MVM to release FLCL on UK DVD, and possibly Haruhi too?

CitizenGeek said:
BlackWolf said:
Well this is news i wasn't expecting, a good move by mvm though i'm wondering why FLCL took a while to get here. As for Haruhi, i doubt it will ever happen but i really hope, that mvm release the same set that R1 got.

Well, I can't see how they won't release the sets that R1 got - it would certainly be a bad move!

I'd buy it as a boxset, however I don't like the idea of having multiple DVDs kicking about just for 6 episodes.

Outlawstar said:
Nice, actually my local Tower Records have the box of FLCL for sale, must be an import, they actually get a LOT of DVDs before their Uk release, its great.
I saw Big O there the other day.

Most of Towers box sets are Australian Madman R4 imports. I used to get them when something good came up e.g Berserk for €60, but now they have doubled all the prices of their R4's for no apparent reason. They say the price increase is because of their suppliers, but a 100% mark up even with additional costs due to a change in supplier is highly unlikely and excessive.

Anyway, I already picked up the R4 set mentioned above and as for Haruhi, if it gets a good treatment, i.e a S.E or mail off for the series in broadcast order like Bandai and Madman have done I'll pick them up.

2008 really ought to be the year for Gainax in the UK! I want to see Rebuild of Evangelion (complete with an awesome dub) on DVD from ADV, a Gunbuster set, Diebuster, Gurren Lagann and Wings of Honneamise on DVD by the years end! ^_^

J_C_X said:
I'd buy it as a boxset, however I don't like the idea of having multiple DVDs kicking about just for 6 episodes.

I was talking about Haruhi not FLCL :p

It seems any DVDs I import from America get released to DVD soon after :|

Well anyway, it won't stop me from importing unless they licence Haré & Guu, then I will become suspicious that they are tracking my movements. :twisted:

so, I take it Madman got FLCL an' Haruhi lately?

This is straw clutching at it's finest, ladies, the Genon gravytrain's run out of stream so they're only now trying to appeal to what's left before they're put on the one way train to Gonzo Shanty town.

i've wanted to see FLCL for ages now, but never really thought about importing it, i guess this is a good chance for me to see it now. As for Haruhi i've already got it from the states and its is a great show. I myself still don't get "haruhism" entirely but to me its your haruhi fan gone too OTT. The anime is only ok compared to the novels.

Haruhism: Anything that builds hype around anime is good. Anime needs all the hyper/exposure it can get, and I'm positive that the whole Haruhi hype was very good for the industry.

MVM Releases: I'm pretty sure they'll be more or less exactly the same as the Madman releases. Not to put a downer on things, but I highly doubt that MVM would put out neither the FLCL boxset, nor the Haruhi box, and I'd be surprised if MVM did a broadcast order mail-off slip thing.
You can always hope though! They really surprised me with the Samurai Champloo box with the bandana.

Zen 2nd said:
It seems any DVDs I import from America get released to DVD soon after :|

Well anyway, it won't stop me from importing unless they licence Haré & Guu, then I will become suspicious that they are tracking my movements. :twisted:

If this is true... then maybe you should start ordering box sets from america that other people like so we get the chance to buy it from over here :p

Conan-san said:

This is straw clutching at it's finest, ladies, the Genon gravytrain's run out of stream so they're only now trying to appeal to what's left before they're put on the one way train to Gonzo Shanty town.
Don't MVM and Madman have a mutual partnership when they share titles and split the DVD production costs down the middle?

The Gonzo grabbing is lame, but MVM aren't the only ones to do it... *pokes ADV*

I'm betting on Beez having Haruhi anyway as nothing's been confirmed regarding the UK distributor at this point. :p

Ushio said:
Conan-san said:

Don't MVM and Madman have a mutual partnership when they share titles and split the DVD production costs down the middle?

I think that rings a bell. A lot of UK anime distributors use Madman, I've noticed that in many releases, such as the Studio Ghibli Collection. Madman seem to own the Australian anime market entirely - they have releases from Viz, Manga, Funimation, ADV, Bandai and Geneon.

Conan-san said:

Out of all the needless whingeing that seems to make up the entirety of your post count, this comment has to be the most idiotic. Are you actually capable of posting ANYTHING that isn't childish negativity? These are two popular shows that stand as good a chance as any of doing well; the popularity no doubt upped the asking price of the licences, which is the most likely reason why they've taken this long.

Sorry guys, but Conan's annoyed me for months with those stupid, inflammatory remarks on every goddamn news thread.

Ushio said:
Conan-san said:

It's something like that. Madman author all MVM releases, then split the costs. They've worked with other studios too, including Manga and ADV. They also have an ongoing relationship with Optimum which led to Optimum's Ghibli releases.

That of course, limits MVM to licensing shows that Madman also have (which to be fair is pretty much anything released in R4).

Conan: What is your problem with MVM? Everytime they're mentioned you make some negative comment about them and any anybody related to them before complaining about how crap their releases/titles are. Why do you hate them so much?

If licensing Haruhi (assuming they have it) and FLCL is 'clutching at straws,' then I'm sure the likes of ADV would like to be in their position. They are two of the most popular titles not yet to receive a UK release.

Noratav said:
It's something like that. Madman author all MVM releases, then split the costs. They've worked with other studios too, including Manga and ADV. They also have an ongoing relationship with Optimum which led to Optimum's Ghibli releases.

That of course, limits MVM to licensing shows that Madman also have (which to be fair is pretty much anything released in R4).
That is broadly true although there are a couple of exceptions. They certainly prefer Madman to have issued a release so as to not have to create a PAL version from scratch but they have produced a small proportion of DVDs without Madman authoring (I think Adventures of Mini Goddesses was one but I am not positive). As far as goes, Madman have about 99% of the Australian anime market so it makes a lot of economic sense for UK companies and Madman to split the costs of PAL mastering for the two markets, which is why many titles appearing here are authored by Madman.

Gawyn said:
Madman have about 99% of the Australian anime market
Apparently they have 97%. I'm quite envious of that company, They have a lot of stuff going on and they seem to do everything about everything. It would be pure awesome if anime started off like that over here. Also, has anyone got this latest issue, I would love to see a scan of the Haruhi advert. ;D

I'm sure if the UK market was like the Australian one, it'd be more successful.

I'm pretty sure that there's a better business model out there, that'd prove more successful for R1, and with Geneon going down and a lot of other companies having to adapt to the changing market at quite a pace, surely it makes sense to at least try and make a main producing company, and get a company like Kadokawa to license everything and then let this main company produce the series.

I've mentioned that before, and it does seem like a longshot, but maybe if a few more of the major R1 producers find themselves in the same situation as Geneon, they might just have to do this.

What would I know though?

There seems to be a lot of secretive goings-on in the whole industry in R1 at least.
I read the ex-editor for ANN saying he'd said some things he shouldn't have done, hence getting demoted.
There are a lot of things that we'll probably never find out.
Is that really necessary though?
I know the reason that businesses don't share information is because they don't want to give their competition information that could make them lose business, but in such a volatile market can they really afford to have competition in general? And as much of the market (that is having problems) is fan-driven, isn't that more reason to let the fans know what's going on in the market?
I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be yes, but it seems that's just because a company has no obligation to tell its customers about what's going on in the industry...

I, too, would love to see the Haruhi advert!

melonpan said:

But Australia and the UK are completely different. The UK's population exceeds 60 million, while Australia has just 20 million. Furthermore, Australia is about 20 times the size of the UK ... so I don't really understand that point at all.

melonpan said:

I have to agree, if I had a 97% share of the market personally I'd find my life made much easier! Suddenly any license under the sun would be possible - with a market who would for the majority who didn't import be buying your goods!

One company making the profits is a successful model, but only because you have complete market supremacy though (that being said to do that as well as sustain an audience willing to buy you need to be good!)...

melonpan said:
I know the reason that businesses don't share information is because they don't want to give their competition information that could make them lose business, but in such a volatile market can they really afford to have competition in general? And as much of the market (that is having problems) is fan-driven, isn't that more reason to let the fans know what's going on in the market?

I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be yes, but it seems that's just because a company has no obligation to tell its customers about what's going on in the industry...

As a big proponent of transparency for how the market works (if you've been to any Beez panels at Amecon or the like you'll see I go into detail on these things there) I have to say my personal answer is yes, but within reason.

It's true, the industry is going through a shakedown at present - but revealing gossip or stories of woe inside the industry doesn't help anyone! Apart from bringing every doomsday industry theorist out, it can also have a negative effect elsewhere such as your relationship with licensor's.
When that starts happening, trouble++ usually follows! If that makes sense anyway!

Damn, how did I miss this thread? FLCL is a masterpiece, Haruhi is a masterpiece of fluff, and I'll be buying both of them ^^
And I'm surprised Haruhi is being mentioned for UK release so soon, I heard the licensing costs were pretty darn high.

CitizenGeek said:
I, too, would love to see the Haruhi advert!

melonpan said:

But Australia and the UK are completely different. The UK's population exceeds 60 million, while Australia has just 20 million. Furthermore, Australia is about 20 times the size of the UK ... so I don't really understand that point at all.

Well this might be stereotyping a bit but Australia has a huge Asian population, which anime might be more accepted and popular with the youth.

Back