Japan starts crack down on fansubs and scanlations

CitizenGeek said:
Jayme said:
I wish you could base that "trash" on fact, Not opinion.

Why would you wish for that?
I just find these remarks you make about KyoAni stuff quite annoying. I wasn't sure whether that sentence before was the best way to put it, But it made sense it my head. Them titles do have much more than meets the eye though.

I'm not starting a argument so I'll going to be quiet from now on.

Jayme said:
I just find these remarks you make about KyoAni stuff quite annoying.

KyoAni evoke my ire for popularising a repulsively dumb genre of anime :]

Them titles do have much more than meets the eye though.

No, I'm pretty sure most of KyoAni's stuff is all "eye" - it's all eye candy for certain kinds of people.

Jayme said:
CitizenGeek said:
(I'm pretty sure that if people were paying for trash like Clannad and Kannon and Air, they wouldn't be as popular!).
I'm gonna have to step in here and say it's pretty much fact, dating sim based series are full of fail.

Lupus Inu said:
Jayme said:
CitizenGeek said:
(I'm pretty sure that if people were paying for trash like Clannad and Kannon and Air, they wouldn't be as popular!).
I'm gonna have to step in here and say it's pretty much fact, dating sim based series are full of fail.

maybe in your opinion, but then, same could be said for shows which ends up with "guess which character is going to die and with how much blood."

i'd take a dating sim storyline over death notes anyday

CitizenGeek said:
Ryo Chan said:
i'd take a dating sim storyline over death notes anyday

And that, unforetunately, is your loss :[
Some of us like our entertainment to be simply fun rather than something that makes us think. Sure there are good anime that are very thoughtful and I very much enjoy that when I am in such a frame-of-mind. However when I just want to have fun and wind-down the last thing I want is to watch something that engages my brain. I have no overall preference for any type of anime other than what suits my mood at any given time so saying something is worthless simply because it doesn't tick the boxes for you means pretty much absolutely nothing since to others it offers something quite different. I find it particularly tiresome that people decide to rag on about particular genres because they personally do not like it.

If you really don't like a particular genre, my advice is just don't talk about it at all since you are really adding nothing to any conversation other than a lot of groundless, pointless comments.

Gawyn said:
Some of us like our entertainment to be simply fun rather than something that makes us think. Sure there are good anime that are very thoughtful and I very much enjoy that when I am in such a frame-of-mind. However when I just want to have fun and wind-down the last thing I want is to watch something that engages my brain. I have no overall preference for any type of anime other than what suits my mood at any given time so saying something is worthless simply because it doesn't tick the boxes for you means pretty much absolutely nothing since to others it offers something quite different. I find it particularly tiresome that people decide to rag on about particular genres because they personally do not like it.

Fun anime does not require characters that look like they are 10 years old, are helpless and happen to get themselves into many situations that are nothing more than excuses for fanservice. Fun anime does not require moe/loli themes. Excel Saga, Azumanga Daioh, Fruits Basket and Full Metal Panic! are all fun anime that don't need to dumb down to moe or loli.

If you really don't like a particular genre, my advice is just don't talk about it at all since you are really adding nothing to any conversation other than a lot of groundless, pointless comments.

No, no - criticisms of moe/loli (KyoAni) stuff is far from groundless or pointless. I don't like sports anime, or shojo anime, but I'll rarely complain about those genres. However, moe/loli stuff is so insultingly terrible that I feel the need to actively criticise it. If I, and the others that do the same as I, didn't complain, then some people might start to think that moe and loli are 'okay' and companies might think it wise to make more of this kind of anime, or to license it and we wouldn't want that, would we?

CitizenGeek said:
Gawyn said:

Fun anime does not require characters that look like they are 10 years old, are helpless and happen to get themselves into many situations that are nothing more than excuses for fanservice. Fun anime does not require moe/loli themes. Excel Saga, Azumanga Daioh, Fruits Basket and Full Metal Panic! are all fun anime that don't need to dumb down to moe or loli.

No, no - criticisms of moe/loli (KyoAni) stuff is far from groundless or pointless. I don't like sports anime, or shojo anime, but I'll rarely complain about those genres. However, moe/loli stuff is so insultingly terrible that I feel the need to actively criticise it. If I, and the others that do the same as I, didn't complain, then some people might start to think that moe and loli are 'okay' and companies might think it wise to make more of this kind of anime, or to license it and we wouldn't want that, would we?

If your ego got any larger, it wouldn't fit onto the Internet. :oops:

CitizenGeek said:
Gawyn said:

So i'm guessing you have seen the likes of Kanon then? If you have then you would know for a fact that its not moe. The story is really well done and deserves a watch. I've not seen Air so i can't say if its moe or not, Clannad fair enough has a bit, but its usually better if you actually check the show out first before you judge it. Again though, this is my opinion, and from what i read above, you stated your opinion as well, not fact.

Arbalest said:
So i'm guessing you have seen the likes of Kanon then? If you have then you would know for a fact that its not moe. The story is really well done and deserves a watch. I've not seen Air so i can't say if its moe or not, Clannad fair enough has a bit, but its usually better if you actually check the show out first before you judge it. Again though, this is my opinion, and from what i read above, you stated your opinion as well, not fact.

No, I have watched the first 7 episodes of Kanon and about the same amount of episodes for Clannad and Air. They are all very definitely moe, and are all very definitely fine examples of anime I don't want to see more of. It's devoid of even the most superficial kind of depth and relies entirely on cute, young-looking characters. Such anime are almost insulting to the likes of Akira, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop etc.

melonpan said:
If your ego got any larger, it wouldn't fit onto the Internet.

Is that so? :lol:

CitizenGeek said:
Arbalest said:

No, I have watched the first 7 episodes of Kanon and about the same amount of episodes for Clannad and Air. They are all very definitely moe, and are all very definitely fine examples of anime I don't want to see more of. It's devoid of even the most superficial kind of depth and relies entirely on cute, young-looking characters. Such anime are almost insulting to the likes of Akira, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop etc.

melonpan said:
If your ego got any larger, it wouldn't fit onto the Internet.

Is that so? :lol:

you really can't take the fact that different people like different kinds of animes without something being wrong with them can you?

Ryo Chan said:
you really can't take the fact that different people like different kinds of animes without something being wrong with them can you?

No, I can understand why people like sports anime and shojo anime, even though I don't like them. It's just moe/loli stuff that really, really annoys me. The very fact that it exists is one thing, but that it's actually popular is even more irritating.

CitizenGeek said:
Ryo Chan said:

No, I can understand why people like sports anime and shojo anime, even though I don't like them. It's just moe/loli stuff that really, really annoys me. The very fact that it exists is one thing, but that it's actually popular is even more irritating.

well nout you can do about it other than just ignore it then is there, all bashing it every 5 mins is going to do is start arguements that will eventually lead to insults

Ryo Chan said:
CitizenGeek said:
Ryo Chan said:

well nout you can do about it other than just ignore it then is there, all bashing it every 5 mins is going to do is start arguements that will eventually lead to insults

That won't take long... I'll give it ten minutes.

Ryo Chan said:

I'm perfectly entitled to bash it, and I'll continue to do so :]

Moe/loli is not good, the shows based around it are not good and it's an injustice that moe and loli tripe get more viewers than stuff that deserves viewers.

And arguments don't have to lead to insults - I haven't insulted anyone. In fact, the only people to throw around insults in this disagreement were you (I think you accused me of forcing my opinions on others) and melonpan (who, IIRC, implied I was arrogant).

Have a nice day ^_^

CitizenGeek said:
Ryo Chan said:

I'm perfectly entitled to bash it, and I'll continue to do so :]

Moe/loli is not good, the shows based around it are not good and it's an injustice that moe and loli tripe get more viewers than stuff that deserves viewers.

And arguments don't have to lead to insults - I haven't insulted anyone. In fact, the only people to throw around insults in this disagreement was you (I think you accused me of forcing my opinions on others) and melonpan (who, IIRC, implied I was arrogant).

Have a nice day ^_^

Being honest, no one show deserves more viewers than the next. In the end they all do exactly what they where made out to do, entertain and bring in money.
Moe isn't entirely that bad(i still don't see kanon as moe by the way, but i can see it in clannad), so long as the story is good enough, which out of the ones i've seen are, then i don't see a problem with it.

The more the argument goes on, the more you're going to push people away from wanting to join this forum and join any kind of conversation we have here, and anyway - no one's actually defined exactly what "moe" is, which is making the perpetrator look pretty stupid, isn't it?

melonpan said:
The more the argument goes on, the more you're going to push people away from wanting to join this forum

I'm not arguing with myself, other people are arguing too, and other people are actually getting personal with it. But no, because I happen to disagree with your opinion on moe/loli/KyoAni (which you obviously like), you blame me for the argument. How hilariously transparent of you, melonpan.

which is making the perpetrator look pretty stupid, isn't it?

Oh yes, nevermind that the people arguing back haven't defined moe, but continue to discuss it as well - it's the anti-moe perpetrator that looks bad, because ... you know .. he doesn't agree with you.

The only thing that looks stupid is how utterly see-through and childish your bias is ;]

no one's actually defined exactly what "moe" is

Most anime fans know what moe is. It's difficult to give a concise definition, but there are certain shows you can look at and say "Yep, that's definitely moe" and tripe like Clannad and Kannon are "definitely moe".

Back