New UK TV channel Anime+ from Sony Europe?

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
UKAnime.com have spotted that a new UK TV channel excitingly named Anime+ has been submitted to OFCOM (independent regulator of UK TV) by Sony Pictures Europe.

Through their AXN and Animax TV channels, Sony have been gradually spreading anime across the world and it appears that they now intend to launch a dedicated anime channel in the UK too.

Keep in mind that for now nothing official (apart from the above OFCOM license) has been confirmed so while this is indeed a show of intention, Sony could well pull the plug at any point.

Exciting, indeed :)

There are already a few obvious candidates for this channel:

AstroBoy, Blood+, Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, Final Fantasy - Advent Children, Memories and Tokyo Godfathers all spring to mind. Inuyasha could be another one too.

An entire channel devoted to anime though, that would spoil us :) Especially if like our Asian counterparts, we ended up with anime like Honey & Clover on the channel.

Animax is a superb anime channel. i used tp watch that non-stop in India (all the shows were almost uncut and was in english...apart from a few)
This should be great news for the UK !
hope it all goes well.

I have to say that Sony confuse the hell out of me at the best of times. They licence Blood+ for everywhere but Europe, have a relatively poor performance for sales of FF7:Advent Children in Europe, completely screw up the release of Steamboy over here and then bring this to Europe. I'm not complaining since it sounds like a fantastic idea and could be just the boost the UK anime industry needs at the moment but it does boggle the mind somewhat...

Definately a must have channel as long as it does what it says in the title

Bring it on, come on OFCOM let us have our fun

Great news I look forward to hearing more on this. Hopefully they will have some real gems for shows if an when it comes out :)

Ah, but will we have to pay £500 to watch it? ;p

Jus kidding, us geting Cyborg 009 would be no end of awesome.
(and if they could slip us Boondocks, that would be appreciated, thanks)

It's probably still in the earliest of stages and could fall by the wayside at any time so I'm handling this news with very cautious optimism.

That said it's still evidence that the industry is waking up to how popular anime has become in recent years. They've possibly seen how well the likes Rapture have done out of it.

Oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*falls down because of the news that sony make*

I know this isn't official, but I can't stop being excited. Imagine Loads of anime on a channel where not edited like hell and cool animes like chrono crusade, maybe cowboy bebop and loads other.

And it will be probably after 8:00pm channel, but they might show kiddie anime shows like shaman king or somethin [hello, can't think right alot of kiddie anime except pokemon]. I hope this will come true and like to say thid is the best anime website in the uk.

Did Naruto push the button for anime+ news. Maybe, maybe not. But who cares, its been on the anime news.

Well, if it dos come, thn it'll help keep our money in the pocket. Less need to buy all these boxsets, which is a real relief.

I just hope they don't do a Toonami and replace anime with this live-action kids c***! Made in the 70's? XD

So here's oping for a good Anime channel. :D

Back