New UK manga publisher arrives; Naruto and Bleach lined up

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
<p>A new UK manga publisher has arrived! Having inked a deal with Viz Media, <a href="http://www.thebookstandard.com/bookstandard/news/publisher/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003576904">"Simon & Schuster" are set to publish</a> the likes of Naruto and Bleach in the UK and Ireland. According to the press release, the US division of "Simon & Schuster" already distribute Viz Media manga in North America and this arrangement has now been extended to the UK too.

Quoted in the same press release is a statement from a sales director at Simon & Schuster. "The UK has a long established love of graphic novels and we are pleased to forge this agreement with VIZ Media to bring the hottest manga properties to a fast growing fan base hungry for the best in entertainment content,&acirc;&euro;Â

I'm sure I am not the only one who noticed the waning of Gollancz's releases. I guess this is practically the reason. Well if it becomes another Tanoshimi I shan’t be complaining! Lets just hope they don’t try to release everything at once, the last thing we need is a market saturation.

Currently Gollancz have releases scheduled right up until September - which is when the new list of manga is supposed to come out. It'll be interesting to see if any titles are put after then...

Well, this is crap then ¬¬...

Now i have to wait for them to release the Manga in the UK of Bleach. I rather buy mine from Amazon where they are over 20 volumes.

But its great for the other people ^^

Finally, Manga is increasing in the UK

Lupus Inu said:
I had to wait 2.6 years for Bleach manga to come to the UK? About time, but it's too late now. =/

ryo chan said:
u mean i actually have chance of seeing above vol 5 of bleach in Borders atlast?

I know, it sucks... Why does everyone hate the UK in Anime and Japanese Released Games

Chrono Demon said:
Lupus Inu said:
I had to wait 2.6 years for Bleach manga to come to the UK? About time, but it's too late now. =/

ryo chan said:
u mean i actually have chance of seeing above vol 5 of bleach in Borders atlast?

I know, it sucks... Why does everyone hate the UK in Anime and Japanese Released Games

You guys are lucky, we have never had it as good as we do now. :wink:

Espy said:
Manga publishers will never do very well in the UK.

And that's because you can't region-encode books.

Are you talking about importing via the internet, because high street chains like Borders and WH Smiths are more likely to stock UK publications rather than imports. To be honest manga has exploded in the UK over the last few years so I'm not really sure where you're coming from.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Internet sales of manga are more rampant than the high streets.

I doubt that, a lot. Maybe within hardcore fandom, but that's pretty irrelevant considering the hardcore UK fandom is somewhere around the low thousands anyway. The money is in the casual buyers.

Really? I would have thought that since online shopping is supremely popular and getting more and more mainstream all the time plus being cheaper than the high streets that there would be more sales in it. AmazonUK mainly, they seem to import their manga from the US.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Really? I would have thought that since online shopping is supremely popular and getting more and more mainstream all the time plus being cheaper than the high streets that there would be more sales in it. AmazonUK mainly, they seem to import their manga from the US.

I think you're overestimating the size of the vocal minority. The silent majority aren't even internet savvy, let alone aware of sites like Amazon or Play.com. I'd say for everyone that buys manga online there are at least 3 that buy in the high street shops. Shopping online is a very specific process; 9 times out of 10, you know what you want before visiting and then place that order. On the other hand, there are more people that just walk into places like Borders, glance at a front cover and buy on a whim. So many parents must do this for Christmas and birthdays etc.

Paul said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:

I doubt that, a lot. Maybe within hardcore fandom, but that's pretty irrelevant considering the hardcore UK fandom is somewhere around the low thousands anyway. The money is in the casual buyers.

Anime IS a hardcore fandom. The vast majority of anime fans are very aquainted with internet and importing, without both, they'd be pretty depressed. Anyway, I can walk into FP, Borders or Waterstones and get all the American-published manga I want. They're hardly unknown shops. My first choice is amazon marketplace, but I do buy from shops frequently, and have no problem with finding american manga.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Maybe, or maybe not. ;)

I've seen nothing to suggest you're correct. And I'm a professional in the internet business. More anime fans buy online, but more anime is bought offline. Same applies to manga.

Espy said:
Paul said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:

Anime IS a hardcore fandom.

Again I thoroughly disagree. I was into anime as a 15 year old and I certainly wasn't hardcore. I just liked violent cartoons, and I bought them from Forbidden Planet. The vast majority of people buy magazine like NEO, walk into shops and pick-up DVDs with funky covers. It has nothing to do with being a fan.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Paul said:
More anime fans buy online, but more anime is bought offline.
Figures! I demand figures and all kinds of crazy graphs and ****!

I'm going off what I've been told by industry reps, what I've read online and what I know through working with websites all day, every day. If you honestly want an answer, then e-mail a company like MVM or ADV, I'm sure they'll be happy to let you know (without providing strict sales figures).

The general jist of this whole debate is simple. More people buy manga in shops than they do online. Therefore, getting more manga in shops is a good thing for the UK industry. More manga, more fans, more money. Times one thousand. That's basically the bottom line of what I'm saying in this thread.

Back