Most annoying shopping moments.

Er, I guess it would be the recent case in which Second Spin marked the customs form of a package with the pre-discount value, meaning I was charged Customs and Post Office fees that I shouldn't have been. HMCE received my appeal three weeks ago and still haven't replied, which has done little to quell my seething rage.

Apart from that, I've done all right. I should count myself fortunate.

I had that with CD-WOW once. I bought a LOTR EE set for £18.99 but with one of their one pound off vouchers. The package still got hit for customs.

One appeal later, and the Post Office refunded the duty, but they kept the administration charge! Took over a month for them to decide how much to rip me off by.

Yeah.. for the sake of being around 50p over £18 on one order from CDJapan I was hit for charges of multiple times that. I'd thought I was safe as the order was under the limit, but forgot that was including my "birthday" gift voucher from them, which doesn't count.

Getting hit for customs on orders really close to the limit drives me mad, so now whenever I think there's a risk I always order a huge amount to make it feel less depressing.

My most annoying shopping incident was a long time ago, buying something or other from DigitalEyes (which used to be owned by different people). They charged me for some rare stuff I had ordered in USD via Paypal and allegedly shipped my items, but nothing ever arrived. It took absolutely ages to get my money back and I had to open a lengthy Paypal dispute as they completely ignored me, and when I did receive my refund the exchange rate had changed so much I lost out quite badly. To make matters worse, by that time the items I'd ordered had gone up in price everywhere else and become quite rare.

Then a few months later I received spam from various companies to the unique e-mail address I had used with DigitalEyes, and I ended up so exasperated that for a long time I redirected that entire account back to their customer service address until my wrath subsided.

My husband recently had an accident with HLJ, and accidentally failed to cancel an order properly when he redid it elsewhere. Somehow his Paypal account was set up to automatically be deductable (mine is still set to require manual payment for each order) so the first time he knew of his mistake was upon receiving the shipping notice. We're waiting for the ransom note from the postal services any day now...

R

Oh, another one: after constantly hearing glowing reviews of DVD Pacific I placed a single order there. Shortly after I got an email saying something about my password having been reset for security reasons - since I was about to go on holiday and wasn't about to place any orders I didn't pay it much attention.
After having a few hundred pounds taken out of my bank account via Russia I read the whole of the email and found out that they'd been hacked and had bank details stolen. Never used them again.

fwiw, DVD Pacific is under totally new ownership now, just retaining the name for brand recognition (ironically, I guess, in your case). Their prices are still arguably the best around, the service is a little more "formal" (their customer service team was excellent when I used to use them regularly, seemed well "aware" of individual customers), and they don't store any of your details any more, so perhaps worth a look again if you are ever importing any R1s.

With regards to customs charges, a while back I ordered some SACDs for my brother. It got hit with customs which was expected but the amount seemed a bit high.

Upon checking with FedEx it turned out that they had put the wrong amount as the value of the order due to a confusing invoice (to them at any rate). They took the goods value (which was really the total amount) then added the shipping charge (which was really the good value).

Several phone calls later and I was refunded part of the customs charge.

Not as bad as my older brother receiving a note from the post office that a birthday card sent to him didn't have the full postage paid: 10p missing, so he had to pay £1.10 to get it.

And it was his birthday! Not a lot of money, but bloody petty.

i ordered master of material hearts waited two weeks for it and they said it could of gotten lost in the mail so they refunded me and sent me a new one. it was a twist anime

Back