Let Me In -Did anyone see it?

Ark

Adventurer
Did anyone else see this yet? I've never actually liked a vampire movie/series before but this one totally blew me away. A lot of vampire movies tend to be quite corney but this one wasn't at all. Vampires tend to be portrayed either as wierd campy aristocrats/goths or as zombie beastmen. This film portrayed vampirism more as a kind of tragic mental illness rather than an identity that consumes the person's whole being.

I saw it at the cinema last year.

http://genkinahito.wordpress.com/2010/11/12/let-me-in/

I liked the fact it amped up the horror which made it hugely atmospheric and Chloё Grace-Moretz is a great actress - always watchable. I agree about the interesting portrayal of vampirism, it's very refreshing.

It's a remake of the Swedish film Let the Right One In which is based on a book of the same name. I recommend you see the original as well as a lot of people rate that highly and there's a lot to like. Interestingly it was Hammer Horror's first new film in a long time.

Genkina Hito said:
I recommend you see the original as well as a lot of people rate that highly and there's a lot to like.

I saw that as well. That didn't have the same impact on me though. I really felt Owen's sadness and isolation was portrayed so believably and effectively. Whereas Oskar just came across as a 12 year old sociopath.

In general the remake seemed to focus on the emotional turmoil of the two kids whereas the original was more focused on their abnormality which in this case wasn't as appealing to me.

Yup, me and the gf watched it at the start of the year. Really good but at the same time really creepy. I've gotta say, that girl does scary acting really well (considering she's also hitgirl in KICK-ASS)

When we first watched it we thought the girl was completely normal at the beginning, and the boy had some mental problems (stabbing a tree) but the more the story unfolded the realisation that they are both weirdo's, it was just too weird.

I thought the old man was just a guardian or something, when it turned out he was the girls old "lover"? it was abit creepy. and the way she killed in the film was savage. Always pictured vampires to have an air of elegence/dominance in their "feeding" but that was like a wild dog ripping at a womans throat at one point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't seen the US one, but love the Swedish release. However, despite its theme being centred on Vampires, I actually didn't think it was a horror movie and more a comment on the loneliness all teenage kids feel at some point.

Back