Kanacon - new UK anime convention set for London in 2008?

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Arriving in a late night news report, signed literally by Anonymous Tip, Anime UK News has received word that a new UK anime convention could be set to appear in the heart of England, London. Rumored to be called "Kanacon", the new event could be set to kick off during the summer of 2008 and will be supported by the major UK anime publishers.

It goes without saying that until official news is published, Kanacon exists purely as a rumor.

Original E-Mail said:
POTENTIAL FULL LONDON CONVENTION?
Rumours of a London based Anime/Manga convention surface amongst the community.

LONDON, UK - January 11, 2007. - Recently, rumours of a convention set to take place in London have surfaced amongst various areas of the UK Anime and Manga community. Not much information is currently known, and what little we have, is very unclear. The name "Kanacon" comes up regularly, and one constant is that the location for this supposed event is London. Whilst London has the very popular MCM Expo events, it has yet to have a full blown Anime & Manga convention. JapanEX springs to mind, however - that is an exhibition.

One thing that can be confirmed, is that various industry members have been contacted in regards to an event by the name of Kanacon - yet they were unwilling to divulge any information in regards to it. Whether they would be attending the event, were backing it, or had even heard of it.

So, I guess all we can do is wait for an official announcement of the event - supposedly set to run in the summer of 2008. Could these rumours have been intentional leaks by the commitee of Kanacon itself, intending to generate the necessary hype to get their event off of the ground?

Sounds interesting, yes? :) I've no idea who this is, but the professional structure of the press release suggests that it could be serious. Time for people to start searching the web for Kanacon then... And so the viral marketing begins ;)

Gawyn said:
Ryo Chan said:
why oh why is it allways down south :(
There is a commitee setting up a convention in Manchester, tentatively called ManCon. (ManCon's Temporary forum)

Nothing is absolutely formalised on this but there is a strong possibility this will go ahead...

If they have a Japanese food tasting, will they be serving "Men's Pocky"? (waits for people to throw sharp objects, then ducks)

both cons are interesting if true, as much as I prefer con's to be central-based (amecon is midlands, for instance), I get the feeling that a London based or Manchester based con would be able to attract more guests just purely because both London and Manchester are more well known in both America & Japan than Birmingham/Leicester.

Back