Oban Star-Racers nominated for BAFTA award

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
<a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/press/42/animated-series-oban-starracers-nominated-for-a-bafta-award">Oban Star-Racers has been nominated</a> for the Best Children's Animation award at the 2007 BAFTAs (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) - the other three nominations are all CBBC cartoons (Charlie and Lola Christmas Special, The Secret Show and Shaun the Sheep).

Being a truly global production, Oban Star Racers was animated in Japan by anime studio "Hal Film Maker" alongside French indie animation house "Sav! The World Productions". Despite being financed by Europe, there is a pronounced anime influence in both the visual aesthetic and story telling, with even the soundtrack being produced in Japan; the opening and ending themes were composed by the legendary Yoko "Cowboy Bebop" Kanno while the score itself was created by Taku Iwasaki, now famous for his acclaimed work on the recent GAINAX anime Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Though it faces stiff competition from the three British cartoons that it's up against, the creative team behind Oban Star-Racers will be celebrating a real coup, having been nominated for such a prestigious British award.

Not to be a 'Negative Nancy' (haha) but I really do doubt it shall win. I haven't seen the Oban itself and three out of the four shows are of very poor quality, Even if that Charlie and Lola thing is stupidly popular.

The fourth one that will probably win will be Shawn the Sheep; purely because the whole world goes crazy for anything Aardman, Especially Wallace and Gromit related things.

Heres to Oban Racer thing anyway !!!

Well, the fact Oban is even on this list is an amazing result. The judges must have been blown away by it to nominate a "foreign" production, so it's not there simply to make up the numbers - I think it stands a good chance of perhaps winning the award.

A Yoko Kanno anime nominated for a BAFTA... Indeed, these are crazy days. Now, I must track down and watch Oban Star-Racers; it looks like the kind of colourful and heart-felt adventure story I love, and this is a good enough recommendation for me.

I haven't seen Oban Star Racer (although after reading about in SFX Anime I do want to see it). Just something that stuck out to me is the fact that it is in the "Best Children's Animation award". I don't know if that is who is OSR is aimed at, but if not, its not really helping shake the connection that anime = childish that it often gets in the UK.

Ive seen a bit of it and have to say its not bad at all.
And I didint have a clue Kanno had done the opening. Although I always said to myself it sounded like something shed make, its not bad.

Anyway Oban ftw.

SchoolRumble4Ever! said:
I'm all for the anime to win but I've seen one of the competition. Shaun the Sheep is actually amazing! I don't know what it is but I love it! Go Shaun!!
Lol, I'm with you as it's a really cool little show and very well made.

Kudos to Oban getting nominated, especially for a 'British' awards ceremony. I hope it does well and get semo recognition from a wider audience.

King Jimmeh said:
I haven't seen Oban Star Racer (although after reading about in SFX Anime I do want to see it). Just something that stuck out to me is the fact that it is in the "Best Children's Animation award". I don't know if that is who is OSR is aimed at, but if not, its not really helping shake the connection that anime = childish that it often gets in the UK.
Oban is a children's animation so no worries on that point. I was always put off by the whole inspired by "Star Wars Pod Racing" premise. That is an irrational and personal choice but it is a stigma that prevented me liking it whenever I saw it. Other than that it is probably good.

Gawyn said:
King Jimmeh said:
I was always put off by the whole inspired by "Star Wars Pod Racing" premise. That is an irrational and personal choice but it is a stigma that prevented me liking it whenever I saw it. Other than that it is probably good.

I thought that too on first look, but if you look at an episode there really isn't any similarity between Oban and the SW Ep 1 "flying thingies".
:)

Pocoyo is easily the best kids show on TV right now.

I tried watching Oban but I can't say it was something I enjoyed.. at all really apart from the look of the show. I wasn't even a fan of Yoko Kanno's Opening theme although the Ending was great.

I had to get use to the character designs, and that took a few episodes, but when I finally got over that, the rest of the story and plot won me over. Arrdman has plenty of gongs on their shelf. Lets see one for the anime.

I'm pretty sure Shaun the Sheep will win, but i will still cross my fingers for Oban, it really would be a nice surprise if it won.
It's not anywhere near being the best anime out there, but once i got into it i really enjoyed it. Some interesting characters, a nice story, and good heart

Back