Online interview with Hayao Miyazaki

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
The Daily Yomiuri have posted an English language interview with world famous anime director Hayao Miyazaki in which he talks about adapting his creative ideas for the big screen, his son's first ever directorial role for Studio Ghibli and the three short movies produced for the popular Ghibli museum.

Also, The Japan Times Online have published an English language review of Gin-iro no Kami no Agito; Studio (Last Exile, Gankutsuou, Hellsing) GONZO's first ever theatrical movie. It scored a mediocre 2.5 out of 5.

Interesting part from the interview:

Studio Ghibli is producing a new animated film, Gedo Senki (Tales from Earthsea) [adapted from the fantasy novel Earthsea series by U.S. author, Ursula K. Le Guin]. The movie will open in July and is directed by your son, Goro Miyazaki. What are your thoughts?

I won't say anything [about the movie], lend a hand or even look it over. I'm not involved in any way. I'm keeping myself to myself in my studio as whenever we see each other we quickly start to feel tension.

The relationship between a parent and a child isn't easy or simple. And I myself have my own standards to evaluate other people as professionals--whoever they may be.

But I'd never say, "Give up!" even if I didn't like something he was doing. I've never said anything like that to him.

Sounds like a scary situation.

I think that they took the piss out of Gin-Iro no Kami no Agito, for no reason.

I've been personally waiting for this anime since i first saw a trailer of it, and it looks spectacular, i think i'll have to ignore this review and just say that Japan are getting too critical on anime for their own good :/

Thats an interesting interview i think. i mean it would be interesting to see what his son has done for a film. also if he did make/release those films based in the meiji era and the Ota Dokan era's..i would like to see them and how he represents them in animated form

Back