MANGA UK Focus Group at London Expo?

Mutsumi said:
JAKEMAN said:
Mutsumi said:
!!!

Another old face returns! :D

Mutsumi my EXPO Brother what ho!

How've you been, dude? Not seen you since the last time I went to Expo!

(I know like forever :D , I been up to lots haha, but been going to the expo like always since the last i saw you. Gonna be Jeice and my fiance Karis is gonna be The Supreme Kai so look out for the red and purple couple lol. How are you and Aimz)

I just joined the facebook group so lets play the waiting game

Thought I'd bump this for the following reason.

I'm actually a part of the focus group so I thought I'd open it for everyone. If you want me to forward anything to them then I can!

I would like to express my extreme dismay at their policy of region-locking blu-rays, especially as we are notorious for being an expensive, annoying place to import from anyway.

If they can occasionally be flexible on this (and let us know when they are) I will buy the UK blu version from them, otherwise I'll simply keep importing - I don't intend to buy a whole second player just because companies are silly with new technologies.

R

Mention that Kaze mastering Vampire Knight and Guilty on four discs where Viz and Madman did it on 3 isn't good, neither is Kaze using User Prohibited Operations on their discs, locking soundtracks and subtitles during playback.

Three and four episodes per disc is not on anymore. If that was necessary, then they should have released two disc collections as Kaze did in France.

I'm in the focus groups also, so depending if i'm in the same group as other members of this site (like Churchy), I will also be glad to ask the questions you guys post.

Give 'em Hell, boys, my comments are back on page one.

I'd also like to add please, Manga, don't use Funimation's er... (now what do I call them? The last time I used the word 'masters' and there was an almighty row about what the term meant) video... things... y'know, the video files that are written onto production Blu-ray discs during the manufacturing process. Yeah. Don't use Funimation's ones of those. Because it looks like most of them are shite.

Just Passing Through said:
Mention that Kaze mastering Vampire Knight and Guilty on four discs where Viz and Madman did it on 3 isn't good, neither is Kaze using User Prohibited Operations on their discs, locking soundtracks and subtitles during playback.

Three and four episodes per disc is not on anymore. If that was necessary, then they should have released two disc collections as Kaze did in France.
Disk numbers I'm cool with, how many parts the release is split into matters much more.
Also UPO is horrendously annoying, things like clean OP and ED with forced English subs are just horrendous.

Bug them about anouncing stuff years and years before possible release, then delaying for ages to wait for the US to dub it (Summer Wars, EVA2.22). Or just silently dropping it (Honey and Clover?). It's just plain anoying and makes us not trust their announcements.

Some bugging about only reasing mostly action and SF shows. Lack of available slice of life and romance anime here is quite severe. There's even less of them than moe shows, and they're in single figures. I have Bamboo Blade on preorder, tell them to keep at it.

ayase said:
I'd also like to add please, Manga, don't use Funimation's er... (now what do I call them? The last time I used the word 'masters' and there was an almighty row about what the term meant) video... things... y'know, the video files that are written onto production Blu-ray discs during the manufacturing process. Yeah. Don't use Funimation's ones of those. Because it looks like most of them are shite.
Most FUNi BDs are from SD masters and upscaled rather than being from a HD source, this is the case with anything not on BD in Japan. Some of those do look shite, but Manga aren't releasing them anyway. Some of FUNi's DVDs look realy bad as well. They've suposedly got much better though.

Reaper gI said:
ayase said:
Most FUNi BDs are from SD masters and upscaled rather than being from a HD source, this is the case with anything not on BD in Japan. Some of those do look shite, but Manga aren't releasing them anyway. Some of FUNi's DVDs look realy bad as well. They've suposedly got much better though.
Upscales can be done well though. It's not just the limitations of the source material with some of the Funi BDs. I still buy them anyway, because they are often cheaper than the UK DVD releases. And Manga have released Funi titles before on BD. I'm not sure how you can know they aren't planning on releasing any more in the future.

I think Manga have mentioned in the past that they will release Funi titles on Blu-ray, but not upscales, as they see that as pointless, most players will upscale DVDs anyway.

Hence Sengoku Basara, Eden of the East, FMA:B are coming out on Blu this year as in the US, but not Baccano! which is an upscale.

Me and Reevo are both in the same group so we'll try and get what we can in! Also the issue of a broader range of genre's maybe something we'll encounter during the expo group. That's a little hint for you!

Just Passing Through said:
Another question worth asking is are prices going up, or rather how much will prices go up when VAT increases?

This is one I will definitely ask in there. As we know there's an industry panel now there too, that's another chance to ask some questions but we'll see if we can squeeze out some more secret information!

Back