I went to an Expo.

Sy

Time-Traveller
Yeah I finally went to one a few weeks ago, it was the Bristol Expo. I didn't really enjoy the experience. Nearly everybody at every stall was trying to sell me something when I walked past, they called me over and gave me an energetic speech about why I should buy their comic or other apparal. There were some friendly people there, one girl cornered me into having a conversation about Death Note since she noticed I was flicking through one of the manga and a couple of other people approached me about less interesting things but I politely humoured them.

I guess the biggest downer was the fact that even though the place was big I'd walked around and seen everything in the space of 20 minutes. So what else could I do except walk around a few more times. Lord knows how people can buy weekend tickets for these things and stay there all day on both days because after about an hour I was getting ready to leave. About a fiver to get in too.

Anyway it wasn't a total loss because I got to meet Jamie Smart, who wrote Bear. Probably the only guy that didn't try to sell me something and being a fan of his books I was happy to see he wasn't up his own **** like a lot of artists seemed to be there. He happily signed my book(I noticed some other people were charging for signings there), flooded me with free stickers and a copy of Fat Chunk, had a cool little conversation and I even bought the T-shirt I'd wanted which I saw on his site. Best part of the day.

The experience made me realise something though, I cringe when I hear people talking about such things loud and strong.

If you were there you might have seen me. Tall guy, dashing good looks, longish hair.

Seems quite a bad experience there then, The recent london expo couldn't it was packed so it was a struggle to move around so you didn't get people calling you to buy there 'products'.

Wouldn't of minded to meet Jamie Smart, personally would of rathered Jhonen Vasquez.

What was the Cosplaying turn out?

Oh poo to Jhonen Vasquez. His stuff is good but it's way overrated in my opinion.

I also decided I don't like cosplayers either. There was a lot.

How dare you shame Jhonen Vasquez, i do agree with the overratedness of him. But his original stuff pre-Zim was very funny and well drawn, but nowdays he seems to have given up on everything.

I do like ZIM just for the pure fact that i like 'dark and evil' cartoons.

Vasquez does seem like he's just disappeared now but it's not as bad as Roman Dirge who all he seems to do if flog T-shirts.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I completely forgot about the Bristol expo I was gonna head down there as I was on Nightshift how could I forget about it

STUPID STUPID STUPID

I hate cosplay as well, and have been really aprehensive about going to an expo in case I end up hating it as well.

I d'know, I like anime and all, but feel that going to things like this might just be taking it a little too far for my liking, I'm happy to just watch a few episodes a day and have my own private collection. Some people are way too proud of the fact that they watch the stuff.

Well I don't hate cosplayers, props to them for having the guts, they just make me cringe when I see them.

Nyu? You were at Bristol? I was there too, with Sweatdrop and with SelfMadeHero (Manga Shakespeare). What day did you go?

Bristol is a bit of a funny event, very very comics/creator oriented, sometimes the sellers outweigh the customers. But if wanting to get into the comic publishing industry, invaluable.

Bristol 2007 wasn't helped by the fact that the programme guides weren't acutally printed on time, so nobdy knew about the events and panels/workshops going on until a girl with a megaphone announced them by the entrance -_-;; I was in two panels, and only 10-20 people ended up coming, when there would normally be at least 30 or more. Bad weather too *sigh*

People call you over and try and sell their art/manga/whatever?
It sounds like being on holiday with all those people who stand outside cafes and bars and bug you to death about why you should stop at their place.
That sounds like something that would really put me off a con. (I don't know how to deal very well with them too.)

Sami said:
That sounds like something that would really put me off a con. (I don't know how to deal very well with them too.)
That was the most offputting part for me. They kinda lay a guilt trip on you to buy something. Some just came across as being desperate.

Damn you all.
Im going to my first con this year and now I dont know what to think.
AND Ive booked for the weekend(Tomo-Dachi)
Somebody quick tell me the good experiences to be had at cons.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Well I don't hate cosplayers, props to them for having the guts, they just make me cringe when I see them.

Agreed, I tried cosplaying at Minamicon and I had a blast, it was an amaizng weekend and although I did get bored at times, for the most part it was great fun especially getting to see loads of new anime series

McIcy said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:

Agreed, I tried cosplaying at Minamicon and I had a blast, it was an amaizng weekend and although I did get bored at times, for the most part it was great fun especially getting to see loads of new anime series

Thats more like it,c'mon MORE GOOD STUFF.

I have been hoping to go to Auchinawa but I think I'll go with a day ticket, rather than a weekend ticket if this is how it'll turn out.

I find at most of the expo's I go to, I've walked by all the stalls and brought anything I intended too within the first half hour. So then theres only the problem of finding something to do untill the events I want to see start. Then again I've offen planned to meet people there so the wait isn't always too long.

The main reason I go is for the cosplay, as i'm a cosplayer myself, though I find there are diffrent categories of cosplayers, some of which annoy me.
Firstly there are the kind who rush to make there outfits or buy them pre-made on ebay a few days before the event, then run around with 'Free hugs' signs trying to get there photo's onto the websites.

Secondly there are the type that put some effort into there costumes and weapons but tend to choose characters from Bleach, Naruto or Final Fantasy. This covers a vast amount of the cosplayers.

Lastly there are the group that cosplay as other characters, sometimes even there own, with outfits mostly brought pre-made from ebay but some that have been made themselves. Few people tend to notice these cosplayers untill they get on stage, some are ignored for using there own characters.

I love cosplaying personally and have loads of fun everytime! It's a great way to meet new people ^-^

Back