tokyo toys ages ago. If someone wants something and sees an item which looks identical for sale much cheaper then its their fault for being a cheapskate. And that is what drives the market. Caveat emptor.

Passing off bootleg DVDs as the genuine article is an offence, as the article correctly states they were guilty under the trade marks act.

The vast majority of unlicensed goods are not in breach as they do not use trade marked logos, designs etc..

If Trading Standards thought something dodgey was going on then they would have investigated.

So rather than taking up internet space why don't you call Trading Standards?

Project-2501 said:
Passing off bootleg DVDs as the genuine article is an offence, as the article correctly states they were guilty under the trade marks act.

The vast majority of unlicensed goods are not in breach as they do not use trade marked logos, designs etc..

If Trading Standards thought something dodgey was going on then they would have investigated.

So rather than taking up internet space why don't you call Trading Standards?
Read the OP post. I already have. I'm not the only one that has either.

Nice troll there Ryo. Not up to the standards of Neptune2Venus, but still nice.

Have you sorted your hotmail account yet? Don't want to be getting any more weird spam from it thanks.

uh huh, so fancy telling us who you really are rather than this 2nd account milarky as there's only 5 people from this forum who are even on my contacts list and would get the said spam

It's not a second account Ryo.

I'll give you a clue though. I know you, your brother Chaz, Arby, Neptune2Venus, Mangaminx, a couple more from around here that disappeared a few years ago (e.g. Bonnie and Neko) and I even knew White Rabbit. Is he still around? :D

Back