Issue 15 of NEO magazine

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Issue 15 of the UK's only Asian pop culture magazine NEO was released last week. Highlights of this month's issue include an interview with Manga UK's big boss Kaoru Mfaume, a one-stop guide to GONZO's popular new action series Samurai 7 (first DVD volume due 6th February) and the third part (looking at influx of erotic and violent anime flooding the UK during the 90s) of Jonathan Clements "history of anime" article.

NEO magazine costs £3.50 and can be found in any good newsagents (and some rubbish ones too!).

I got my subscription issue on Saturday; another good read that echoes the improved standards of the most recent issues. Jonathan Clements "history of anime" is easily the most interesting thing I've read in the magazine, especially since this month's issue covers the "violent filth" period of the mid 90s - the time I first started getting into anime.

What i find weird is how, sometimes, on the front cover they picture and name an anime, but it's nowhere to be seen in the entire magasine, namely, this issue, Dragon Ball, where on earth is there anything about it other than 1 game :/ Sailor Moon too, nowhere to be seen

DaNiMé said:
What i find weird is how, sometimes, on the front cover they picture and name an anime, but it's nowhere to be seen in the entire magasine, namely, this issue, Dragon Ball, where on earth is there anything about it other than 1 game :/ Sailor Moon too, nowhere to be seen

The voice of Goku is appearing in that Manchester con (Dragon Ball) and Sailor Moon is mentioned in a couple of the articles - the one about how to learn about Japan by watching anime and briefly in the History of Anime article.

It's vague, but it's there. :wink:

I've been looking for neo mag in the shops but can't seem to find it, I've checked a few newsagents and WHSmith but nowhere seems so have it, I don't wanna subscribe because I wanna see what it's like first, it looks like a good mag but I just can't find it ! >.>

I think it's a bit odd that they hadn't had time to note that Naruto had been licensed yet... I know often these magazines are written a couple of months in advance, but even so you'd think they could edit news like that.

Nice-looking RF Online posters, though. Don't know the game at all and I'm not particularly interested in playing it, but I want more wall candy.

The articles didn't grab me as much as they have done previously, though. The 'History of Anime' was as informative as ever- I guess we have Manga Entertainment to blame for at least half of anime's bad connotations here ^_~ The rest just didn't interest me that much.

fowler said:
I've been looking for neo mag in the shops but can't seem to find it, I've checked a few newsagents and WHSmith but nowhere seems so have it, I don't wanna subscribe because I wanna see what it's like first, it looks like a good mag but I just can't find it ! >.>
I have an hour's journey on bus and train to York to get my copy! The availability is a problem for many and always has been - personally I see subscribing as the best option in future. It's slightly cheaper that way too. :)

DaNiMé said:

They review the Dragonball game in the games section, and, as for Miss Moon... :? I can't think.

The overall standard of the mag is getting better all the time, and the thing I noticed that really stuck out in this issue was the newer, glossy kind of adverts, in particular the ones for Burst Angel and Full Metal Panic - It gave the mag a bit more of a NewType feel about it for a couple of pages...

Yet again they manage to slip in GITS. Do they get paid for every mention of it or something? Every issue there is something about it.

I found this issue to probably be one of the ones i've enjoyed the most, there was alot of good stuff in there, and the advertisement for that Manchester expo got me really excited - Anime voice actors, Ian Somerhalder from Lost, actors from Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Danny John Jules from Red Dwarf, it's like all my favourite things at one expo, shame it's in Manchester, lol

i find availability a problem at times. its a little sketchy on wether its in stores or not. could just be popularity though

Back