NEO magazine's readers awards

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
<a href="http://www.neomag.co.uk/">NEO Magazine</a> have asked us to mention their Autumn reader awards, "the first Asian pop culture awards for the UK, covering the worlds of manga, anime, film and music" that will take place on Saturday, 29th October. While there is no online voting system in place, <a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/pdf/NEOAwards_form.pdf">we have uploaded</a> the printable voting form for those who would like to have their say in the awards.

All I can say that in any award ceremony the nominations can confound and annoy, and for these awards i'm without a doubt happy for the "other" vote.

It's a cliche selection of awards, I mean, Vash the Stampede listed for favourite character, even now? It seems like the sort of list a ninties-obssessed individual would put together, in the firm belief that this is the sort of options everyone would want to vote for.

And worse of all, the Best Manga series lacks such stables as Fruits Basket! The videogame award contains Tekken, and yet otherwise has all anime-related games? It is necessary to draw up a shortlist, of course, and I may just be ranting against the lack of much to represent my personal preferences, but I really don't see how the these nominations can be representative of many anime fans, especially the Best Manga award.

Trigun is a current anime release for the UK, as it is only halfway through its UK release at the moment. This set of awards had little to do with when these shows were originally made.

Anybody who votes a for a fan-sub or R1 release in a UK-specific vote is really quite mistaken...

Even if I felt like wasting a stamp, I'd just be ticking the "other" box all the way through. Again, a very male orientated selection in nearly every catagory. I can't see it being very successful, as I reckon a lot of people will just tick "other" :lol:

Ushio said:
Trigun is a current anime release for the UK, as it is only halfway through its UK release at the moment. This set of awards had little to do with when these shows were originally made.

Anybody who votes a for a fan-sub or R1 release in a UK-specific vote is really quite mistaken...

True, true. But I still fail to see how amidst such new and acclaimed titles as Haibane Renmei, 90s "classics" like Trigun are given a vote. Surely the anime world has moved on? I'll not be suprised if the "Neo Awards 2005" are won by titles that originally saw light of day years ago, as opposed to honouring some of the truly great new titles that were released this year.

Miaka-chan said:
Even if I felt like wasting a stamp, I'd just be ticking the "other" box all the way through.

Likewise, certainly. Although a narrow collection is required to make sure the votes count for something and are not too spread out, I feel the shortlist for each award is grossly unsatifactory in covering the huge myriad of titles out there.

due to my browser not liking pdf format much i can't comment on the specifics but would it have been better to have separate categories for old faves and new stuff? maybe 'all time greats' and 'best this year' might be more appropriate...

Concrete badger said:
due to my browser not liking pdf format much i can't comment on the specifics but would it have been better to have separate categories for old faves and new stuff? maybe 'all time greats' and 'best this year' might be more appropriate...

That could have been a good idea to try, although it does draw a line between today's anime and the "classics," giving the idea that certain anime are untouchable (and if they did split the catagories up, that would mean someone out there regards Trigun as an all time great :p). I think. I guess i'm a little bit disgruntled that the poll does not reflect my personal taste to a huge degree, although their are titles I love in there.

I would love to see Habaine Renmei win an award, but even among anime fans, it's quite an obscure title. (Nothing to do with anything: Paranoia Agent seems more likely as the 'alternative' choice as it's received a lot of mainstream attention recently.)

Despite not being on the shortlist, I would like to feel that most fans would have the initiative to vote for the series they want and not for what they're prompted to vote for. Because of this, I feel that ruits Basket still has a good chance of winning! :D

Side note:
I'm personally fed up with seeing Ghost in the Shell everywhere I look. Don't be surprised if Ghost in the Shell wins most of the anime catagories. It has been around for about 10 years since the first film was made, and it's currently flavour of the month for a lot of people. It has been for a while now and the release of 2nd Gig won't slow this down *sigh*

Don't get me wrong, I like Ghost in the Shell, I just see a lot of people around who rarely venture out of well-established series...

Ushio said:
Don't get me wrong, I like Ghost in the Shell, I just see a lot of people around who rarely venture out of well-established series...

I agree; I found Stand Alone Complex (and to a lesser degree, the films) to be very exhilirating and , yet the way they constantly appear in lists like this, and top the bestsellers (well, excluding Ghibli) of anime in UK, seems to suggest that there are some who exclusively watch Ghost In The Shell without branching out into other anime. I just don't think GiTS, good as it may be, is the empyrean anime.

Ghost in the Shell is for the anime fan and none anime fan, all of my friends have proved that. I've force them to watch anime movies and such and Stand Alone Complex and Innocence are the only ones they really enjoyed(and the Bebop movie).

I do branch out a fair bit but I have to admit that 2nd Gig is one of the best series live action or otherwise that i've seen in a while.

As others have said, I can just go through this entire thing ticking "other" in a lot of the cases. Its a list for pretty much male mainstream only anime fans, and some of the other choices seem more than a little bizarre for their respective sections. I think it may well have been better to let people write in their "top 3 choices" for each category, but that is just my opinion.

Oh and I agree with Chomo on the GiTS thing, the franchise certainly has its moments, but this constant idolizing of it as the best thing out there in general rather grates at times. Looking at the sales charts on places like play, I'd certainly say there was a high chance some people just watch GiTS and no other anime.

I'm not sure if many of you have noticed, but you don't actually tick the "other" section- there is a space provided there for you to name your other nomination, so essentially, you have a chance to vote for your favourite series anyway...

... but don't forget, these are UK specific awards, a celebration of the burgeoning UK anime (and general Asian pop culutre) industry. As strange as it is to imagine, the likes of Bebop and Trigun only launched over here in the last 12 months so their nominations are perfectly valid. Sticking Naruto or Bleach on there would be pretty pointless.

I did realise you could write what the other title was ;) . But my point was, with any pre-picked compotetion its always going to be entirely unbalanced. This wasn't a jab at the actual NEO awards, but mainly these type of things in general. Unless everything is decided by fans I don't really see the point in these awards things on a masse level.

Paul said:
... but don't forget, these are UK specific awards, a celebration of the burgeoning UK anime (and general Asian pop culutre) industry. As strange as it is to imagine, the likes of Bebop and Trigun only launched over here in the last 12 months so their nominations are perfectly valid. Sticking Naruto or Bleach on there would be pretty pointless.

Indeed, they are valid nominations, but as Mangaminx said, any poll with an "other" option is likely to see a victory from one of the named options. Naruto and Bleach are two series that most certainly wouldn't be valid to add to the poll, but there are so many UK releases that to take these five and use them as nominations without an open vote to what should be nominated hardly seems fair.

And yes, the line next to the other options as opposed to a tick box was indeed noted. :p

Chomolungma said:
Paul said:

Indeed, they are valid nominations, but as Mangaminx said, any poll with an "other" option is likely to see a victory from one of the named options. Naruto and Bleach are two series that most certainly wouldn't be valid to add to the poll, but there are so many UK releases that to take these five and use them as nominations without an open vote to what should be nominated hardly seems fair.

And yes, the line next to the other options as opposed to a tick box was indeed noted. :p

I take your point that an "open vote" would have been better since if forces people to choose, but I also assume this effort would also limit the ultimate number of votes. People hate making an effort and I guess the NEO staff are just trying to make it easy on their casual readership.

Online voting would have been nice too, but with security and cheating issues, I suppose they can't really risk the vote being tainted.

Ryo Chan said:
actually the link is from here chomo :p

UKA have the only original copy of the file because neo's not uploaded theres yet

As I said in the top news post, we were sent this PDF by the NEO magazine editor.

Back