'New Police Story' in UK cimemas from October 13th

Sy

Time-Traveller
I dunno about anybody else but i'm really looking forward to this. Jackie Chans American movies have been lacking(or just plain bad) but he still makes some pretty damn strong films back in Asia(The Accidental Spy is one of my favourite films, not the awful edit we got on DVD though). Apparently it's not a continuation of the 4 actual Police Story movies but it looks fantastic and i'm really psyched it's being shown in cinemas. So for anybody else who's interested here's a list of where it's being shown...

London Screenings

Showcase - Newham
Vue - Romford

Regional Release
Vue (Star City) - Birmingham
Cineworld - Bolton
Showcase - Bristol
Vue - Cheshire Oaks
Showcase - Coventry
Cineworld (renfrew st) - Glasgow
Showcase - Leeds
Odeon Printworks - Manchester
Vue - Plymouth
Cineworld - Sheffield
Showcase - Stockton

I just hope it's subtitled and not dubbed.

Not too sure about this as it doesn't have the same comedy element as the originals especially with Chan playing a down beat cop.

McIcy said:
Not too sure about this as it doesn't have the same comedy element as the originals especially with Chan playing a down beat cop.
Well if it's anywhere near as good as Heart of the Dragon or Crime Story(his more serious roles) then there won't be a problem with me. It does look bloody good though.

I'll do my best to see this. One of the cinemas there is very local to me and they showed the trailer for it last time I went there so I've got little excuse not to go! :-D

Hi, I have this on dvd, as Dave says it's unlike the previous Police Story films (Which are also being released in a box set soon region 2 UK) The action in New Police Story is excellent and Jackie does indeed play a series role, if you catch this on the big screen I'm pretty sure it'll look great.

desert_skunk said:
Hi, I have this on dvd, as Dave says it's unlike the previous Police Story films (Which are also being released in a box set soon region 2 UK)
Though we still don't have number 3 and a decent Cantonese version of number 4(just the crappy dub edit). :( I hope Hong Kong Legends gets the rights to them soon because 3 and 4 are both excellent.

i 'had' this on dvd, and after watching, eeeew. this film was a big let down to his other police story films. the older ones owned, this one didn't.

I'm not counting it as a Police Story film since it has different characters, setting and overall tone. So I don't think i'll be disappointed.

Just got back from seeing it and it was bloody fantastic. A really refreshing change of movie for chan. Very dark and he played it well. I'd say it's like a mix of Crime Story and has elements of Police Story 2 but it's quite different from the usual Chan outing of comedy and action.

Loved it, will buy it when it's released on DVD. If anyone gets the chance I urge them to see it. :)

I saw it last night and thought it was really bad. Really cliched, predictable and miserable story. Boring too.

I can handle Chan's films with less of the comedy or even the action, but they do need to put something else in there to replace their absence. A bad plot isn't good enough. (Crime Story and Heart of Dragon are better examples of Chan's more intense films)

Even Medallion was better than this...

Ushio said:
Even Medallion was better than this...
Whoa... wash your mouth out with soap. The Medallion isn't even better than The Protector.

I thought this was one of the least predictable chan movies to date in terms of what will happen next. The villians were the most sadistic in any of his other films and managed to hold interest throughout. I also liked the little touches on back story of some of the other characters too.

Possibly the thing I liked most about the movie though was that Jackie seemed vunrable. He wasn't that indestructable stunt master that they could have made him and this added a lot to the the movie. Unlike Crime Story where the random blasts of Kung Fu seemed out of place, the action seemed more believeable.

And less action? This movie was action packed throughout. It balanced the talky scenes and the action perfectly. Plus the direction was just beautiful. Easily one of his best movies.

I've had this on HK R3 DVD for the best part of a year now, and as much as it pains me to do so (big Jackie Chan fan myself here!) I have to agree with Ushio. It's a just an extremely predictable, by the numbers action flick with only a handful of redeeming features. My main complaint is with Chan's performance; his portrayal of a 'cop on the edge' isn't in the least bit convincing and the scenes in which he attempts to act drunk are just plain embarassing.

On the upside, the direction isn't too shabby and the fight scenes are staged quite effectively, it's just a shame the rest of the movie leaves so little to be desired.

I don't quite get what everybody means by predictable. If anything it's one of his least predictable movies. Chan fans calling his movies predictable is like calling the sky blue(or grey since we live in the UK). Most of his movies you know the outcome and the events leading up to it before you even sit down to watch. Also about having little action... that's a confusing one.

The bomb scene in particular I wasn't sure what was going to happen next. After she cut the wires I thought "oh well that's it, they were just trying to wind Wing up but then when she stood up and there was another wire around the back I totally didn't expect that.

I'm actually gonna say this isn't a movie for big Chan fans in general because they just end up nit picking on the movie way too much. The friends I went with aren't Chan fans and they came out loving it. for me it was a nice change in one of his movies that was just so plain murderous. It was a welcome change and I hope he makes more Honk Kong movies like this again rather than movies like Shanghai Knights.

I will admit that some of the drunk scenes were a bit Drunken Master 2 though. :p That would be my only real complaint though. It was just a great solid action flick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read some reviews and they say its a good movie but the first half an hour is mildly disappointing. When is Rush Hour 3 out.

Apparently Jackie Chan is going to attempt playing a lawyer in his next movie which will be a serious drama instead of the usual comedies he's known for.

Many of you may know, some of you may not, but the DVD release of New Police Story is 05/02/07 and I pre-ordered my copy.

I'm well pleased, because its being released by Contender - using their Hong Kong Legends label - and is a two disc edition that seems more than generous with the bonus materials listings.

I actually haven't seen the film before, but its one of those releases I'm more than a tad confident with. I like the sound of it.

I would have liked to have seen it at the cinema, but in Plymouth - despite its multiplex - its not an easy task because, put simply, the Vue cinema (for that is what its called) is a load of old bollocks to any film that isn't capable of reaching certain box-office takings. Sods...

Back