MCM Manchester '15 x Otakon '15 News Thread

britguy said:
Buzz201 said:
According to FUNimation's website, licensing for AssClass is being specifically handled by ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM Committee, instead of a single company, and there's no major corporation like Aniplex or Bandai Visual involved in the show's production, so I'd be surprised if Andrew had any connections within those companies.

But Jerome does?

Sorry, I revised that slightly whilst you responded, perhaps Jerome knows because FUNimation tried for English-language rights and couldn't get the British Isles, inferring from that that somebody else has them, rather than because anyone in Japan told him as such.

Anyway, what's to say Andrew wasn't being vague deliberately and 101 Films/MVM has them or maybe somebody new...

Ah Ok, I see where you're coming from, especially as Anime Limited don't seem to do much with Funimation, so maybe that's where it's coming from.

MCM MANCHESTER: MANGA UK/ANIMATSU (SUMMARY)

New licenses (KAZE):
Coppelion
- DVD only
- Complete series set on DVD with Eng Dub and Jap Audio. Set in November 2nd.

Magi: The Kingdom of Magic
- Blu-ray and DVD.
- Two parts with Eng Dub and Jap Audio before the end of 2015. Dates TBA

World Conquest Zvezda Plot
- DVD only
- Complete series set on DVD with Jap Audio. Set in November 2nd.

New licenses (Manga Entertainment UK):
Danganronpa the Animation
- Blu-ray and DVD.
- Complete series with Eng Dub and Jap Audio. Set in November 9th.

Naruto Shippuden Movie 6: Road to Ninja
- Blu-ray and DVD.
- Standalone Blu-ray confirmed.
- Film with Eng Dub and Jap Audio. Set in October 12th.

Naruto Shippuden Movie 7: The Last
- Blu-ray and DVD.
- Standalone Blu-ray confirmed.
- Film with Eng Dub and Jap Audio. Dates TBA

Noragami
- Blu-ray and DVD.
- Complete series with Eng Dub and Jap Audio. Dates TBA (Amazon release date not final)

New licenses (Animatsu: Anime):
Bakumatsu Rock
- Blu-ray and DVD.
- Subtitle only
- Complete series with Jap Audio. Set in October 19th.

Beyond the Boundary
- Blu-ray and DVD.
- Complete series with Eng Dub and Jap Audio. Date TBA 2015.

New licenses (Animatsu: Live-action):
Garm Wars: The Last Druid
- Formats TBC
- Film set for Q4 2015

Kisejuu: Part 1
- Blu-ray and DVD.
- Film set for early November.

Shingeki no Kyojin: Part 1
- Formats TBC
- Theatrical screening set for October for a lot of screens.
- Home video set for early 2016.

Extra notes:
- Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F will receive a theatrical screening across multiple screens in September.
- Naruto Shippuden Movie 5: Blood Prison will receive a standalone Blu-ray release on December 21st.

Interested in a grand total of 0 licenses from Khazanimanga.
It's the complete opposite for Anime Limited though. Glad that Andrew finally scheduled a release for in Gundam considering the Sunrise partnership came up in conversation at London MCM. I'll be happily throwing myself into the franchise considering I've only seen Gundam the Origin 1 so far. Ping Pong is a title I was interested in Importing from Funimation, but I'll just wait for the local release now. Confirmation of BBB is also pretty great since it's easily my favorite title from this year so far.

Overall I'm interested in picking up Gundam, Ping Pong, Fuse, Momo and Gankutsuou from AL at the very least.

Buzz201 said:
It did seem weird that Anime Limited got Sword Art Online II, only a few weeks after Andrew said he didn't want to jump on anybody's else licence on the Anime Ltd. podcast.
The reason AL has SAO II isn't due to Aniplex not willing to work with Manga - at least as far as I'm aware. I don't believe it's my place to say anything other than that though.

Mangaranga said:
Buzz201 said:
It did seem weird that Anime Limited got Sword Art Online II, only a few weeks after Andrew said he didn't want to jump on anybody's else licence on the Anime Ltd. podcast.
The reason AL has SAO II isn't due to Aniplex not willing to work with Manga - at least as far as I'm aware. I don't believe it's my place to say anything other than that though.

You probably can't say, but on the basis it was announced alongside three other Aniplex titles, would it be fair to assume some kind of package deal took place?

About time with some Resurrection F news! :) interestingly they said the Blu-ray is out later in the year. Japan are releasing it in October, doesn't this seem too soon?

Great to hear about Gundam 0079. Heres hoping they can release it with episode 15, though since they said 43 episodes instead of 42, it does leave me more hopeful. I really hope it does well enough so Zeta, Double Zeta and Char's Counterattack can get blu rays in the UK.

Buzz201 said:
NormanicGrav said:
- Animatsu Entertainment see themselves as a "conduit" for releasing shows from TBS in the UK.

What a bizarre statement to make, given Anime Limited has two TBS shows this season...

If this is some kind of official partnership, it's either very new or not very good.
Sentai seem to have a relationship with TBS in the US, but I don't know that those include the UK.
Half of the TBS shows on Crunchyroll were streamed by Kaze over here, however none of those have been released by them.
Chu2koi and Kyoukai no Kanata are on Animatsu's slate.
MVM has Zurückspulen and Photokano, and also Outbreak Company, IS2 Re-Kan.

Non-simulcast shows from TBS seem to be a general mix of Manga and MVM too.

Buzz201 said:
According to FUNimation's website, licensing for AssClass is being specifically handled by ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM Committee, instead of a single company, and there's no major corporation like Aniplex or Bandai Visual involved in the show's production, so I'd be surprised if Andrew had any connections within those companies.
Copyright lines often don't make it clear who the licensor is - take a look down http://www.funimation.com/copyrights
In the case of Assassination Classroom, it is FCC.

I'm slightly more disappointed than I expected to be that there still hasn't been an announcement of a Nichijou Blu-ray release (on the other hand, at least it didn't turn out to be something Kaze had, wouldn't be so keen on Manga having it either).

NormanicGrav said:
OTAKON: VERTICAL
- Nichijou has been wanted for a long time but Bandai held up the rights
I did find this interesting though, maybe there's some hope?

There were a few things announced that I'd be interested in, mostly things from Anime Limited. I'm not sure anything quite qualifies as being "essential" for me, although there are a few shows that I still need to look into a bit more so that might change.

Shiroi Hane said:
Buzz201 said:
Copyright lines often don't make it clear who the licensor is - take a look down http://www.funimation.com/copyrights
In the case of Assassination Classroom, it is FCC.

That's weird, the copyright listing on the Psycho-Pass blu-ray reads "PSYCHO-PASS COMMITTEE LICENSED BY FUJI TV THROUGH FCC TO FUNIMATION PRODUCTIONS LTD.", I made the mistake of assuming if Fuji/FCC had the rights they'd use a similar listing on FUNi's website, which they don't.

This might very well mean Anime Ltd. has AssClass, because they also handled Terror in Resonance, so some kind of relationship between the two exists.

WELL, NOW.

The biggest news out of this for me is undoubtedly Gundam. But then, you all knew that anyway!

Sounds like Anime Limited have something similar to the RightStuf! deal going on Stateside.

My thoughts:

Interesting that G-Reco is the newer show of the two confirmed. That's a move I'm grateful for as a fan, and I'll snap it up like a hungry hippo.
The fact that there's no mention of Turn A, as was quite heavily hinted at before, is interesting too. But not disheartening. Sounds like were getting more Gundam announcements soon. Sunrise wanting to release as much Gundam as possible in the West is absolutely joyous news!

I really hope this works out well for Anime Limited. My biggest concern is that some folks who've never checked out the original series might be underwhelmed by the dated animation. Which would be a shame, as the show is still damned spiffy.

HdE said:
WELL, NOW.

The biggest news out of this for me is undoubtedly Gundam. But then, you all knew that anyway!

Sounds like Anime Limited have something similar to the RightStuf! deal going on Stateside.

My thoughts:

Interesting that G-Reco is the newer show of the two confirmed. That's a move I'm grateful for as a fan, and I'll snap it up like a hungry hippo.
The fact that there's no mention of Turn A, as was quite heavily hinted at before, is interesting too. But not disheartening. Sounds like were getting more Gundam announcements soon. Sunrise wanting to release as much Gundam as possible in the West is absolutely joyous news!

I really hope this works out well for Anime Limited. My biggest concern is that some folks who've never checked out the original series might be underwhelmed by the dated animation. Which would be a shame, as the show is still damned spiffy.

Don't worry dude, I'll be picking it up, I pretty much support any big classics that come out in the Western world, even if I have to import them from the states.

For me, while the animation is certainly dated, I still think the character designs look charming and that some of the big battles later on in the show still feel very engrossing even after 30 years. I hope it does well so that Zeta, Double Zeta, Char's Counterattack and F91 can get a blu ray release.

I wonder if AOT movie will just go to the art house cinemas (like the ones that aired GITS on the 25th anniversary) or if it will be in general cinemas. I can see it being a right laugh with my friends if it comes out in my local cinema.

OTAKON: KODANSHA COMICS

New licenses:
Leiji Matsumoto's Queen Emeraldas
- Kodansha will publish the series in two large-format hardcover volumes.
- Each volume will include more than 400 pages.
- Kodansha Comics plans to release the first volume in July 2016, marking the first time the manga is being published in English.

Yui Sakuma's Complex Age
- Kodansha Comics will publish the series in special large-format paperback books starting in June 2016.

Nao Emoto's Forget Me Not (Soredemo Boku wa Kimi ga Suki)
- Adaptation of the novel of the same name.
- Kodansha Comics will release the first volume in English in March 2016.

Interested in a grand total of zero of these announcements from anyone really, buts that's fine and to be expected. I'm a massive mecha guy, but have zero interest in Gundam.

LtDiscotek said:
For me, while the animation is certainly dated, I still think the character designs look charming and that some of the big battles later on in the show still feel very engrossing even after 30 years. I hope it does well so that Zeta, Double Zeta, Char's Counterattack and F91 can get a blu ray release.

See, THIS is what I'm talking about.

There was a pretty funny post over on ANN where somebody greeted news of MSG on Blu Ray with a static shot of the show's visual at their worst and a caption reading 'IN GLORIOUS 1080p!' - and I'll admit, as big a fan as I am, I laughed my socks off.

But the thing is, MSG is a classic for good reason. And as you watch it, the show does indeed draw you in. The part that's most important, though, is that without that show, there's no logical progression to Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, or even G-Reco.

I REALLY hope the franchise gains some solid purchase over here. It certainly deserves it.

HdE said:
Quoted back because I have no words.
Contrary to popular belief, mecha exist outside of Gundam lol and I'm a massive fan of the genre. Macross, Big O, Giant Gorg, Tetsujin 28-gou, Giant Robo, Ideon, VOTOMS etc etc :p Never cared for Gundam at all.

Back