Need a Graphic Design Laptop!!

Hi, going into my 2nd year of uni at DMU, studying Graphic Design.... and I NEEEED a new Laptop, this is where I thought you all might help! :D LOL the budget is £700 and I would totally love all your opinions and tips on what to look out for, what to buy, any recommended specs etc etc...

I basically need a laptop that is able to run most Graphic Design based programmes such as Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Primier..... and have enough processing power to juggle programmes simultaneously,

All suggestions much appreciated, and fellow Graphic Designers and Computer Know-it-Alls, as well as the general public... I need your HELPPP!

Intensive graphics design programs really make use of multiple cores well. I mean everything is faster with duel core but not everything, including games, makes full use of quad core. Graphics design, image rendering, video design programs usually do.

A lot of RAM also would be beneficial

I do the same thing on my PC just fine with Quad Core and 2gb of RAM.

I'd suggest going for 4gb of RAM though as i'm upgrading this week and if you're running Vista (I'm on XP with no need to upgrade y'see) then you'll need that extra RAM.

Get a lot of RAM and make sure the machine is 64-bit capable, then grab Windows 7 when it's out in the next month or so. Nothing worse than having a lot of RAM etc and being unable to use it with a weak version of Windows :)

If you need to buy now check with your manufacturer as you may be eligible for a "free" Windows 7 upgrade when it's out.

R

make sure you get one with a decent hard drive too, since you may want to try variations/multiple programs too from inkscape/photoshop/paint shop pro.

But yeah 4Gb of Ram should do it

Ahhh thanks for all the tips =) also, is there a specific processor that will boost the performance for my desired laptop - I Heard AMD Processors are good with stuff like Graphic Design etc. but the Intel Core Duo processor seems as good also... and is there a certain speed in Ghz tht would b recommendable?

Back