Not a bad start, I hope you'll agree...?

Another one! (If I spent as much time studying as I did watching/drawing anime, I'd be gaurenteed a first! Lol)

This one looked cooler in my head (doesn't look too bad on paper either, in my humble opinion :wink: ) I was trying to play about with wind. Can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something a little bit off with her... Maybe you guys can point it out for me?

You're getting better!! I do think maybe the hands need a bit of work. Normally they should be the same size as the face, with the thumb being the same length as the nose. Porportions are easy to figure. And you can find a lot of tutorials on the web if you don't have a real model!
The material folds are great though! And learning from other anime artists always helps if you want to develop your own style ^__^

Nice picture, i think wind in a picture can make it look more dramatic. The only things i would say about is that it might be helpful to draw a line under your person where the ground would be for guidence so you can get your persons feet straighter, and the wrist of the lower arm could do with maybe being bent in the other direction. But as Original Angel said, i think the folds in the clothes are great, and you definetly keep improving :)

You know, I'm starting to get a little jealous. I really wish I was improving as fast as you, I've kinda hit a brick wall right now...

I'd agree with the comments about the hands and feet (I find in the best manga-style drawings, they're always a little larger than in real life), but they always seem to be the hardest things to get right!

I will add one thing of my own though: her hair. If you ever study a picture of film of someone's hair being blown about, or if you look closely at the same in an anime or manga, you will notice that the individual strands tend to be separated out. What you've done here is have it blown as one huge mass, and this looks unrealistic. Try drawing hair as large strands instead, then add detail.

:D

Thanks for the comments guys! :D I think I draw hands and feet small because I know I'm not very good at them, so I sort of want to hide them away. I see what you mean about the hair Siobhan, again, I guess I'm just worried about ruining the picture if I try to experiment too much at once (mind you, that's what erasers are for :wink: )

Siobhan said:
You know, I'm starting to get a little jealous. I really wish I was improving as fast as you, I've kinda hit a brick wall right now...

:( Don't say that, mate! You're probably my biggest inspiration (and you don't have anything to be jealous of from ME!) Hope you get your spark back soon, if you want, it'd be great if you gave my last picture a go? That way, I'd have a much clearer idea where I'm at as well!

I'm not saying you have to, but you can if you want :)

Siobhan said:
Do you mean re-draw it, or colour it?

Either way, it seems like a good side-project for half-term...

It's up to you, I'm not good enough with colour yet, but I know you are (and it would look really cool with colour! Only input I'd say, is brown hair please! :) )

Thanks! :D

Just knocked up another one! Couldn't think of a suitable pose, then I saw the Burst Angel cover on Mangaminx's blog, so this one goes out to her! ^_^

I've REALLY got to practise hands, they're the major flaw of this one, methinks... Any tips on drawing them??? Also, is her head a bit too big...?

Hands?! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!

The most difficult thing to draw, in my opinion. It really is just practice, though it might be a good idea to find some anime / manga pictures with really well done hands, and have a go at copying them.

Other than that, yes the head is a little too large, but the pose and the rest of the anatomy is very good indeed. Keep up the good work! :D

Phew, I'm glad it's not just me that finds hands so damn hard! One of the books I learnt from said that eyes and hair were the hardest...

But thanks for the advice, I agree that copying stuff's the best way to learn how its done. :D

I find Eyes and hair easy, though i've been none to do my eyes bit to big =x I find getting the head, hand and feet right in proportion the hardest <.<

I seemed to have lost my spark a bit lately, so I tried really hard with this one to get it back! I always struggle with thinking of poses, so I used a photo of Thom Yorke from Radiohead in the latest NME for my inspiration for this (which kinda explains the eyes! lol)

My least favourite part is probably the boots, cos they were cut off in the photo so I had nothing to refer to :( Still, I'm pretty proud of it!

What do y'all think? Comments and encouragement would be greatly apreciated!

I had wondered why you hadn't posted anything up lately... :wink:

Continuing to improve, I see. In general the pose is very strong, especially the dropped right shoulder, though you are right about the boots. They just don't seem 3D somehow.

My only other criticism is that the eyes aren't quite level. Since the eyes are the soul of the picture, it's important to get them right. Drawing in really faint guidelines to indiceate the angle of the face might be a good idea here.

So, you tried inking anything yet?

Cheers for the advice Siobhan, means a lot :p Usually I find drawing the face my favourite part of a picture, but it didn't seem to come with this one (probably cos it's been so long)

I did try inking and colouring on my earlier pictures, but I guess I'm still nervous about making mistakes seeing as you can't just erase ink if you mess up. Still, guess I should push myself more like you're doing! ^_^

Ah. See, I do all mine digitally, in Photoshop. I'm sure I'm perfectly capable of inking them on the original sketch, but I'm nowhere near sure enough of myself.... :oops:

Back