MangaUK Going Blu-Ray Only With Ben-To And Good Luck Girl

2014-09-06Good%20Luck%20Girl.jpg

This weekend, the MCM Comic Con circuit is in Glasgow for the MCM Glasgow Comic Con and the United Kingdon's largest anime distributor, Manga Entertainment UK, is once again in attendance.

During their panel today, the company confirmed that they will be releasing two brand new titles in the United Kingdom, but what makes the announcement even more interesting is that unlike the vast majority of the distributor's upcoming releases, they will be forgoing a DVD release and only going with the high definition blu-ray format!

Ben-To from David Production (Inu x Boku SS, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders) is the first of today's two announcements. Based on a light novel series by Asaura, the series is an action comedy about people who literally fight over discount bento boxes.

The second new acquisition is Sunrise's Good Luck Girl!, a supernatural comedy series adapted from Yoshiaki Sukeno's manga about a girl who has so much good luck that the world has gone out balance and the God of Misfortune who is sent to try and fix the balance.

Both series' have been licensed in North America by FUNimation Entertainment.

Source

Re: MangaUK Going Blu-Ray Only With Ben-To And Good Luck Gir

Blu-ray only is a very interesting choice to be honest. It's honestly about time people let go of DVD.

It doesn't surprise me to be honest - they must know their prime market of hardcore buyers is getting increasingly Blu-Ray led. I think the split is already at least 50/50.

It must save them a fair bit in terms of cash too in terms of not having to make a load of DVDs too (plus, they probably make more from a pricier Blu Ray package than a DVD one).

Will be interested to see the reaction to this, the reaction to the Blue Exorcist dub version being blu-ray only wasn't universally positive. Not interested in picking up either of the shows though.

VoxPhantom said:
Will be interested to see the reaction to this, the reaction to the Blue Exorcist dub version being blu-ray only wasn't universally positive. Not interested in picking up either of the shows though.
The Blue Exorcist situation was interesting due to DVD previously being supported for the sub-only release. I wonder how different it will be with MangaUK heading into blu-ray from the get-go here.

Too soon! Distros started ditching VHS only when the DVD VHS ratio was 80:20. This smacks of a cost-cutting measure by Manga, as PALifying DVDs now that Madman aren't, costs more than authoring Blu-rays. Devil take Starz for not allowing Manga to release NTSC!

The best solution would be if they could work out a long term arrangement akin to that one-off between Funimation and Aniplex for Baccano. Split the licenses with MVM, let MVM release the DVDs while Manga pushes the Blu-rays. There's still a bigger profit margin in DVD, authoring aside they are far cheaper to manufacture.

A step in the right direction if you ask me. Manga said on their last podcast its actually cheaper and faster (no NTSC to PAL transfer) for them to do Blu rays, so if it means we get releases closer to the US release AND blu ray count me in :D

Will be interesting to see the Ben-To situation after the fumbled US non release.

Will be getting Binbougami ga! (that English title is silly so I'm using the Japanese one. Then again I use the Japanese titles for just about everything anyway so...)

Interesting it being Blu-Ray only but I'm not going to complain.

I'm surprised. Good Luck Girl is a great show to own so hopefully it does well for Manga. As for Ben-To, they'll have to wait as long as Sankarea on that one.

Re: Manga at MCM Glasgow.

Here's the rest of the news, courtesy of UKAN:
In other news from the panel, it's been confirmed that Fairy Tail Collection 3 (comprising parts five and six of the series) will be released on DVD and Blu-ray, most likely in January.

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods has been confirmed for DVD, Blu-ray and Collector's Edition SKUs upon its November 10th release date. All three versions of the film will contain both the theatrical and Director's Cut editions of the film, while the Collector's Edition will contain a set of four art cards, a slip cover, and a DVD of bonus materials not available in the standard Blu-ray release.

Bayonetta: Bloody Fate is slated for a November 26th release date, complete with a Steelbook Edition of the film. Harlock: Space Pirate will be released on DVD and Blu-ray in late February.

With part one of Attack on Titan almost upon us, it's also been confirmed that the second half of the series on Blu-ray will contain a similar booklet to that found in part one.

Looks like Funimation might be releasing Collection 3 in December then.

Good luck Manga!

I may have been interested in GLG but I have no Blu-ray player and don't intend to get one till I can justify the cost to myself, have money and ideally replace my DVD player.

I didn't expect either of those shows tbh. I really enjoyed Ben-To & I've been interested in watching Good Luck Girl for a while after seeing some clips online. Both will be added to my collection.

The news on Fairy Tail Collection 3 is welcoming, will get that on BD eventually.

NormanicGrav said:
I'm surprised. Good Luck Girl is a great show to own so hopefully it does well for Manga. As for Ben-To, they'll have to wait as long as Sankarea on that one.

:S I wasn't aware of the US release being delayed, have they given a reason?

EDIT: Just saw Ben-TO & GLG are BD only, that's interesting. Maybe testing the market there..

Re: Manga at MCM Glasgow.

So pretty much what we already know. Great.
Was hoping they'd finally announce the theatrical runs at least. What the hell is taking so long?

Dannielle said:
NormanicGrav said:

:S I wasn't aware of the US release being delayed, have they given a reason?

Basically what happened was that someone noticed Funimation have used the Broadcast Edit version during their streams (the version just before home release, they always have the uncensored version on there) and after a few reminders about what happened last time (Sankarea), Funimation announced a month before their planned July release that they will delay the show so that it gets released in the proper form (Uncensored just like the Japanese Blu-ray release).

tl;dr Same problem as Sankarea but Funimation stopped it before it was too late.

Manga did say putting out Blu-ray is cheaper for them, so I am not entirely surprised, but I would like them to go back and re-release some stuff in blu like they did with Fairy Tail.

Well, I will probably buy the ltd set of Ben-To from FUNi, was looking at buying GLG last month, so I will probably pick up Manga's next year.

Well, I only buy DVD. I don't own a blu-ray player and don't actually know anyone personally who has one. I don't actually think blu-ray is that popular? I could be wrong but it seems to me most people still tend to go for DVD. If the time does come I would move to blu-ray, but I don't see it happening yet.
I'm not interested in either title though so it doesn't bother me.

PandoraHane said:
Well, I only buy DVD. I don't own a blu-ray player and don't actually know anyone personally who has one. I don't actually think blu-ray is that popular? I could be wrong but it seems to me most people still tend to go for DVD. If the time does come I would move to blu-ray, but I don't see it happening yet.
I'm not interested in either title though so it doesn't bother me.

I'll say Blu-ray started off pretty bad due to the expensive players but now it's much better in terms of pricing and support. Heck if you plan on getting a games console (PS3/PS4/Xbox One) in the future, you're already sorted for the format.

Back