Live action Ghibli; My Hime spin-off; Yoko Kanno new project

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
<ul>
<li><a href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-08-21/grave-of-the-fireflies-to-be-made-as-live-action-film">A live action movie version</a> of Grave of the Fireflies is on the way and due for a Japanese theatrical release during 2008. The classic 1988 anime film (of same name) from Studio Ghibli is acclaimed by many to be one of the finest animated movies of all time; based on Akiyuki Nosaka's tragic novel, Grave of the Fireflies follows two young war orphans who find themselves homeless and starving during the US's prolonged bombardment of WWII Japan.</li>
<li>Another spin-off from the magical girl/shonen "My Hime" franchise has been announced; "My Otome S.ifl" is said to be a prequel to "My Otome" and will no doubt feature school girls with strange powers and "interesting" fashion sense.</li>
<li>Legendary anime soundtrack composer Yoko Kanno will be contributing her talents to the new Macross TV series "Macross F (Macross Frontier)" .</li>
</ul>

I'm baffled that anyone wants to put themselves through yet more "Grave of the fireflies"... it's wonderful film, but damn, I wouldn't call it entertainment, more like a damning obituary for human nature.

And oh joy, yet another "Hime" spin-off. I'll try to contain my excitement (BOOOO).

Finally, Yoko Kanno and Macross... Could be another great combination ala Macross Plus.

I reallly should get around to watching Grave of the Fireflies!

I think Yoko Kanno's best work (of all the Kanno I've heard) was on Macross Plus by far. So, let's hope she can pull it off again!

Paul said:
I'm baffled that anyone wants to put themselves through yet more "Grave of the fireflies"... it's wonderful film, but damn, I wouldn't call it entertainment, more like a damning obituary for human nature.

And oh joy, yet another "Hime" spin-off. I'll try to contain my excitement (BOOOO).

Finally, Yoko Kanno and Macross... Could be another great combination ala Macross Plus.

don't be so negative, some of us like the hime franciase ^^

ooo, i'd like to see how well Yoko Kanno's work does in Macross F, as said before, Macross plus has a great musical score.

i don't mind the Hime series, i've only just started it admittedly but its not that bad, so i may look into that new one as well, when i get the chance.

Akaten said:
Macross F huh, what about Macross Zero, I want it!
It's put on fansub. It's good but lacks the greatness of Macross Plus. I'll be interested to see how the new one turns out (I've been secretly wishing for some more Macross goodness lately).

As for some more Kanno, that's always good news!

In terms of Grave of the Fireflies...I was under the impression it was semi-biographical so I don't know whether an alternative retelling will carry the same impact as the original. Speaking of which, Takahata's movie is indeed one of the finest works of art ever set to cel...even so, I was sobbing like a child after that film! It's one of those films that should be seen by EVERYONE but I would think twice about putting myself through the anguish again any time soon. It's a movie that conveys its message all too well, if that makes any sense at all.

Not too sure aboput the My Hime movie, I found the first series to be too long and could have been done in less episode, infact I really lost interest around ep 16 so stopped watching it

Hum, you sure that joke trailer and this new thing are one and the same?

Cuz that Trailer was about the Otome Orgional Chracters being mixed into Mai Hime (The main antagonist being Arika).

Back