I, My, Me, Strawberry Eggs!

Miaka-chan

Stand User
I have just finished watching a very sweet and light hearted anime, called I, My, Me Strawberry Eggs. Anyone else seen it?

Strawberry Eggs is a sweet, endearing tale about forbidden love, unrequited love and one man's quest to be a great teacher.
It's filled with plenty of light hearted humour, sweet teenage longings and a dash of watered down fan service, which all make for a very entertaining series that has all round appeal.

Very nicely animated, with a good use of bright, strong colours, well structured backgrounds and buildings and very appealing character designs.

I love the op theme, it's very simple and sweet, but the ed theme does get a little irritating after a while. I actually prefered hearing it as a background song in the final episode, it seemed to fit the mood perfectly.
The BGM fitted perfectly adding just the right amount of emotion to the scenes.
The voice acting was surperb, and I have to admit to being surprised to find that it wasn't Takehito Koyasu (i.e. Hotohori/Fushigi Yuugi) playing the part of Hibiki, but Yuji Kishi. They sound so alike! Maybe I was fooled into thinking that, because another Fushigi Yuugi seiyuu, Yuji Ueda (Amiboshi), was playing the part of Akira Fukae - which he did perfectly.

As a side note, I really don't recommend the English language dub version, the voice actors just didn't fit the characters at all. The girls sounded too old and Hibiki sounded like a middle-aged man - blech!

For the mostpart, the storyline was reasonably refreshing. There aren't that many anime based around a man cross-dressing in a female sensei only school, but I'm not too sure about the age differences between the 2 "lovers", I found that just a little off putting. Add a couple of years onto the school kids ages and you have the ingredients for a more believable, and just as endearing tale.
That's my only comlaint though! The tale itself was very entertaining. Hibiki's transformation was actually very believable, both in looks and attitude. I love the way he got all embarassed when he realised how much he enjoyed shopping for lingerie!
The section of the story that covered the sexism within the school was very well done, as were the scenes of unrequited love - very emotional!
It has that perfect receipe of a light hearted beginning, then getting slighty more serious half way, with a much more serious tone towards the end, but it is done really well and you don't feel the change in mood is too sudden, or unnecessary.
The ending was utter perfection! You couldn't have asked for more. I shed buckets at the end (and I mean sobbed my heart out, even thinking about it now is bringing a lump to my throat!). I may be overly emotional, but you'd have to be a total hard nut, not to feel something when those ending credits roll.

This anime is overflowing with wonderful characters!
Hibiki Amawa is so believable as a woman, he almost takes on those feminine traits for real! He's just as sweet as a guy and I felt so sorry for him towards the end.
Akira Fukae is one of those guys that tries to act like a hard-nut, but underneath he's a real sweetie. The way he changes towards the girl who likes him, right at the end, really pulled at my heart strings.
Fuko Kuzuha is probably the only character I didn't find believable. I know she's the main female, but I just couldn't "gel" with her. Most innocent, clumsy sweet girls in anime are very endearing, but she's just not! To me she's a "plain Jane" and yet she has all these people after her (including the 2 pervs living with Hibiki), it's a case of huh? you gotta be kidding me! She is boring and just plain stupid!
I much prefered Fujio Himejima, she had personality, she was pretty, but because she was a "strong" girl, the guys didn't like her - I guess their masculinity was at stake *lol*
Ba-chan (Ruru Sanjo) was hilarious! The "coolest" old lady you'll ever meet. She helps Hibiki with his transformation, but not only that, she really does seem to love him almost like a son?! She also has the coolest bike in any anime (it's so cool when it transforms!). There is a bit of mystery surrounding Ba-chan though, you'll see what I mean at the very end!
What can you say about the Principal and the Vice Principal?! The Principal herself has obviously had a bad experience with men, it's the only explanation for her utter hatred towards them , which at times was a little OTT. The Vice Principal is a bit of an enigma, either she just shares the formers hate of men for the same reason, or she's a real weird feminist (I feel like calling her a lesbian, but I'm not sure if she is or not!).
The rest of the characters are wonderful, especailly the 2 very funny perverts who live with Hibiki will have you rolling around with their antics!

This is the second time I've watched this anime (I treated myself to region 1 DVDs :D ) and it's just as lovely as the first time around, although for some reason I was more aware of the fan service eliment in the show, which is basically kept to a few panty shots and the antics of the 2 pervs!
The storyline is entertaining, most of the characters are wonderful and the ending is perfect. It would be nice to see a continuation, say 2/3 years into the future of the original story!
I would recommend this anime to anyone really, for it's comedy, romance and endearing tale.

Back