Neo Magazine Issue #2 coming soon

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
We have just posted the cover art for Issue #2 of NEO magazine, expected to hit UK shelves on 6th January.

This upcoming issue contains a large feature on Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (including a poster), a detailed look at the mecha/giant robot anime genre and a 6 page preview of (TokyoPop manga) Eerie Queerie.

Just in case this is the first time you have heard about this magazine; NEO is essentially the closest we UK anime fans to come to getting our own dedicated anime magazine. Check out NEO's official website if you haven't had a chance already.

Im looking forward to this Issue as im and big final fantasy fan and a big mecha fan too. Its goodto see they are doing news on a anime that new in japan this mouth and not just old anime series.

Front cover is even less appealing than the first issue - which unfortunately got obliterated by my 16 month old daughter - shame :lol:

I think this time I will be really cheeky and check the mag out before I buy it.
Having a review on one of my current fave mangas (Eerie Queerie) might induce me to actually buy it, just have to see :roll:

The mecha article looks interesting. I wonder what they talk about and how they define the limits of the genre. Will they go as far as Escaflowne with its mecha elements, or will they stay strictly in the Gundam school.

I always wonder about the terms 'mecha' and 'mech'.

From what I've read elsewhere, 'mecha' are weird bio-mechanical robots (like those seen in Evangelion and RahXephon) and 'mech' is the more realistic giant robots (like those seen in Gundam and Macross). Anyone able to clear it up?

I have heard that in Japan, mecha is a term for any machine - be it robot, vehicle or other, but in the West, the term has been adopted to mean a giant robot of some sort, like in games like Mech Assault/Warrior et al. Of course, I may be wrong.

Yeah, as far as I've gleaned from ten years or so mecha in Japan means everything from big mechanical suits, huge transforming robots, android things, tanks and Roujin-Z beds. But in the West it's mainly giant robots.
Mech I associate more with role playing and videogames, I think it specifically refers to a battle droid that you pilot...

ive always though of the word "mecha" as big robots from eg evangelion and gundam seed tho ive only just started to get into mecha anime alot since i watch gundam seed and i though gundam seed was more about war then mecha sults.

Not long to wait, should be out tomorrow cant wait. s Something to look forward to in the morning anyway. im heoping the 2nd issus is better then the 1st.

Chomolunga has it: Mecha is generally any mechanical device or construct, or at least that's the way I've always thought of it as. That's also the way Big Eyes Small Mouth defines mecha.

And reading through the article, they've covered Gundam, Macross, Escaflowne, Dunbine, Evangelion, Mazinger, Giant Robo and Gunbuster, as well as the video games Armoured Core and my much loved classic, Virtual ON. So plenty of variation, then.

I received my issue through the post today. Looking forward to giving it a good read- some initial observations are that it's certainly thicker than Issue #1 and everyone's favourite anime expert Johathan Clements has more column inches.

Interested to see they covered the Daily Mail 'episode'. Though disappointed it wasn't the scan of the paper on Richy's desk ;)

Back