[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

For those who are interested, Serial Experiments Lain will be re-released in Japan on Blu-ray at a smaller price. The set will also include an English dub track.

Details:
Release Date - October 23rd 2015
Audio - Japanese & English
Subtitles - None
Discs - 4
SRP Price - ¥14,040 [~£73.17]
Current Amazon Price - ¥10,434 [~£54.38]
Overall cost with Import Deposit (UK estimate) - ¥13,393 [~£69.80]

Ah, don't feel so bad about buying the Funi Limited Edition yesterday then, even though I'm sure the Japanese version looks superior as the US has visual issues.

Buzzkillington said:
Ah, don't feel so bad about buying the Funi Limited Edition yesterday then, even though I'm sure the Japanese version looks superior as the US has visual issues.

Something at the back of my mind is telling me that I read that the JP release was actually horrendous and that Funimation spent a fair bit of effort trying to fix the banding issues.

Rosencrantz said:
Something at the back of my mind is telling me that I read that the JP release was actually horrendous and that Funimation spent a fair bit of effort trying to fix the banding issues.
I'm not sure about the Japanese release, but I know people were angry that the make the whole show look brighter in the Funi release. I'm not overly fussed as I've not seen it in years and I'm sure it will look better than it did back then.

Sentai Filmworks have done some license announcements over the past week:
- Aura: Koga Maryuin’s Last War
- Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei Hertz
- Gatchaman Crowds Insight
- Hayate the Combat Butler: Heaven is a Place on Earth

Their December line-up should be revealed fairly soon with Chaika Season 1 and Monthly Girl's Nozaki-kun pretty much expected to appear.

GKIDS have acquired and plan to release the hit Studio Ghibli film, Only Yesterday with an all new English Dub both theatrically in the US as well as on Blu-ray. Its release will coincide with the films 25th Anniversary. Only Yesterday is a film Directed by Isao Takahata and centres on Taeko Okajima, a 27 year old office lady who goes off on a break to the countryside where she reminiscences about her past as well thinks about her future. The film is an animated adaptation of the manga by Hotaru Okamoto.

90CMu7a.jpg
The English-language version is voiced by Daisy Ridley (“Star Wars: The Force Awakens”), Dev Patel, Ashley Eckstein (“Star Wars Rebels”) and Alison Fernandez (“Orange is the New Black”). The movie will be released early next year to coincide with the film’s 25th anniversary.

“With this 25th anniversary release, a broad new audience will now be able to discover what passionate supporters have known for years,” said David Jesteadt of GKids. “‘Only Yesterday’ is a groundbreaking classic and further demonstration of Isao Takahata’s incredible legacy as a filmmaker.”
Variety.com

I guess Only Yesterday won't be in UK cinemas, maybe some day though. I don't go to the cinema too often these days but I think I'd have to for that.

I hope we'll get a Blu-ray release here too. I'm still tempted to buy the Japanese version anyway.

I'm sure some cinemas would be interested in booking it for a 25th anniversary showing, but I doubt if Studio Canal would give it a proper cinema release. I might lobby my local indie to do a Ghibli retrospective when When Marnie Was There comes out.

Section23 Films December Line-up:

Aura: Koga Maryuin's Last War - Film - 1 DISC RELEASE
Release Date: December 8th | Region: A/1 | Format: Blu-ray/DVD | Languages: English/Japanese | Price (SRP): $39.98/$29.98
Special Features: TBA

Chaika: The Coffin Princess - Complete Season 1
Release Date: December 15th | Region: A/1 | Format: Blu-ray/DVD | Languages: English/Japanese | Price (SRP): $69.98/$59.98
Special Features: Japanese Promos; Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation

Hayate the Combat Butler: Heaven is a Place on Earth - Film - 1 DISC RELEASE
Release Date: December 15th | Region: A/1 | Format: Blu-ray/DVD | Languages: Japanese | Price (SRP): $39.98/$29.98

Lunar Legend Tsukihime - Complete Collection: Sentai Selects
Release Date: December 1st | Region: A/1 | Format: Blu-ray/DVD | Languages: Japanese | Price (SRP): $29.98
Special Features: Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation

Majestic Prince - Complete Collection
Release Date: December 15th | Region: A/1 | Format: Blu-ray/DVD | Languages: English/Japanese | Price (SRP): $99.98/$79.98

Rail Wars - Complete Collection - DVD ONLY DUE TO TBS BLU-RAY HOLDBACK
Release Date: December 8th | Region: 1 | Format: DVD | Languages: Japanese | Price (SRP): $49.98

Space Brothers - Collection 6
Release Date: December 1st | Region: A/1 | Format: Blu-ray/DVD | Languages: English/Japanese | Price (SRP): $59.98/$49.98

black1blade said:
I mean there is a great manga adaptation of the original visual novel. Everyone is waiting on ufotable for a tsukihime anime.

I presume Ufotable would want to wait for the remake to be complete before they even begin adapting that series. I guess in the meantime after Heaven's Feel they could work on other Type Moon projects like Witch on the Holy Night (Mahōtsukai no Yoru). Speaking of which, Girls' Work is the next Type Moon work being animated after Heaven's Feel and Tales of.

I can almost picture the box quotes on the Tsukihime blurb now... 'From the creator of Fate Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works!'

In all seriousness though - yes, the Tsukihime anime is bloody awful. But I think it's stupid when hardcore Type Moon fans point blank pretend it doesn't exist.

Also - for anyone else who has read the original VN (which is far, far superior to the anime) - that's one seriously f**ked up piece of work. I've never read much into the whole 'Nasu is a sexist writer' discussions, but I have to admit I felt uncomfortable reading some of the sex scenes in it.

Back