Manga Entertainment subtitles problem

megagold5

Straw Hat Pirate
I have noticed a problem with Manga Entertainment's DVD releases and was wondering as to just how recurring it is.

It seems in many DVD releases they do not include separate english subtitle tracks for titles and signs, I have found this from first hand experience with Bleach and Naruto. Also, the recent review of Ouran High School Host Club noted the same problem on that release, despite a titles and signs track definitely being available on the U.S release. Is this an issue on all of Manga's DVD releases?

I find this to be a rather large problem and just another reason to buy U.S DVDs instead, depsite really not wanting to...

Hmmmmmm...

Death Note doesn't seem to suffer this problem--but I can't vouch for all of their releases, I'm afraid.

It really is quite an issue in Ouran, mind. I tried watching the dub with the regular subtitles track, in the end.

The Ouran english release is pretty awful really.

You can't watch the dub because you can't read the signs,and you can't watch the sub because the text moves into the middle of the screen, blocking the action, to avoid covering the sign that you can't read. I really hope someone got fired for that.
Eventually I just watched the dub and ignored the signs.

Death Note's english release subtitles are good.
With a few minor slipups.

Of Manga's recent Funimation releases, if they stripped out the extras, then the signs track went with it. Ouran is the prominent example. If however the release is much like the R1 or R4 discs, with extras intact, then the signs track is there.

No signs in Ghost Hunt or Ouran, signs in pretty much everything else.

I wonder what the chances are that they might, maybe, if the stars are aligned properly, fix this in the inevitable box set release of Ouran? ......Please?

I watched Ouran without worrying about a few Japanese symbols of which 90% of the time I figured out what they were, it's not like it destroys the show.

Now that you mentioned it, I have been seeing it alot in Manga Ent releases.

I'm usally not to bothered with signs as such, but I have to agree in Ouran it was needed or I would of thought it would of been translated at least.

Although I don't watch Naruto or Bleach subbed anymore, I heard (from here I believe, correct me if I was wrong here) the subs were corrected in their later releases, we should mention this see if they would look into it.

Maybe it's as you say to cut costs in extras, since most releases are just over 2 cases now rather than 6/7.

Manga's subs have always been slightly ****.

They stopped giving a **** towords Naruto some time into Season 3 and just used the Dub Script.

There's the Ouran Sign issue (which makes me worry for a SGT. Frog release).

Generaly speaking they need to buck thier ideas up.

Like others have said, their subtitles have always been a problem. They either followed the dub rather than the Japanese dialogue (Millennium Actress), were completely out of sync (Stand Alone Complex volume 1), had hearing impaired tracks as their only option (Akira) but in most cases never had separate sign sub tracks.

The only DVD release I have ever bought from them where the subtitles weren't messed up was the first volume of Death Note. It even had sign only subs if you'd rather watch the dub. Seems like Death Note is a one off though because since then I've bought series off them with odd subtitles again. Some are more distracting than others, like on one of the Stand Alone Complex DVD's there is a huge black bar behind the subs. Really distracting.

God! Those GITSAC subs were awful. Thankfully the days of subs like that, and the year of dubtitles that followed are long since behind us. The only problem I have with Manga now are the absent signs on some of their releases. In some cases, like Viz, that can be traced back to the US release.

I may be wrong on this, but the US Death Note discs don't have signs, we got a transfer via R4 Madman, which is why the UK discs do have signs.

Off the top of my head, recent and forthcoming Manga releases with subs and signs, based on check discs include

xxxHolic, Claymore, Darker Than Black, Shigurui Death Frenzy, Negima S2, and Guyver Bioboosted Armor.

I can't remember, but I think Baldr Force EXE might be the same.

Apparently the year of Dubtitles we got was down to the company that took over Manga wanting to cut down costs. I imagine they cut down sales as well because they stopped that pretty quickly.

Back