New trailers incl. Appleseed: Ex Machina & Macross Frontier

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
<ul>
<li>Studio Gonzo and Nitroplus have <a href="http://www.nitroplus.co.jp/pc/lineup/an_01/index.php">published a trailer</a> for their upcoming sci-fi/action anime Blassreiter, directed by Ichiro Itano (whose previous directing credits include ultra-violent anime like GANTZ, Angel Cop and Violence Jack).</li>
<li><a href="http://uk.anime.ign.com/articles/834/834615p1.html">IGN is streaming</a> the official English trailer for the latest movie in the Appleseed franchise, "Appleseed: Ex Machina". Again directed by Shinji Aramaki but this time produced under the watchful eyes of action expert John Woo.</li>
<li><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjHQPDOD7E8">YouTube are hosting</a> a 2-minute trailer for the newest Macross TV series, Macross Frontier; included is a preview of the soundtrack produced by none other than Yoko Kanno (returning to the franchise for the first time since scoring Macross Plus).</li>
</ul>

Macross Frontier's trailer looked like they were going down the Macross 7 route of a longer space opera set on a ship rather than an earth based show. New idol seems to be someone called Sheryl :? , and a new enemy (they didn't seem to be zentradi). Semi optimistic, but there were a too few many sparkles for my liking.
Appleseed: Ex Machina- great trailer, lots of action, a little romance, some suspense therefore think the movie itself will be :roll: not so brilliant.
As for Blassreiter... well its seems to be action, stuff blowing up, more action and some more blowing stuff up. So meh.

For a TV series, Macross Frontier looks pretty amazing. Just look at how much cooler the aircraft combat is compared with the newer Gundam stuff. And the Yoko Kanno tune gets better each time I hear it... My only worry is that it'll be some brainless teen drama.

At best, Macross Frontier will combine the music of Plus with the visual shininess of Zero...which sounds like the best combination in recent memory. The cynic in me warns that this is over-simplifying things though - the director of Frontier isn't particularly well known for instance, so that's an unknown quantity. Still, I always welcome more Macross with open arms.

As for the second Appleseed, it looks like more of the same in regards to the first one. The character expressions are still a bit off but otherwise it looks like a brilliantly entertaining blockbuster-type movie. I'm looking foward to that too.

I absolutely canNOT wait for Frontier. I absolutely loved Plus and Zero, I hope it gets a good release as well - Bandai super expensive collector's version or something. Zero needs to be licensed and released properly as well! I can't believe it's not already been licensed.
Can't wait to see more Appleseed, and I'll hopefully get around to seeing yet another Gonzo show... sometime...

Liking the look of Appleseed, the visuals are far smoother looking than the last film and the story following cyborgs could be interesting. Still it feeds my paranoid fear that CGI is taking over. :eek:

Don't know what to make of Blassreiter (sounds german), seems like the usual Gonzo stuff, violence with low substance. Doesn't appeal yet, but who knows.

With Macross Frontier it's a bit early to say what the deal is, visually it looks nice and epic, but I think a crap romance storyline could screw it up. At least it has the bonus of a Yoko Kanno soundtrack.

Back