UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

Good to see some more classic titles finally come to blu ray over here, I am also surprised that MVM were able to get these since all of them are under the grip of Crunchy/Funi in the states. They have been getting titles like Rosario + Vampire so maybe they still have the licences from the DVDs or maybe the UK Branch didn't want them. Regardless its always good to see more titles come out. I did wish at one point that Manga might go back and rescue some of there older titles but there is no chance in that happening now.

ISTR that MVM dealt directly with Gonzo when it came to the DVD releases, so maybe that deal is still extant. That allows them to use Funi's assets.

Ooo, nice if they all get CE releases, I'll def double-dip on any CEs. I've got the Funimation Anime Classics releases for Burst Angel and Witchblade, and the standard fatpack set for Samurai 7. I don't think I own Trinity Blood at all. But yes, do please give me some nice chipboard boxes!

MVM only really do CE if the US or AUS release had a CE. And I don't think any of those releases had a BD CE. I know Trinity Blood did with the individual dvds as I have the set but it was just a bog standard release for the BD.

Personally I don't really mind if there is a CE, I would just like to own these shows in HD assuming the transfers are good by upscale standards - I actually have the slightly fancy set of Samurai 7 from the US by Funimation. from many years ago, that has a digipack and all the pamphlets included so I might hold onto that anyway as I am uncertain as to whether they would or could include those in this release (I'm assuming if they did they'd all be in one single book/booklet) :)

MVM only really do CE if the US or AUS release had a CE. And I don't think any of those releases had a BD CE. I know Trinity Blood did with the individual dvds as I have the set but it was just a bog standard release for the BD.

But they said right in their tweet:

We'll be re-releasing Burst Angel, Samurai 7, Trinity Blood & Witchblade later this year on Blu-Ray - with possible CE releases for all!

I will only double dip for these UK sets if they are CE releases. I just wish MVM did digipaks instead of Amaray cases in their CEs. Digipaks would be an insta-buy for me!

Could be Funiroll are about to announce some new CE... 🤷‍♂️
double, triple, quadruple dipping is their forte.

Let's see then -
BURST ANGEL - Fanservice show with mechas that forgets its main male character half way through and leaves in a cool looking cliffhanger that I wish had continued
WITCHBLADE - Main character Masane is somewhat ditzy, is nicknamed "Melanie", adopted daughter Ryoko can cook better than Soma Yukihira but hates her real mother for some reason... oh and there's half naked demon girls!
SAMURAI 7 - Clunky CGI Nobuseri, but cool characters especially the robot samurai!
TRINITY BLOOD - Main character Abel Nightroad behaves like Vash the Stampede but is badass when he goes "KROOOS NICK!!!", Terminator looking guy but with Piccolo's voice and Esther Blanchette comes off as a damsel in distress a lot of the time! Even Princess Peach did more than her!

d8y2f61-80a67674-4d35-4038-ba97-335757a92573.png

ISTR that MVM dealt directly with Gonzo when it came to the DVD releases, so maybe that deal is still extant. That allows them to use Funi's assets.
Yeah, it makes sense for them to be from Gonzo since Funi only really had US/CA rights, despite more and more Gonzo titles being made available for UK streaming as of late (like Gantz).

CEs is neat, since MVM can pretty much grab whatever assets they likely have available from their DVD rigid box sets a decade ago.

That's not always the case, considering that Paranoia Agent and Haibane Renmei didn't have CEs in the US (the former had a steelbook, while the latter was a standard edition only release), and neither title has any Blu-ray release in Australia (the DVD releases are out of print).

Speed Grapher is a series I need to see - I picked up the Funimation DVD digipack boxset 2 years ago, but haven't watched it yet.

speedgrapher3.jpg

Last edited:
mvm on facebook answered a question on their announcement to the 4 re-releases someone asked about gungrave and mvm said "anything is possible. it's something we'll certainly look into" i dont know how or if you can share facebook posts

mvm on facebook answered a question on their announcement to the 4 re-releases someone asked about gungrave and mvm said "anything is possible. it's something we'll certainly look into" i dont know how or if you can share facebook posts

Gungrave was shockingly good. It's like "lol here's an anime based on a game, I guess - oh also, it kinda looks like sh!.t"

except tears were shed

I would day 1 with extreme prejudice

Back