More Studio Ghibli movies on Film4 in August

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
The following Studio (Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away) Ghibli movies <a href="http://www.nausicaa.net/wiki/Latest_News#Latest_Crop_of_Film4_Showings">be airing</a> on Film4 during August.

<ul>
<li>Sat., 09/08/08 at 3:20pm: The Cat Returns</li>
<li>Tues., 12/08/08 at 3:05pm: The Cat Returns</li>
<li>Wed., 13/08/08 at 2:50pm: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind</li>
</ul>

The Cat Returns is good if you've seen Whisper of The Heart. While not a true sequel, it reuses some characters and ideas.

nausicaa is brilliant! the cat returns is good, but not my favourite ghibli. They shouls show some Kon's stuff, or maybe even appleseed, as it's a john woo's...

Kireek said:
melonpan said:
More anime on TV is always a good thing for exposure... Now if they'd only take it a bit further.

By giving people end of evangelion and making them watch that
Without the series that would likely lead to more people *not* liking anime.

BlackWolf said:
ayase said:
Kireek said:
melonpan said:
More anime on TV is always a good thing for exposure... Now if they'd only take it a bit further.

Without the series that would likely lead to more people *not* liking anime.

and in some cases even watching the series it could still put people off :p

True, though it was the first mech show I ever watched, and I still enjoyed it. I don't know whether watching things like Gundam and Patlabor have made my opinion of Eva better or worse.

like I said, appleseed ex machina would do nicely I think :) some Satoshi Kon's would do nicely for the arty people as well.

Kireek said:

I think Evangelion would be a great way to introduce substantial anime onto mainstream UK TV. I reckon a marketing blitz by Channel 4 (like what they do with Big Brother), emphasising the controversial and adult aspects of the series, and a good airing time (9PM on a Thursday or Wednesday) would be great for anime in the UK :]

CitizenGeek said:
Kireek said:

I think Evangelion would be a great way to introduce substantial anime onto mainstream UK TV. I reckon a marketing blitz by Channel 4 (like what they do with Big Brother), emphasising the controversial and adult aspects of the series, and a good airing time (9PM on a Thursday or Wednesday) would be great for anime in the UK :]

As much as I enjoy Eva, I don't thinks it's a good first anime. The most controversial thing about it was that a lot of people (even in Japan) thought the end was crap the first time they watched it. If we were to start showing anime on digital terrestrial in the UK the best thing to start with would be SAC, Death Note, Bebop or something else with mass appeal to current audiences. Once you've built up a regular audience it's easier to take a chance with something like Eva.

ayase said:
If we were to start showing anime on digital terrestrial in the UK the best thing to start with would be SAC, Death Note, Bebop or something else with mass appeal to current audiences.
I think SAC would be a good starting point. Its got the appeal for adults with a complex storyline and none of the stereotypical anime features like ridiculous over the top expressions.
Plus high quality animation and substantial high regard with anime fans. Even if it takes a while to get going with regular viewers i think it'd get some good ratings from anime fans. I know i'd tune in to watch it again.

Oh and its got a top notch dub!

Still, I don't even think something like GitS or Bebop, both oddly enough still airing on AC could have what it takes to get an audience, without them being fans first-hand. Something along the lines of Death Note with a on-going story and a mass appeal would work better I think. I say it needs a on-going story to differentiate from some other adult cartoons, and mix itself with some of the hour length TV-Dramas.

Death Note put into hour blocks would be awesome. I don't see any of this happening, in the near future, anyway.

GiTS is too complex. Hard to get on the first time if you're sharp, if you're a regular viewer, it will take a few sittings and if you're not a fan in the first place you would just drop it.

Bebop would do great, I think, if they didn't have Eddy. It's an awesome character, but she adds too much randomness to the series and your regular viewer don't like much randomness out of a comedy show.
That's my two p's...

Back