Petition to keep News talk in its own section

What do you think of putting news/current events chat in its own forum subsection/thread?

• Yes, this is a decent idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it is important to me that this is chit chat.

• Either is fine for me.

• Total voters

Nyani

Student Council President
I come to AUKN to talk about happy stuff. Anime, Games, etc. But while I can personally stay -out- of icky threads to avoid reading them, I can't avoid seeing the headline when looking for active threads. The latest one pushed me over the edge as -I'm eating- and it's depressing in general without that even being a factor.

I come for the happy. If I want to discuss the news I can talk to -anyone- on the street or where I work as that's all they seem capable of talking about. Personally though I avoid the news as it's depressing and effects me.

I propose news discussion gets its own subsection of the chit chat forum, or a thread for news/current events discussion.

A 'current affairs' thread within Random would make a lot of sense. There was a 'politics' thread once upon a time when a similar thing started to happen with politics (it's buried now, but it kept going for a long time and covered a range of topics). I don't think it's big or deserving enough for it's own subsection though.

I didn't vote, because the way AUKN usually works is that someone would just take it upon themselves to create this thread and others would take responsibility for posting in it or not - We're a bit anarchic like that. ;)

Mut, the Music and Film/TV sections would disagree with you. Them two sections definitely need to be joined up while we're having a moan. Separating things up on a small forum like this just excessive.

How all-encompassing do you want AUKN to get though Mutsumi? I'm all for randomness but this is primarily a manga & anime site... If you create a subsection for things like news and political discussion it could easily become a 'serious business' area and people might not feel as comfortable speaking their (random, thought provoking and frequently amusing) minds like they do currently.

Got to agree with ayase, on both his posts.

I have no idea what the thread is that prompted this thread, but if the title was actually inappropriate, then that's the bigger problem.

ilmaestro said:
Got to agree with ayase, on both his posts.

I have no idea what the thread is that prompted this thread, but if the title was actually inappropriate, then that's the bigger problem.

I would imagine it's the one regarding a mother killing their child over a diaper.

It's a really, really sad thing to happen, to be fair. And, the title is depressing. I've not even read the topic yet.

I recommend the following changes:

The Music and TV forum be combined into one sub-forum and call it the Mixed Media subforum or something like that

A News section be made within the Random Chit-Chat subforum - A sub-forum within a sub-forum I guess

Lastly, but definitely not lea-

KILL YOUR FAMILY,
KILL YOUR FAMILY,
KILL YOUR FAMILY O_O

ummm yes i think so.

I always hear interesting news and want to discuss it but i feel i dont want to make news topic after news topic in a light hearted forum section.

Jayme said:
Mut, the Music and Film/TV sections would disagree with you. Them two sections definitely need to be joined up while we're having a moan. Separating things up on a small forum like this just excessive.
Thats all well & good, but I wasn't talking about either of those sections, nor do I have an opinion on either of them as I rarely ever use them. Merely I was responding to both suggestions regarding a general discussion/new/etc subsection or thread. Long story short, if it has a subsection then I will use it plenty, but if it is all restricted to one thread I wont bother.

ayase said:
How all-encompassing do you want AUKN to get though Mutsumi? I'm all for randomness but this is primarily a manga & anime site... If you create a subsection for things like news and political discussion it could easily become a 'serious business' area and people might not feel as comfortable speaking their (random, thought provoking and frequently amusing) minds like they do currently.
Having a general discussion/new/current affairs/etc section hardly makes AUKN all encompassing. To be honest, random chat is a good enough place for that kind of talk as it is at the moment, but if such discussions were limited to a single thread, then they're dead to me & I will not use that thread. I'll still post threads about the news if I want to discuss them here though, although I have no interest in posting news one might regard as 'depressing' or otherwise likely to make someone feel sad, as I'd rather post something interesting & intriguing, like when they bred those bioluminescent cats a few years ago. Thats the kinda thing I'd post, not "Hooded Chavs beat man to death with his own hip replacement", or other similarly bad things.

Besides, if it had a subsection of its own, people who didn't want to talk about that kind of stuff don't have to go to it & can choose to ignore it, but people who want to post about news & other discussion/debatey things can. Does no one any harm at all.

Now I think about it, I cannot remember the last time I actually talked about an anime on these forums. I don't come here to talk about anime, I come here to talk with anime fans.

I actually kinda switch off when the chat turns to anime discussion, because I don't try to keep up with the latest shows, & have still yet to watch even such essentials as Full Metal Panic or Fumoffu. I do like chatting with anime fans about non-anime things though, because it feels like you are amongst your own kind & that everyone understands each other.

Mutsumi said:
I actually kinda switch off when the chat turns to anime discussion, because I don't try to keep up with the latest shows, & have still yet to watch even such essentials as Full Metal Panic or Fumoffu. I do like chatting with anime fans about non-anime things though, because it feels like you are amongst your own kind & that everyone understands each other.
Yeah, I always feel like I can chat about non-anime stuff with anyone in the world (theoretically), whereas I can only chat about anime with anime fans (obviously), so I like to maximise the opportunity.

I use Chat in the evenings I'm free and willing to talk to users. Otherwise, I'm too tierd, got other things to do or I've got nothing new to talk about.

As for the "News/current affairs" sub forum, I feel like it'll go the same way as it does here:
Make a single-subject thread in it --> posts made for a week --> thread dies.

It would litterally be another forum of "old news" cluttering up the place, as people will move on from it. The whole Madaline Mccains story still pops up in the media every so often, but not many will read it anymore...
That's why it's better in my view to leave it as it is. It's all gonna clutter somewhere, so why not just have it in one discussion thread?

Finally, if you feel like you aint going to like a thread from the title, then dont get pulled into it. If you're still curious, then you should expect some uncomfortable/boring/annoying suprises in them.
However, I prefer the words of Paramore - "Ignorance is your new best friend!" ;)

Back