MangaUK license announcements ...

Of course, if anyone hated Manga enough, creating 900 facebook accounts to get the Clannad BD pushed through could be a sure-fire way to bankrupt them...

Gotta agree with MangaUK on this one. If it was a short series I could understand, but Clannad is long (well, when coupled with After Story). Even Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, which had the huge hype from the first series to rely on, couldn't make the numbers work on BD here.

VoxPhantom said:
Of course, if anyone hated Manga enough, creating 900 facebook accounts to get the Clannad BD pushed through could be a sure-fire way to bankrupt them...
Nobody tell Conan... He'd probably do it single-handed.

If they were gonna doing anything like Clannad, they may aswell release K-On in full boxset form on bluray along with the Disapperance of Haruhi Suzumiya before they even consider doing that...

I can see it now...MangaUK Clannad Bluray Kickstarter! Goal £20,000!

One month later:
Backers: 20
Total Pledged: £600
This project reached the deadline without achieving its funding goal.

Last edited by a moderator:
CloudedMinds said:
If they were gonna doing anything like Clannad, they may aswell release K-On in full boxset form on bluray along with the Disapperance of Haruhi Suzumiya before they even consider doing that...
The difference there is, K-ON!'s boxset and the Haruhi blu-ray would have been rereleases, instead of the first release.

ayase said:
VoxPhantom said:
Anyone know 900 people who'd pay £35+ for Clannad BD? :lol:

http://www.facebook.com/mangauk/posts/10151538498555023
I'm sure that together, We could all get 900 people to reply to that post *saying* they would buy Clannad on BD for £35. Whether they would actually cough up when it was released is another matter.

I can see it now, a big internet campaign and Manga announce "We heard you! Over 900 of you asked for it, so here it is, Clannad on BD!" Then they look at the sales figures...

And then Jerome exploded.
Actually, I did hear in one of the anime industry panels at Expo that listening to fans doesn't work, as most won't put the money where their mouths are....

ayase said:
VoxPhantom said:
LOL - is he such a fan of Clannad or would that be just because of his hate for Manga?

CloudedMinds said:
That would depend on how well those shows did, which I would suspect that K-On! might have done quite better than both Clannad or haruhi would have done.

Didn't Jerome say that he was disappointed with the sales of the K-ON! singles? Although he later went on to say that it was probably the singles nature of the release that was to blame (although I'd say the promise of a BD boxset was just as big).

chaos said:
ayase said:
VoxPhantom said:
Anyone know 900 people who'd pay £35+ for Clannad BD? :lol:

http://www.facebook.com/mangauk/posts/10151538498555023
I'm sure that together, We could all get 900 people to reply to that post *saying* they would buy Clannad on BD for £35. Whether they would actually cough up when it was released is another matter.

I can see it now, a big internet campaign and Manga announce "We heard you! Over 900 of you asked for it, so here it is, Clannad on BD!" Then they look at the sales figures...

And then Jerome exploded.
Actually, I did hear in one of the anime industry panels at Expo that listening to fans doesn't work, as most won't put the money where their mouths are....

Well, I literally just did spend £35 on Clannad Blu-Ray (import). £35 is a good price for 25 eps. Shorter series (12 odd eps) should be £25 tops on BD imo.

Joshawott said:
Didn't Jerome say that he was disappointed with the sales of the K-ON! singles? Although he later went on to say that it was probably the singles nature of the release that was to blame (although I'd say the promise of a BD boxset was just as big).

Yes, I talked to him quickly about MangaUK's sales at the Brum Expo, the singles sold badlt but the complete collection should at least sell well, it all depends on if the fans actually buy it.

They have been pushing and advertising it a lot on twitter atm, so I would imagine if it sells well, then Sentai might allow them to release season 2.

I had a feeling they didn't sell very well, as the complete collection is £30, which is higher than their average 12-14 episode set. Although it should have been simple marketing to know that when you advertise a product, do not say "By the way, a better quality, better value for money edition will be released after these single releases".

The fact they also haven't even decided on if they want season 2, when its American release is in a couple of months...means I'll probably be importing that.

I've noticed that they're REALLY pushing Dragonball Z as well. I guess Toei must expect it to sell by the bucket load.

I would have thought a higher RRP for a K-On! set would have made sense normally, both because it doesn't make the handful of people who bought the singles feel as bad about supporting Manga UK, and because it should be seen as a niche series. The fact that it's astronomically popular in Japan and an expensive licence surely won't convince the public at large to switch gears from the action shows packed with robots, ninja and fanservice, which Manga usually prefers to sell, to a silly, relaxing series about some ditzy schoolgirls occasionally playing some music.

Messing around while Sentai is promoting season 2 with its blu-ray version (it can already be ordered and paid for!) is not a great move. But it's easier to bitterly complain about importers rather than change the way things are done.

R

Rui said:
Messing around while Sentai is promoting season 2 with its blu-ray version (it can already be ordered and paid for!) is not a great move. But it's easier to bitterly complain about importers rather than change the way things are done.

R

I preordered the Season 2 Part 1 blu-ray even though I have yet to see Season 1 (where is that Season 1 blu-ray boxset :evil: ).

mangaman74 said:
I preordered the Season 2 Part 1 blu-ray even though I have yet to see Season 1 (where is that Season 1 blu-ray boxset :evil: ).

I just bought the R1 DVD boxset for season 1, though I am on the fence for season 2 until some reviews appear (I don't really care for the series much, but I'll keep buying it and want to hear whether Sentai's will have similar issues with song replacements and audio before deciding how much I will spend). It's a shame Bandai haven't bundled up the singles on blu as well as you say.

R

Rui said:
mangaman74 said:

I just bought the R1 DVD boxset for season 1, though I am on the fence for season 2 until some reviews appear (I don't really care for the series much, but I'll keep buying it and want to hear whether Sentai's will have similar issues with song replacements and audio before deciding how much I will spend). It's a shame Bandai haven't bundled up the singles on blu as well as you say.

R

Forgot about the sound/song issues with season 1. Might cancel my order and wait for reviews like you (it would have only have sat in my backlog pile until I get season 1 anyway).

I intend to buy the k-on set but can't get it until June. No money.

Well I could, but if I don't go to Blackpool to visit my friend next week I think she may just kill me.

So no anime for me til June. Which is a shame because there are a few things I really want. Ah well I have a birthday in 2 months. *makes list*

Not sure if i'm getting DBZ yet. I want to support Manga but i'm not sure if I liked it enough back when it was on tv. I have the first box on american so if I do decide to buy it, it will be from box 2 onwards.

megagold5 said:
Well, I literally just did spend £35 on Clannad Blu-Ray (import). £35 is a good price for 25 eps. Shorter series (12 odd eps) should be £25 tops on BD imo.
Well, this changes from person to person. I actually spent 70 quid on each season of Arakawa Under the bridge Premium editions, which is 12 eps and comes with a nice art book, but them again, that's just me.

I'd pay 35 / 40 for K-On!, but not sure I'd pay 35 for Clannad, as I'm not sure if I'd like it or not....

chaos said:
megagold5 said:
Well, this changes from person to person. I actually spent 70 quid on each season of Arakawa Under the bridge Premium editions, which is 12 eps and comes with a nice art book, but them again, that's just me.

I'd pay 35 / 40 for K-On!, but not sure I'd pay 35 for Clannad, as I'm not sure if I'd like it or not....

Where did you buy them? UP1 have they for £43.71 plus £3.00 shipping each.

chaos said:
ayase said:
VoxPhantom said:
LOL - is he such a fan of Clannad or would that be just because of his hate for Manga?
Hate of incompetence, get something right.

Back