London expo

I've been to Chester a few times.

Considering it is roughly north of the Midlands, one was quite surprised by the number of French tourists wandering the streets there. I counted more than six.

Can't afford to go this year or the year after this ¬¬.
I spend more getting to London and paying for a Hotel than actual anime and manga. Such madness!

I'll be attending once again.

Picking up a few PVC statues I pre-ordered from one of the vendors at the expo, so looking forward to that. I would have liked to meet up with some of you guys but these days I'm really inactive here so I'll give it a miss until I'm posting more regularly again. :]

chaos said:
Nemphtis said:
Hey, we are doing a meetup at the Fox around 2pm, right after the steampunk panel. Come say hi to us!

Might just do that, although I'm not sure where the Fox is. I'm guessing it's the bar on the bridge between the station and ExCel's entrance?

Nemphtis said:
chaos said:
Nemphtis said:
Hey, we are doing a meetup at the Fox around 2pm, right after the steampunk panel. Come say hi to us!

Might just do that, although I'm not sure where the Fox is. I'm guessing it's the bar on the bridge between the station and ExCel's entrance?

That's it.

I actually dropped by at 2PM but only then realised that I have no idea what any of you look like. So I looked around a bit, couldn't see any tell-tale signs of someone being an AUKN member, and headed back into ExCel. I was hoping one of you might spot me cluelessly looking around and recognise me from the avatar with a bit of luck, but that didn't happen. :]

@Nemphtis - Oh no! Sorry to hear that. I hope you had a good time at expo though.

@Hopeful - Congrats on getting on the course. If I happen to see you today, I will certainly say hello.

Nemphtis said:
I actually dropped by at 2PM but only then realised that I have no idea what any of you look like. So I looked around a bit, couldn't see any tell-tale signs of someone being an AUKN member, and headed back into ExCel. I was hoping one of you might spot me cluelessly looking around and recognise me from the avatar with a bit of luck, but that didn't happen. :]

You were outside, no? I thought I saw you but then when I returned after looking around the bar you weren't there. Then again, it might have been someone else.

Jayme said:
Nemphtis said:

You were outside, no? I thought I saw you but then when I returned after looking around the bar you weren't there. Then again, it might have been someone else.

I was outside the door at first, just looking in, but I walked inside and walked up to the bar and around the first floor for a few minutes. I had a Chi cosplayer next to me, so if you saw a guy with a Chi that was definitely me.

I figure I should crawl out of my hole to write a review of my experience this year...

When I was entering Stratford Station, a pigeon **** on me. This was to set a precedent for the rest of my day.

Last October, when I arrived at 8:00 AM, the line was relatively small and I was in the main area well before 9:30. This year, I arrived at the same time and the queue was absolutely huge! I didn't get in until some time between 9:30-10:00, I couldn't stand looking at my clock after waiting for so long. What is the point of selling so many early entry tickets when so few manage to get early entry?
Also, some bastard (for the lack of a lesser word) thought it would be funny to cover my back with Nanny McPhee stickers that were given to everybody in their free goody bags. Nobody behind me in the queue bothered to tell me about it, but they thought it was still worth laughing at anyway.

The expo itself was alright, though compared to the last two it was my least enjoyable. The Games Village had the most on offer with Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Transformers, and the Anime Village had its usual regulars with some great buys on smaller stalls. The rest of the expo, however, wasn't much of an interest to me and I decided to leave at around 2:20 PM. The main stage was always packed so I couldn't see anything worthwhile and events started to delay over the course of the day, so I gave up.
The crowds in the expo were hard to maneuver and the ratio of true fans to trolls and /b/tards was more level than I had ever seen before. It's a shame the behaviour of these people overshadow the great deal of work other cosplayers dedicate to their costumes. My favourites this year were the full suit Gizmo, the Thundercats, Zero Suit Samus and the increase in Tsunade cosplayers, which is always a good thing in my book.

I am hoping the next expo in October will be better managed with regards to the queue and misbehaviour. Maybe my view was tarnished with the pigeon incident at the start of the day, but this is how I feel.

And as a bonus, here is a picture of Gizmo waving to the queue!

Did no-one else write up their thoughts on this? Or can I just not see the thread in question? I need to try to go to the October one, I think.

At the moment you're fine, but I wouldn't leave it too late. There's only a thousand or so early entry tickets. I'm hoping they all don’t sell out by october. My mates need to buy their tickets still too.

Back