Must See Films on BBC 4

Genkina Hito

映画男!!!
Okay chaps, I'm here to offer a public service announcement on behalf of good films...

BBC 4 are screening some of the best films to come out of Europe recently (and one Chinese film).

Yesterday: Tell No One *****
Tonight: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly 22:15 *****
Thursday: Shanghai Dreams 10:00 ***
Saturday: 36 10:00 ****
Sunday: The Counterfeiters 10:00- Haven't watched it :oops: but the critics loved it.

Now these films should all be on BBC iPlayer as well so you have no excuse to miss them. The French films are especially brilliant and I highly recommend them.

cercia said:
Thx!!

I love BBC stuff, don't forget that Mock the Week is always a good laugh! I can't get enough of it on Iplayer.

XXY (which was on last night) was a good film. Here's the blurb:

Drama about a teenage hermaphrodite. Alex lives with her parents, whose reaction to her indeterminate gender has been to exile the family to a small island community in Uruguay. As she comes of age, her parents feel it is time for them to decide if she is to be a woman or a man. Her mother invites some old friends from Argentina to visit for the weekend, one of whom happens to be a surgeon. They also bring their teenage son, who knows nothing of Alex's story but is intrigued by this tomboy.

I found it hypnotic. It stars Ricardo Darin who's a really good actor and it's Argentinian (how the hell does a country poorer than Britain and in constant financial/political trouble, produce so many great films?).

The Wave is this Sunday.

If you love BBC stuff then watch some of the films they helped co-produce - all on IPlayer:

Eastern Promises - *****
The Damned United - It's about football, I thought the World Cup was over
Is Anyone There? - ****

Oh yeah... The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - 10/10. That film ALWAYS gets me. If you haven't seen it, watch it then watch this montage video and you'll be in tears again.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tuL5wq8_WrQ&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tuL5wq8_WrQ&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Belleville Rendez-Vous is on tonight at 10:30.

It's Tour de France time plus Sylvain Chomet has a new film out this August so I guess it's time to wheel out any and all tie-in content that channels have related to the chap and event. Except this animated film is one of the quirkiest (in a good way) and warm hearted animations ever created.

The central characters are charming and it features astonishing scenes such as Madame Souza's (best grandmother ever) journey across the Atlantic set against a Mozart opera.

chaos said:
The diving bell bored me to death....

The chap did lose the use of his body. The claustrophobia was pretty unnerving but I have to say overall I found it life-affirming and incredibly beautiful as well as being elegantly told.

Anyway the BBC have done a sterling job with films recently.

Claude Chabrol died last month. The chap is considered a legend it's gratifying to see that BBC Four are screening a film at 22:30 Le Boucher. I've not watched it so it'll be an adventure to say the least..

I totally forgot about the BBC FOUR WORLD CINEMA AWARDS!!!! Tonight from 9.00 followed by an interview with Bernardo Bertolucci.

The shortlist includes:

The White Ribbon
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Let the Right One In
I Am Love
A Prophet
Waltz with Bashir

I've seen four of these in the cinema and I absolutely think A Prophet should have won but there you go.

I like how the awards show is on today but the ceremony was on Thursday. The winner was listed on Ceefax on Friday.

I can't see why they cannot broadcast the show on the same day like the Mercury Music awards.

Yeah, when I checked the website they had already announced the winner.

Good ceremony although I wasn't too taken with Jonathan's facial hair.

I haven't seen White Ribbon... All I can say is that the lead actress is foxy.

Bernardo Bertolucci was quite a charming chap when he accepted his World Cinema Achievement Award . He also reminded everybody that BBC Four is the only channel to really do an award like this and the only channel to regularly screen foreign films.

Last years winner of the Lifetime Achievement Award was Werner Herzog and he's come up with two brilliant films since then.

Oh yeah, The Sheltering Sky is on tonight at 22:30. It stars John Malkovich. Haven't seen it but it looks depressing.

With Halloween fast approaching and the final episode of A History of Horror being screened on Monday, Halloween week has some landmark films on BBC Four like Witchfinder General, the original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead and Halloween!

More films:

OSS 117: Cairo Nest of Spies - Tame French comedy (iPlayer).
The Edge of Heaven - Haven't watched it but BBC Four has just started a season on Germany and this film is part of it (I guess).
Tomorrow at 22:30: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly *****
Sunday at 22:30: The Chaser - Pretty grim South Korean thriller ***

Haven't updated this in a while and I don't feel like writing much... Both entries are on iPlayer and are good so watch them...

The French film Le Dinner de Cons is still on iPlayer. The 2010 US film Dinner for Schmucks was based on it and you can guess which version was better.

Anyway, Le Dinner de Cons is bloody brilliant - saw it years ago. ****

Iron Maiden: Flight 666. Pretty good. ****

Back