New version of the public profiles

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
OK everyone, we're considering developing a new version of the public profiles you may remember from a few months back.

Was there anything you particularly liked or disliked about the way it all worked last time? Any feature you're desperate to see us develop?

This time around, we'll be doing this step by step, launching one feature at a time rather than over-working ourselves with superfluous fluff. First up I was thinking of the top 10 anime list; on your profile page there would be image avatars that represent that series (as well as the text), and then within the encyclopedia, if you've "top 10'ed" a certain anime, your avatar would appear (with a link to your profile) on that certain encyclopedia entry.

Any thoughts, ideas, comments or complaints - fire away!

Hmm. . . .it was all so interesting last time; can't think off much that is needed to be improved.

A 'what you have watched' followed by a description; could prove to be a awesome addition.

A few different colour schemes possibly as well.

I would say a blog, but that would just be pointless.

Can't think of much else on the top of my head.

Top 10 idea sounds great, not sure if the whole avatar on the encyclopedia might clog up the actualy page for that entry if alot of people "top 10" it.

I agree with Jayme colour schemes would be a good Idea.

Im just wondering will you be keeping the questionaire that was on the profiles begore?

Maybe something showing the members most recent posts and the top 10 linking you to the series in the encyclopedia. I don't like the idea about it showing links to profiles on the encyclopedia pages.

I like thr profiles how they are, I can't really see anything else you need to put there, although I guess linking the name of our top ten series/mangas to a review or description of them would be cool

Well, you did hint that you are gonna add a shoutbox if possible. Then I like that please...

Plus can you please put in a Age and Gender showing, and add stuff like "What anime you own" and "Anime Wishlists".

Post comments in members profiles? =O

EDIT: I mean, Doberman Pharaoh was all "Mayn, this forum has no interaction" and he's sort of right, so with comments in members profiles it's more interaction to get to know members? I mean, really, I've added people from this forum on MSN and it's a real struggle to talk with them, due to lack of getting to know them on the forum itself.

The top 10 idea is a good one, also the idea of colour schemes may seem worth trying as well. I don't really know what else should be added..erm...maybe in the questionaire bit(if you add it again), maybe add a bit more for manga, like "what manga are you reading" or something like that.

The profiles were mostly fine as they were. The only thing I would add is an anime wishlist and an anime watched list.
Lupus Inu said:
Post comments in members profiles? =O

EDIT: I mean, Doberman Pharaoh was all "Mayn, this forum has no interaction" and he's sort of right, so with comments in members profiles it's more interaction to get to know members? I mean, really, I've added people from this forum on MSN and it's a real struggle to talk with them, due to lack of getting to know them on the forum itself.
That's what the PM system is for. If people complain about the lack of interaction, they need to PM each other more.

Okay, work is underway on the new profiles feature. Planned for the first version is the following:
  • User profile that shows: friend's list, shout box and personal information (grabbed from your forum profile).
  • Every time someone adds you as a friend or leaves a message in your shoutbox, you will be e-mailed a notification. Of course, you can remove messages from your shout box and close friendships too. Only your friends will be able to shoutbox your profile.
  • Able to search through other users and quickly "friend" them. Search will be based on user-name and location.

All of this is fairly "core" functionality; last time around I tried to do it all at once and as a result, the system was fairly half-arsed and rushed, missing out little yet important touches like e-mail notifications etc. Therefore, before doing anything like the top 10s and questionnaires, we're making sure that the flow of communication between users is perfect.

The aim is to get this up and running by mid-July. Obviously work and social lives may get in the way of that, but the tentative target is a couple of weeks from now. Once this first version is out of the way, we'll be able to start adding other "worthy" features, like:

• Top 10 anime and manga, possibly with extra room for a proper review of said anime or manga.
  • Customizable anime-related questionnaires and optional profile fields (like age and gender, since quite rightly, not everyone wants to reveal this information).
  • Whatever else comes to mind - anything goes - so possibly a DeviantArt style gallery to post your art? Show off your desktop wllpapers? Cosplay photos etc.

Pretty soon we won't need another site for anything else.

Have you thought about the ideas of URL's for individual profiles?

Paul said:
Okay, work is underway on the new profiles feature. Planned for the first version is the following:
  • User profile that shows: friend's list, shout box and personal information (grabbed from your forum profile).
  • Every time someone adds you as a friend or leaves a message in your shoutbox, you will be e-mailed a notification. Of course, you can remove messages from your shout box and close friendships too. Only your friends will be able to shoutbox your profile.
  • Able to search through other users and quickly "friend" them. Search will be based on user-name and location.

All of this is fairly "core" functionality; last time around I tried to do it all at once and as a result, the system was fairly half-arsed and rushed, missing out little yet important touches like e-mail notifications etc. Therefore, before doing anything like the top 10s and questionnaires, we're making sure that the flow of communication between users is perfect.

The aim is to get this up and running by mid-July. Obviously work and social lives may get in the way of that, but the tentative target is a couple of weeks from now. Once this first version is out of the way, we'll be able to start adding other "worthy" features, like:

• Top 10 anime and manga, possibly with extra room for a proper review of said anime or manga.
  • Customizable anime-related questionnaires and optional profile fields (like age and gender, since quite rightly, not everyone wants to reveal this information).
  • Whatever else comes to mind - anything goes - so possibly a DeviantArt style gallery to post your art? Show off your desktop wllpapers? Cosplay photos etc.

Sounds great, can't wait for the changes to be implemented. =D

Also, in regards to the artwork hosting; awesome.

I may have to ditch DA altogether when it comes to that stage. :twisted:

Back