love anime film 4

I saw it, thought about recording it, didn't because I would lose some much needed space on my SKY+HD HDD. That space goes for... err... other stuff. I rarely get around to watching recorded anime anyway.

Got Metropoli. on DVD (Picked it up in a market lol) and loved it.

What's really been bugging me though is that Sony said Animax was gonna laucnh at the end of 2007, but there's been no word on if it's happened or not, and also on what e.g. Sky (dobut that) or Virgin Media. It's a big pain in the **** being left in the dark <_<

Saw Metropolis yesterday, it was probably the most fluidly animated 2D film I've ever seen, which made it very enjoyable. I got quite wrapped up in the plot, but was more interested in Tima then anything and didn't really understand some of it. I'll be getting on DVD though, so I'll watch it again.

Ditchdigger said:
liamoflegends said:
Only Yesterday is showing again on Thursday 3rd November at 2:25 PM, not AM

Good, I completely forgot about it yesterday. The 3rd is Tuesday though.

I mean Tuesday

I missed it yesterday as well, I thought it was on at 11pm, and won't be able to watch it on Tuesday because of college :(

Laputa: Castle in the Sky - Thursday 10th Dec, Film 4, 11am and Tuesday 15th Dec, Film 4, 4:05pm

Also I saw Kiki's Delivery Service in their Christmas trailer, but no date yet.

Olio8O said:
I really wish Film4 would get off the Ghibli bandwagon now - there are so many other anime films that they could show!

They could, but that requires getting permission to show them. Channel 4 probably got a licence to show Studio Ghibli films.

liamoflegends said:
They could, but that requires getting permission to show them. Channel 4 probably got a licence to show Studio Ghibli films.
Indeed. Considering how common British conceptions of anime do not extend far beyond Ghibli nowadays, I cannot see much of a need to focus on something else— they already have the licences for the tried and tested films.
(Ironically, I've heard that Mr. M doesn't like his works being referred to as 'anime'.)

Because they're onto a good thing, why would they take a chance on something new and risky? Optimum probably let them show Ghibli films for a decent price because they're guaranteed to sell DVDs. Marketing animation to kids (and marketing animation for kids to their parents) is one of the easiest things in the world. Marketing animation to adults? Whole different matter.

All I'm saying is that it seems a bit of a waste. Film4 is supposed to be a diverse channel that plays as much arthouse as it does hollywood, its the perfect existing channel to get behind anime. Its great that they show Ghibli, but it would be nice if they branched out into other anime titles. I'm sure they couldn't air films that have not been domestically released (eg Galaxy Express 999) due to the cost, but what about things that are already licensed?

Actually, what they can show is completely unrelated to DVD releases. So anime that has never seen the light of day here can potentially be shown on Film 4. The thing about Film 4 is that they don't buy single movies, they buy movie packages, whole batches of films that they can show X number of times, which is why we get them again and again. They must have got a sweet deal with Optimum and Ghibli.

But it's also down to them showing what they think will be watched. I think on several fora, Manga bods have stated that they have tried to get some of their anime movies on TV, but no one is buying. Miyazaki sells, Ghibli sells. The plus side is that we do get some films, like Whisper of the Heart, Grave of the Fireflies, which aren't immediately fairy tale fare.

It's just a matter of e-mailing/writing to them, and being patient. They have a broad remit which goes beyond just anime. It's world cinema in its entirety, as well as the usual Hollywood blockbusters. Personally I was thrilled recently with their Asia season, which saw films like Kamikaze Girls and Memories of Matsuko getting TV airings.

Agree it would be so cool if they could get the Satoshi Kon movies. Although 12 months down the line, we'd be tired of them too.

Back