Manga Entertainment Parent Company Up For Sale

Posted this on the news home.

I must admit that comes as quite a shock, considering how well Manga seems to be going right now, but then again, I guess that's just how corporate business goes.

If I had the money, I'd buy Manga.

Funimation is owned by Navarre, which in turns, owns Revelation. It didnt'work in the past when they were both from the same group, so I don't see it working if they bought Manga.

chaos said:
Funimation is owned by Navarre, which in turns, owns Revelation. It didnt'work in the past when they were both from the same group, so I don't see it working if they bought Manga.
I know, but would it work if Manga was the UK arm of FUNi?

It didn't work with Revelation being the UK arm of Funi, but I ultimately blame Navarre for that, so if they did buy Manga, I could picture Manga going the same way as Revelation did.

It's hard to say unless it actually happened. Revelation was considerably bad at communicating as it's releases were getting delayed andeventually cancelled, so I can only hope that whoever buys Manga either improves them or let them keep doing business as they are right now.

Isn't FUNimation its own entity now (or waiting for someone to buy them) since Navarre dropped them for not properly fitting into their business model?

Manga essentially is the UK arm of FUNi in that they have the same distribution agreement that FUNi used to have with Rev Films and MVM before them. Unlike Revelation though Manga also has a dsitro agreement with Viz and licenses stuff themselves like MVM.

Mohawk52 said:
Whats Jerome's idea about this on Twitter?

According to the MangaUK Twitter:

Our parent company Overture may or may not be up for sale! It's not unusual. Nothing to worry about.

From what I can tell, Starz (Manga's parent company) have been looking to get rid of their loss making movie studio (Overture) for a while. It's now emerged, following a failed management buyout of Overture, that all of Starz Media (which includes Overture, Anchor Bay and Manga) is up for sale. There are groups out there who are interested in buying the entire lot - and it's been said a deal will be struck with one of those if possible.

At the moment, it's unlikely that Manga will get sold off separately. However, if they are, I would expect Viz rather than Funimation to be the buyer. Don't forget Viz's parent companies brought the largest anime distributors in France and Germany last year. Manga UK would make a tempting addition to that group.

I honestly don't care as long as the buying company isn't a gaggle of tits who couldn't market their way out of a wet paper bag that was on fire.

So anyone but MVM and Toei, really.

Back