Nargis looks back on her year with Naruto

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Anime UK News's regular contributor Nargis Ahmad has chosen to look back on the year 2007 in her own unique way, by penning "<a href="http://www.animeuknews.net//article/50/my-year-with-naruto">My Year with Naruto</a>"; another heart-felt editorial looking back on her introduction to the ever-prominent and ninja-star-throwing action series that finally premiered in the UK during 2007, some 5 years after it first started making waves in Japan.
"One of the most amusing moments happened whilst Naruto gave one of his now famous speeches. You know the one I mean. The, “One day I will be Hokage and then everyone will have to respect me,â€

Conan-san said:
Lupus Inu said:
Sy said:
Damn, I thought the craze was dying down.
No, no, it has only just begun.
Yes, Jetix is clearly failing in it's mission that was given to them by thier Anti-spiral overlords to completly fux up the whole deal.

It's those cursed spiral beings, with their unbreakable spirits fighting the power!

...Bit off track there, yeah had no idea. Figured that Naruto really wasn't that big a deal in the west anymore. Shows what I know.

Wildcard said:
Conan-san said:
Lupus Inu said:
Sy said:
Yes, Jetix is clearly failing in it's mission that was given to them by thier Anti-spiral overlords to completly fux up the whole deal.

It's those cursed spiral beings, with their unbreakable spirits fighting the power!

...Bit off track there, yeah had no idea. Figured that Naruto really wasn't that big a deal in the west anymore. Shows what I know.
Despite what people say about how they feel of Jetix's handling of the Naruto TV series it has been on TV. The internet is okay for getting to know about stuff you already know about but the beauty of TV is that it introduces people to random stuff they would otherwise not seek out. I would not, if I were not an anime fan, suddenly type random words/sequences-of-letters, such as "Naruto", into search engines to see what comes up whereas I do channel hop through the TV every now and then to see if there is something interesting on. This is one area where traditional TV wins out over the internet, in spreading awareness of shows to the general public. Anime fans view it as an affront and destroying the franchise whereas the average watcher is not aware of any particular problem since they have not seen/are unaware of the original material.

Of course most kids watching these shows are not necessarily aware of anime, viewing them as simply cartoons (which they are when all is said and done). The likes of Jetix's new anime block may address this a little and inform those kids about the medium.

Wildcard said:
Conan-san said:
Lupus Inu said:
Sy said:

Naruto is full of Spirals, it's practialy Sprial-being propaganda!

Ok, off that track. Honestly, yes, In the US, I'm of the opinion that we've reached that middle part of the peak, depending on where viz take the show post 'that' part is will tell if they're going keep this thing going or crash it fantasicly.

In the UK, I'm amazed it ever got off the ground beyond the few who knew it prior.

Being honest, i was a bit surprised myself when i decided to start watching it properly only a couple weeks back, now i'm about 35 episodes into part 1 of the whole storyline, and it is enjoyable. I think its due to the fact i've read the manga up to the latest chapter, but it has something that makes it worth watching/reading.

RetroRainbow said:
People love Naruto.

But they'll want moar.

To the internet they go.

Watch fan-subs of newer episodes, download scantalated chapters, every week.

But then they'll start getting interested in proper anime.

Yet they will half-heartedly continue to d/l Naruto.

Until one day, it hits them how **** Naruto actually is.

They will join this board, and lol at the Narutards, secretly ashamed.
True story, happened to me, several months before I joined this site I was uber into Naruto, one day I just stopped caring for it, got into Bleach then, finished with Bleach after a while had an epiphany on how Bleach wasn't even all that good anyway, so I just started watching different things and reading different things, and that is how I came to be. >_>

So yeah, I was a Narutard, so RetroRainbow's "theory" is truth.

I'm surprised so many people were unaware of how huge Naruto is in the West. I watched the first 40 episodes on Jetix and enjoyed it a lot; Jetix then decided to go crazy with repeats and I lost interest, but I realise it's a good series, by no means a bad introduction to anime :]

CitizenGeek said:
I'm surprised so many people were unaware of how huge Naruto is in the West. I watched the first 40 episodes on Jetix and enjoyed it a lot; Jetix then decided to go crazy with repeats and I lost interest, but I realise it's a good series, by no means a bad introduction to anime :]

You don't mind that it's been edited vastly? You don't get to experience the openings and closings that added to the atmosphere either =(
*my soul sheds a tear*

melonpan said:
You don't mind that it's been edited vastly? You don't get to experience the openings and closings that added to the atmosphere either =(
*my soul sheds a tear*

Well, I hadn't seen Naruto unedited, so it didn't bother me. I may have lost out on the OPs and EDs, too (and the one you posted was fantastic), but I still enjoyed Naruto on Jetix an awful lot and I found it has quite an emotional punch.

CitizenGeek said:
melonpan said:
*my soul sheds a tear*

Well, I hadn't seen Naruto unedited, so it didn't bother me. I may have lost out on the OPs and EDs, too (and the one you posted was fantastic), but I still enjoyed Naruto on Jetix an awful lot and I found it has quite an emotional punch.

I'm glad that the edited version still has the impact. It would have been a shame if it changed the story/atmosphere massively.

melonpan said:
I'm glad that the edited version still has the impact. It would have been a shame if it changed the story/atmosphere massively.

Yeah, honestly, I don't think Jetix did anything that bad to Naruto. Definitely nothing on the scale of what 4kid's did to One Piece.

Back