Panty and Stocking discs may be defective...

I expect a disc replacement for the third DVD will be absolutely no problem in this case; for once it's a blessing it's DVD-only, as remastering and redoing one disc will be considerably cheaper for them than redoing a BD (which they have frequently said is impossible for them as things currently stand). While it's true they have a poor record of replacing faulty discs in the past, in this case the fault is so severe that it seems unlikely they'll be able to do that.

Still, what an embarrassing mess to have made, especially as they have a history of glitches which would have been nipped in the bud with a simple watch through the material before release already. I think returning your set on principle if you have one ordered to pressure them into being more thorough in checking their work is a good idea. Otherwise hopefully next week when they've investigated they'll be able to organise a direct disc swap for people who can't send theirs back.

R

I expect a disk replacement (not to mentiona removal from stores) to be standard.

Wether we get it or not is another story altogether.

Keep in mind this is the same company who went with the first print of Haruhi Season 2 with the mono JP audio and never fixed it.

ConanThe3rd said:
Keep in mind this is the same company who went with the first print of Haruhi Season 2 with the mono JP audio and never fixed it.
Still not amused that their second release of Season 2 wasn't corrected either.

VoxPhantom said:
ConanThe3rd said:

Don't be confused by a liscencing screw over compared to a massive gaffe.

The US didn't have Stereo audio either thus there's no way Manga could have got it, there's no actual 'problem' that needs fixing.

This on the other hand is something that should never have happened. If they had just taken the 1st mass produced disc off the machine and had a quick watch they could of caught it weeks before they sent stock to shops.

Catch it early and put out a press release announcing a delay in release due to a production error. That'd actually score them some points, sure we'd be annoyed by a delay but thankful that bad stock was never distributed.

Rosencrantz said:
VoxPhantom said:
ConanThe3rd said:

The US didn't have Stereo audio either thus there's no way Manga could have got it, there's no actual 'problem' that needs fixing.

Bandai replaced the faulty Haruhi discs in the US. And as soon as Manga announced the Haruhi S2 licence, fans were speaking up, trying to make them aware of the problem in the US so that they could avoid it here. That didn't work.

Just Passing Through said:
Rosencrantz said:
VoxPhantom said:
ConanThe3rd said:

Bandai replaced the faulty Haruhi discs in the US. And as soon as Manga announced the Haruhi S2 licence, fans were speaking up, trying to make them aware of the problem in the US so that they could avoid it here. That didn't work.

Ah, my bad, thats what I get for doing only 10 mins reasearch on something I wasn't 100% on. Still, at least in part Manga have their hands tied in these situations by what is given to them. They are basically a distribution company thesedays, and going by P&S they should perhaps stick to that line of work.

VoxPhantom said:
ConanThe3rd said:
You mean to say there was a second printing and they still screwed it up?

ConanThe3rd said:
VoxPhantom said:
ConanThe3rd said:
Not sure whether it was a second printing, but the December release of the 'Complete Series 2' used the same flawed products that were included in the summer 'Deluxe Series 2' release. I queried Jerome about it and was told it was a 'difficult position' because they'd have to re-author the discs themselves.

Product recall in this case is absolutely essential. No ifs or buts. If fans are asked to pay for a product, then they do have th ebasic right to expect that product will be fit for purpose.

And if it costs Manga Ent. money to fix... too bad.

VoxPhantom said:
ConanThe3rd said:
VoxPhantom said:
ConanThe3rd said:
Not sure whether it was a second printing, but the December release of the 'Complete Series 2' used the same flawed products that were included in the summer 'Deluxe Series 2' release. I queried Jerome about it and was told it was a 'difficult position' because they'd have to re-author the discs themselves.
Thier contract people need a serious kick in the teeth if they're being left in these sorts of situations. BEI Screwed up and released a "Correct" set, the onus is on them morally to provide Madman (and subsiquently Manga) with those corected masters. If it isn't legaly then something has clearly gone wrong at the negotiation table.

Ahhh, just when I was going to give Manga some credit for getting a disc out close to the American release, Sod's law states that something had to go wrong! The common denominator seems to be when they venture out and encode something on their own. Either they should get some better quality control or stick to being a local Madman distributor since that's what they seem to be best at :p

Now I'm going to be careful about whatever else I pre-order from Manga where there's a likelihood that they've authored the discs themselves. I'd like to see some reassurance that steps are being taken to improve QC for future releases so we don't end up paying for more faulty discs. Hopefully as this is a DVD release they can afford to replace the discs.

Gaaagh, now I'm getting flashbacks to the first release of Ghost in the Shell on DVD where the English dub was completely out of sync for the whole movie!

Hanners said:
Manga Entertainment are investigating, with a statement that suggests we'll see a disc replacement programme for the release.
As with any problem, this is step one; namely admitting you have a problem. So we'll see if they go though the rest in due time.

Even Kaze's goofed in this sort of thing, we never did get a full explanation for Persona 4 following Kaze France's oh so intresting little spat with Aniplex.

Rui said:
If some of the Australians are leaving discs in NTSC to save money as was discussed a while ago, could it be that we'll be seeing more of this kind of thing in future..?
Madman asked if people would mind on their forums, not heard anything since. MVM's .hack//Quantum discs are NTSC. Don't know who authored them, but they said it was probably a one-off.
Manga have said they "hit a brick wall" on releasing discs in NTSC but would not go into detail. Besides, this has no bearing since the point of NTSC discs would be reducing costs by using existing NTSC assets, and this problem occurred because Manga had it PAL authored here.

reborn said:
Did Jerome want to leave for his break on a bad note or something?
It was a special parting gift for Jeremy :p

Shiroi Hane said:
Rui said:
If some of the Australians are leaving discs in NTSC to save money as was discussed a while ago, could it be that we'll be seeing more of this kind of thing in future..?
Madman asked if people would mind on their forums, not heard anything since. MVM's .hack//Quantum discs are NTSC. Don't know who authored them, but they said it was probably a one-off.
Manga have said they "hit a brick wall" on releasing discs in NTSC but would not go into detail. Besides, this has no bearing since the point of NTSC discs would be reducing costs by using existing NTSC assets, and this problem occurred because Manga had it PAL authored here.

What I mean is, if we assume the "brick wall" was due to Manga UK realising we are R2 (like Japan), which would mean releasing in NTSC was a contractual impossibility, we could end up with a situation where R4 is releasing NTSC to cut costs but the UK is forced to do its own discs in Europe to keep the PAL situation going. Which could lead to more in-house Manga jobs like this, and more issues with authoring when nobody checks the finished discs. Obviously this is just conjecture at this point...

Of course it's utterly stupid because any Japanese person can play PAL discs on a PC anyway and BD is more desirable, but we seem to be the victims of stupid agreements quite frequently over here.

R

Been going through the press copies I received on Friday and hit the same errors everyone else is discussing, the last 3 episodes and apparently the 'Fave moments' extra. I have to admit with episodes 11 and 12 I almost wondered if it was intentional artsy stuff, being a Gainax show but when the infamous epilogue had the same problem I realised my mistake.

I don't think there's much use getting mad at Manga. Yes, something like this is an annoyance but at least they're looking into it. There's certainly been worse responses from companies to these kind of situations.

Back