NEO announces its UK anime award winners

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Last weekend, UK asian pop culture magazine NEO announced the results of their (first) annual awards, as voted for by their readers. The anime related prize winners are listed below.<ul class="menu"><li>BEST ANIME SERIES
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (Manga)

<li>BEST ANIME MOVIE
Howl's Moving Castle (Optimum)

<li>BEST CHARACTER - ANIME
Vash - Trigun (MVM)

<li>BEST DISTRIBUTOR - ANIME
MVM

<li>BEST SOUNDTRACK - ANIME
Cowboy Bebop (Beez)

<li>BEST MANGA SERIES
Fushigi Yugi (Gollancz)

<li>BEST MANGA COLLECTION/ANTHOLOGY
Ghost in the Shell 2nd Edition (Dark Horse)

<li>BEST MANGA CREATOR
CLAMP (TokyoPop)

<li>BEST CHARACTER - MANGA
Chi - Chobits (TokyoPop)

<li>BEST PUBLISHER - MANGA
TokyoPop</ul>Click here to read the full rundown of the awards. Do you agree with these results? Have your say on our forums!

This is my personal run down for the year so far.

* BEST ANIME SERIES
Cowboy Bebop (Beez)

* BEST ANIME MOVIE
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

* BEST CHARACTER - ANIME
Char Aznable (Gundam)

* BEST DISTRIBUTOR - ANIME
MVM

* BEST SOUNDTRACK - ANIME
Cowboy Bebop (Beez)

Not many surprises there, although how Vash and Chi became the most popular anime and manga characters I'm not sure...I can think of a lot of others who are at least as interesting. Still, MVM seem to have done well for themselves though - I must admit A LOT of my personal faves from this year have been from them. Beez have made one big impression on fans as well, which is encouraging too. Congrats to Tokyopop for getting their stuff on high street bookshelves in largish quantities though!

It's pretty interesting - some of the results are not what we expected at all, while others were obvious before we even started running the poll!

Well, I can't moan because I didn't vote. A few of them surprised me, but things like that usually do... I thought Motoko from Ghost in the Shell would get best anime character but I'm pleased Howl got the best movie, because I love that film... I like ADV more than MVM, but I guess it shows who is buying the most and then saying something about it.

Sad to see no Ayanami in there, shame there wasn't an award for best 14 year-old enigmatic girl with blue hair...

How annoying, i can't say i agree with most of that, but i suppose it was expected that things like GITS would win best series, i voted for Fruits Basket of course. I wonder what makes that issue 13 of NEO a collectors edition

Charter_Mage said:
How annoying, i can't say i agree with most of that, but i suppose it was expected that things like GITS would win best series, i voted for Fruits Basket of course. I wonder what makes that issue 13 of NEO a collectors edition

Perhaps the idea that sticking special edition on front will sell more copies, says the cynic. ;)

I also don't agree with many of those; Stand Alone Complex, for example, is a very good series, but I think it probably won because the popularity it has; devout anime fans and non anime fans alike watch it with relish. I must say, though, I strongely disagree with the character choices, but then again that's just my own opinion.

Well MVM is coming out with better stuff at the moment, BUT it is never in the local shops (Adv's stuff is all the time though) meaning i have to order over the net. more than that, their stuff has been delayed so many times it is getting rediculious!!!

Squeaks said:
The voice of majority has spoken. Maybe we are missing something? Wait a minute we just became the minority.
I think we have always been classed as the minority :lol: .

Chomolungma said:
Perhaps the idea that sticking special edition on front will sell more copies, says the cynic.
I must be a cynic then also :wink:

I think the results are definitely the results of the masses, but i just don't understand why people who gather on forums always seem to fall into the minority bracket :? . Though in truth i never expected the things i voted for to win, i knew from the outset that Shigure for best anime character was a bit of a long-shot :lol: .

I hope in that issue of NEO they also put what the final nominees were, unless they just left it as it was, maybe there wasn't enough votes for other things in the other catagory. I also hope we get to see what the mascot looked like that they chose

Though I love Howl's Moving Castle, I have to point out one thing: what the hell was its competition anyway? Wasn't the only film to get a theatrical release last year "The Cat Returns"? (and they can't really count movies, AND there weren't that many quality movies released on DVD last year anyway)

My money is on Ghost in the Shell 2 for next year's prize. You know. Because it'll be the only anime movie released in more than 2 film festivals.

The awards are just generally silly anyway. It's time for the anime industry to stop talking about all "anime" as some kind of glorified whole, as if all productions share anything beyond the fact that they were all animated. Genre by genre basis should be the norm.

Let's just change the NEO awards to the Brit awards or something similar - mainstream!

While one or two may deserve their awards, I can think of 100+ more anime characters that are cooler, more intelligent, better designed and generally just better than Vash from Trigun.
And what about Chi from Chobits..that's a joke right? :shock: I can make a better character myself!

Awards are always overrated, the best things in life don't need awards to prove their worth!
________
Babi Mac

neptune2venus said:
I can think of 100+ more anime characters that are cooler, more intelligent, better designed and generally just better than Vash from Trigun.

Yes, but have those 100+ been released in the UK within the last 12 months? :wink:

Motoko should have won best character, but what's so wrong with Vash anyway (Trigun fanboy mode is switched on)), its not like he's a shallow character, if you've seen the whole series.

Animated FatCat said:
neptune2venus said:
I can think of 100+ more anime characters that are cooler, more intelligent, better designed and generally just better than Vash from Trigun.

Yes, but have those 100+ been released in the UK within the last 12 months? :wink:

Motoko should have won best character, but what's so wrong with Vash anyway (Trigun fanboy mode is switched on)), its not like he's a shallow character, if you've seen the whole series.

*Trigun detractor mode switched on*

I have to agree with Neptune here; I think most anime contain over 100 better characters than Vash, such as "innocent bystander 49"

I don't really agree that Yoko Kanno is the best anime music composer of all time... or rather that Cowboy Bebop has the best soundtrack- I just think there are far better ones.

Ah, although not many of those have actually been released in the UK. Princess Mononoke beats the peas out of CB, in my opinion. And I even think the Trigun music's better, to be honest. But bleh, I didn't vote and even if I had there would have been about ten others all voting for Bebop.

Solo Tremaine said:
And I even think the Trigun music's better, to be honest.
I think Triguns soundtrack works well in relation to the scenes the tracks are playing in but doesn't stand up well on it's own as an album(same goes with Gungrave). Yoko Kanno's music for Bebop, Stand Alone Complex, Wolf's Rain and so on compliment the scenes in which the tracks are played but also work excellently as stand alone tracks. Yoko Kanno doesn't just write music for the series, she writes songs and albums which you can listen to just like any other band or artist without relating it to the show. Thats why people vote for Yoko Kanno I think.

Back